The Student Room Group

A Level prediction scores on application

hi there! i’m a student from Indonesia and i’m applying to 5 unis in uk for mechanical engineering ( imperial, bristol, ucl, lboro and sheffield). i know that for most of these unis, the minimum entry requirement requires at least one A* ( two for imperial). however, my school doesn't give out A* predictions as their policy and i'm stuck with triple A predictions. i'm pretty sure that this will affect my application but i don't know to what extent. i really want to go to imperial but with the triple A predictions, i'm not really confident with getting a conditional offer at all. is there any chance that i could still get an offer? or is it just a waste of time hahaha. i have a senior who got accepted at Imperial without A* predictions but even he doesn't know how it was possible. if anyone knows the answer it would really help me out!! oh and btw, when do offers usually come out? I sent my application on the 19th of december and i really can't stop thinking about the offers.
(edited 4 years ago)
Could you talk to your school (whoever your UCAS coordinator is) and explain that you’re applying to these unis that require A*s so not having one may hinder your application? Otherwise you could request that they put something brief in your reference that says your school doesn’t give A* predications but they believe you have the capability to achieve one. You could also call admissions to the unis that need A*s, explain your situation and see if they have any advice for you. Hope this helps x
Reply 2
Original post by Torigracex
Could you talk to your school (whoever your UCAS coordinator is) and explain that you’re applying to these unis that require A*s so not having one may hinder your application? Otherwise you could request that they put something brief in your reference that says your school doesn’t give A* predications but they believe you have the capability to achieve one. You could also call admissions to the unis that need A*s, explain your situation and see if they have any advice for you. Hope this helps x

yeah the thing is i already submitted my application so my referee can't put that in the reference letter. i guess my best choice is to call the admissions office isnt it?
Original post by rizki16
yeah the thing is i already submitted my application so my referee can't put that in the reference letter. i guess my best choice is to call the admissions office isnt it?

Yep that’s probably the best bet now since you can’t change what’s on your application! Worth a shot definitely
Reply 4
Original post by Torigracex
Yep that’s probably the best bet now since you can’t change what’s on your application! Worth a shot definitely

alright thanks a lot!!
No problem! Good luck x
Original post by rizki16
hi there! i’m a student from Indonesia and i’m applying to 5 unis in uk for mechanical engineering ( imperial, bristol, ucl, lboro and sheffield). i know that for most of these unis, the minimum entry requirement requires at least one A* ( two for imperial). however, my school doesn't give out A* predictions as their policy and i'm stuck with triple A predictions. i'm pretty sure that this will affect my application but i don't know to what extent. i really want to go to imperial but with the triple A predictions, i'm not really confident with getting a conditional offer at all. is there any chance that i could still get an offer? or is it just a waste of time hahaha. i have a senior who got accepted at Imperial without A* predictions but even he doesn't know how it was possible. if anyone knows the answer it would really help me out!! oh and btw, when do offers usually come out? I sent my application on the 19th of december and i really can't stop thinking about the offers.

How on earth can your school have a policy not to give out A* predictions?????
Reply 7
Original post by student424
How on earth can your school have a policy not to give out A* predictions?????

no idea honestly hahahaha my teachers said they weren't allowed to give out A*s and from then on i knew i was in trouble
I have seen people in the UK also saying that their school/college won't predict A*. Definitely speak to admissions to explain this as it is not your fault that they have such a rule.
Reply 9
Original post by ReadingMum
I have seen people in the UK also saying that their school/college won't predict A*. Definitely speak to admissions to explain this as it is not your fault that they have such a rule.

if i were to call the admissions office, should i call the number in the email they sent me or the number in the university website?
Original post by rizki16
if i were to call the admissions office, should i call the number in the email they sent me or the number in the university website?

anyway you can - you will get passed through to the right people. Or send an email.
Reply 11
Original post by ReadingMum
anyway you can - you will get passed through to the right people. Or send an email.

i sent imperial an email but it took them over a month to reply :frown: i guess it's better for me to try to call them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending