The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Applied to KCL with Grade 5 English

I’ve applied to KCL for Computer Science but I don’t think I meet the requirements for English Language.

I have a grade 5 in GCSE English Language, but on the website, their English Language requirement is ‘Band D’ which says I need a grade 6 or B in GCSE English Language. But on other parts of the website it says they just want 5 GCSEs A*-C including maths and english.

Will I get rejected immediately or do I still have a chance?

Other Info:

A Level Predicted Grades: A*AA (A* in Maths)
GCSEs: 877755543 (Failed RE since I didn’t try lol)
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Y11SI
I’ve applied to KCL for Computer Science but I don’t think I meet the requirements for English Language.

I have a grade 5 in GCSE English Language, but on the website, their English Language requirement is ‘Band D’ which says I need a grade 6 or B in GCSE English Language. But on other parts of the website it says they just want 5 GCSEs A*-C including maths and english.

Other Info:

Talk to admissions, but I believe they want a B @ GCSE. Better to talk and ask before being rejected. If you have a better grade in Eng Lit then you can mention that. It wouldnt surprise me if they reject you outright if you dont get agreement beforehand. Shame you didnt resit.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Someone I know got a 4 in English and is currently an undergrad...

Maybe a 6 is for internationals - this is what Oxford wants.
I’ve spoken to the kings college admission team and I’ve asked them regarding this. They said that the English language requirements are more for the international students. And that if we have a Grade 5 it would be fine
Original post by thenoname
I’ve spoken to the kings college admission team and I’ve asked them regarding this. They said that the English language requirements are more for the international students. And that if we have a Grade 5 it would be fine

So if its more for international students why dud they put GCSE requirments in Band D?
Original post by KueQ22
So if its more for international students why dud they put GCSE requirments in Band D?

i honestly don't know lol. i just stated what they told me.
Reply 6
can I ask if they accepted your application with a grade 5 in english language or not, because I'm in the same position right now
Reply 7
Original post by jeonshii
can I ask if they accepted your application with a grade 5 in english language or not, because I'm in the same position right now

same doug
but English is my second language
Original post by Y11SI

Other Info:

im currently in your position. what happened? did they reject you cause of GCSE requirements or did they accept?

im currently in your position what happened? did they reject you cause of GCSE requirements or did they accept?
Original post by tsr_leo
same doug

im currently in your position what happened? did they reject you cause of GCSE requirements or did they accept?
what happened
Original post by kdhillon2211937

i got rejected but im not sure whether it was solely because of my GCSE requirements

i got accepted to UCL instead though so KCL can suck a big one
Original post by tsr_leo
i got rejected but im not sure whether it was solely because of my GCSE requirements

Which course is it
Original post by Belleeeparty
Which course is it

i applied for comp sci with management at kcl and information management for business at ucl
Original post by tsr_leo

What grade did you have in English?
What course did you apply for UCL?
Reply 16
Original post by Y11SI

Other Info:

I’m in somewhat the same position. I got a five in English language and a seven in maths. I’m doing maths,economics and physics a levels. I’m on track for very good grades but during gcse was a bit distracted and got not great grades. I ended up with 777665554443 and I did the resit but was wondering if I don’t get a six in the resit can I not apply any good uni for finance since bath and kings and other ones all need a six?

Quick Reply

Latest