Can any Christian please explain the Trinity to me - GCSE RE

Watch
This discussion is closed.
username4358788
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm currently revising for GCSE RE, Christianity, and as I am not a Christian I must admit I find it quite perplexing. Could any Christian please explain the Trinity in the way that they understand it, and also how it influences their life, thnx
student_life2020
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
explanation :

the trinity is a belief in there being only one god
but that one god has three equal roles
- the father
- the son
- the holy spirit

BUT the father is NOT the son
the SON is not the HOLY SPIRIT
-> in other words god has 3 parts, but none of them link together
all of them are individual forms

how it influences there life :

- the 3 aspects of god help christians understand god much better
- it emphasis all of his powers
- christians bless themselves by making a cross sign and offering prayers 'in the name of the father, son and holy spirit'
- the belief in the trinity is central to each christians individual daily relation with god

* this is a brief summary of the holy trinity, if you need I can also go in dept of the individual roles of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit
boods8897
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
We got taught a saying in RE - Jesus was 100% human, yet 100% divine. It's a similar thing with the Holy Trinity. There's the Father in heaven, the Son on earth and the Spirit among us, so in that sense they are 3 separate entities. At the same time, the Father, Son and Holy Spirit all come together to form one God.

I guess the day to day impact is they (God the Father and God the Son) act on you using the Holy Spirit, so you would pray to them to bring the Holy Spirit down on you.
Jesus as a man is meant to remind you of His teachings, and that a sin-free man gave up his life to redeem us, so you pray to be like Jesus.
God the Father is omnipotent, all knowing and all forgiving, and so you pray to Him and trust in Him.

One doxology in church begins 'through him, with him and in him, in the unity of the holy spirit...' so you pray through Jesus, with Jesus and in God, with the Holy Spirit uniting you all.

I have absolutely no idea if that makes anything any clearer xD
redmeercat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Think of it like a human. The head, body and legs are all part of this one thing. However, the difference is that the trinity are all completely God, rather than just part. But at the same time, the trinity all together is completely God.
username4358788
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thanks!
username1539513
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Kayb7893)
I'm currently revising for GCSE RE, Christianity, and as I am not a Christian I must admit I find it quite perplexing. Could any Christian please explain the Trinity in the way that they understand it, and also how it influences their life, thnx
Try and think of it like water, steam and ice; it’s the same molecule, just three different forms of it

The Holy Spirit enters your body at the point you give your life to Christ and empowers you to live a life pleasing to Christ
aiwiloistyping
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by 6' korean men__)
I can explain, my parents are catholic

The trinity is taehyung, thick eyebrows, monlid eyes and big d -ick. The holy trinity see. 3 in 1
As a Catholic I wouldn't say so

The Trinity is 3 persons - the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit - but they are all 1.
Think about a clover/shamrock plant - it has three leaves but it's one plant. It works the same.

It's difficult to get your head around this idea (because of the 'epistemic distance', it's the divide between humans and God which make Him remain mysterious, we don't know everything like He does). It is the central belief of Christians because Jesus is the Son of God but is also God, but they are different at the same time.

For the evidence needed in answers you could use:
St Patrick - the analogy of the shamrock plant/clover
John 1 - "there was the Word, the Word was with God and the Word was God"
Beginning of all prayers - "in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit" shows importance of this belief
Eucharistic prayer
Nicene Creed - shows each person of the Trinity has a unique role - everyone pronounces this belief collectively
CCC 262 - belief in the Trinity is the "central mystery" of the Christian faith

I hope this helped at least a little bit
Last edited by aiwiloistyping; 2 months ago
Zarek
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
One of the more nonsensical contradiction rich aspects of the faith that is wide open to challenge by atheists and other detractors
siodvcnseuv
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
How on earth can 3 = 1 ??? This is complete non-sense. God is one and only, he doesn't need ANYONE else. Otherwise, you would be saying that he's imperfect. God is one and he is perfect, WORSHIP him alone! and Don't make any partners with him.
aiwiloistyping
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by siodvcnseuv)
How on earth can 3 = 1 ??? This is complete non-sense. God is one and only, he doesn't need ANYONE else. Otherwise, you would be saying that he's imperfect. God is one and he is perfect, WORSHIP him alone! and Don't make any partners with him.
It seems to make no sense because we can't comprehend/understand everything like God can. God is one, there is no one else partnering up with Him, there isn't 'anyone else'. There is only one God who exists as three persons: the Father, who created everything, the Son, saviour of the world, and the Holy Spirit who guides helps and inspires us.
Last edited by aiwiloistyping; 2 months ago
ektasmar
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by aiwiloistyping)
It seems to make no sense because we can't comprehend/understand everything like God can. God is one, there is no one else partnering up with Him, there isn't 'anyone else'. There is only one God who exists as three persons: the Father, who created everything, the Son, saviour of the world, and the Holy Spirit who guides helps and inspires us.
True.As a Greek Orthodox,there is not anyone else or anything else that gives such richness in mind and soul as the Holy Trinity. That's why God cannot be explained,as He is infinite,the Alpha and the Omega,the beginning of things and the end of them.He is everywhere!The Holy Spirit is inside every human soul,without us knowing!He blesses us all,whether we are believers or not!
Last edited by ektasmar; 2 months ago
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (23)
10.22%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (134)
59.56%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (30)
13.33%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (33)
14.67%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (5)
2.22%

Watched Threads