The Student Room Group

Paramedic without science a levels

What routes are there to become a paramedic without science A levels?
I chose a double IT awards and Business (ik the opposite of science), but during year 13 realised what I would like to do. Its too late to redo my A levels, but cannot find a straight answer which is causing me an incredible amount of stress
thanks,
Marshall
Original post by Spitefuljoker
What routes are there to become a paramedic without science A levels?
I chose a double IT awards and Business (ik the opposite of science), but during year 13 realised what I would like to do. Its too late to redo my A levels, but cannot find a straight answer which is causing me an incredible amount of stress
thanks,
Marshall

Hi there

It's good that you've decided what you want to do, you've got there a lot quicker than most people.

It is true that you need a level 3 qualification (A-level or equivalent) to get into paramedic science at university and that, with your current subjects you wouldn't be able to go straight into it.

The quickest way therefore would be for you to do whats called an Access to HE course. This is a level 3 course designed for people who want to study a certain subject at university but don't have the right qualifications to do that subject. These courses take one year, whereas if you were to go back to do science A-levels or a BTEC, that would take two years.

You can do access courses in things like health science and health and social care, which should get you a place on a paramedic science degree. Some colleges actually offer access courses in paramedic science directly, which, of course, would be preferable.
You can search for these courses on this website:

www.accesstohe.ac.uk/course-search

or you could contact local colleges directly to see what they do. Most major local colleges offer access courses.

Note that if you're 19 or over when you start the course, you'll be eligible for the Advanced Learner Loan, which, if you go on to university, gets added to your student loan - the colleges can tell you about this too.

Hope this helps, let us know if you have any questions about anything - Mark
This is amazing - thank you Mark
For some reason I have never heard of these so will most likely have a lot of questions as I do research over the next few weeks.
Does distance learning for the access course have an affect on the course content or the final qualification? The idea of doing the course from home seems much better, I wonder if theres a catch.
Whats the difference between graded and un-graded credits? It states there 45 graded and 15 un-graded for a total of 60 required for the diploma
Thanks again :smile:
Original post by Spitefuljoker
This is amazing - thank you Mark
For some reason I have never heard of these so will most likely have a lot of questions as I do research over the next few weeks.
Does distance learning for the access course have an affect on the course content or the final qualification? The idea of doing the course from home seems much better, I wonder if theres a catch.
Whats the difference between graded and un-graded credits? It states there 45 graded and 15 un-graded for a total of 60 required for the diploma
Thanks again :smile:

Morning,

You're very welcome, glad to be able to help.

No, there's no difference between distance learning and learning in a college in terms of the qualification you come out with, the distance learning method is designed to help people study when they need to work, look after kids etc. Some people prefer to study at home and some people prefer to go in in person, it just depends on your learning style.

Before choosing a course, it's worth having a look at some universities to check what their entry requirements are. This is where you'll see mention of credits. Ungraded credits are ones where it's a simple pass or fail, graded ones have a grade scale; some universities might ask for a certain number of graded ones.

You can look at the entry requirements for universities on the course descriptions on the UCAS website. This way you could come up with a shortlist of universities that you know will accept the access course you're applying for. You can do the search on the following website, just type in paramedic science...

https://digital.ucas.com/search

Happy searching - Mark
Hi
I would like to study paramdic science at university, but I do not have any a levels, is it still possible for me to study this?
You would need to do a level 3 qualification such as the Access to HE course mentioned in post #2 above.
Okay thank you can you just do the access course then go into university? And do you need maths and English gcse for this?
Thank you
Maths and English language GCSEs are usually required for universities, and you might also need a science GCSE for paramedic science. Check out the Entry requirements section on the paramedic course pages of uni websites that you might consider applying to. They will state what GCSEs and A levels (or equivalent) are needed. For example, for Paramedic Science at Sheffield Hallam:

UCAS points - 128

From A levels which must include at least 32 points from either a natural science subject, such as Biology, Chemistry or Physics, or equivalent BTEC National qualifications which includes natural modules. We do not accept AS levels or general studies.

For example:
ABB at A Level including relevant subject(s)
DDM in BTEC Extended Diploma
Distinction overall from a T level qualification
A combination of qualifications including relevant subject(s)
You can find information on making sense of UCAS tariff points here and use the UCAS tariff calculator to work out your points.

Or

Access to HE Diploma from a QAA recognised Access to HE course in health studies, health science, nursing or another science-based course. Normally we require 15 of the level 3 credits to be graded at distinction with 9 of these distinctions from natural science units.
If you are in the process of completing the FdSc Professional Practice in Health and Social Care at one of our partner colleges and are looking to progress your career as a registered professional, we would welcome an application from you. Please note the different application routes below:
Completing the level 4 Certificate of Higher Education in Professional Practice in Health and Social Care means you can apply via UCAS to be considered for entry at Year 1 of your chosen professional degree
Completing the full two year FdSc to level 5 means you can apply to be considered for entry in to Year 2 of this professional degree. This is a direct application process in accordance with the partnership arrangement between Sheffield Hallam University and your college, not via UCAS. Please note that places to commence this course in Year 2 are limited.
Other equivalent qualifications are considered individually, and include previous degrees that are grade 2.2 or above

And

GCSEs (single or double) in

Science at grade C or 4 or equivalents*
Maths at grade C or 4 or equivalents**
English Language or Literature at grade C or 4 or equivalents***

https://www.shu.ac.uk/courses/paramedic-science/bsc-honours-paramedic-science/full-time/2024

Quick Reply

Latest