How do I start running as a hobby Watch

DPat1210
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I want to start running/ jogging around my village as a hobby to help myself become physically and mentally healthier. Where do I start? Any advice? What qualifies as suitable clothing for such an activity baring in mind my location in the north east of England where it is always cold. How can a maximise the benefits. Thanks
ReadingMum
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
you could do a couch to 5k plan - there are loads online. Wear layers as you will warm up rapidly - hat and gloves can be handy as long as you have pockets to hold them when you warm up. Wear bright and reflective gear if you going out in the evening. Stick to routes with pavements and think about personal safety.
Or find a local club - I joined one on the 4th Jan last year after a NY resolution to move more. I have never run before and they have been very welcoming.
PollyParrot23
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Like the above person, I'd recommend Couch-2-5K which is free to download. I started it a few months back and didn't finish the last couple of weeks but started making my own running interval workouts on an interval timer app. In terms of suitable clothing, when I go running now I wear long running leggings, a sports vest with a long sleeve running top over that (somewhere between a jacket and a top...warm but light) which gloves and a headband to cover my ears. My biggest advice is to get yourself warm inside by doing jogging on the spot, star jumps, press ups, burpees or whatever. Do it in the clothes your going running in and it gets a layer of heat in so when you go outside you don't feel the cold as much.
Jpfitness
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I agree with the posts above me, always warm up, do some stretches. The couch to 5k plan is good .The way I got into running I picked a route that I liked and timed how long it took me to do it and to keep it exciting for me I'd keep trying to improve on my time.

Make sure you have good running trainers aswell, I personally like to wear adidas .
bestgtg
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
how do u find running routes near u? I've wanted to start running as well but would like to follow a route rather than create my own cuz that seems too intimidating
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.39%
No (241)
33.61%

Watched Threads