The Student Room Group

What is the Role of a criminal trial

Hi I’m supposed to be talking about the role of a criminal trial but I’m not sure how to answer this question as I don’t know exactly what it means by roles, I’m pretty sure I’m not supposed to be talking about each persons role for example the accused or the barrister. Would appreciate if anybody could help. Thanks in advance
Reply 1
Probably like what's the reason for doing them the way they're done, and even the point of doing them at all.

Why do we have innocent until proven guilty, why do we have jurors, why are jurors randoms off the street, why do judges and lawyers have funny wigs etc.
I'm really not wanting to be patronising, but if you are supposed to find out who is involved in a criminal trial and what roles they play (ie solicitor, barrister, judge etc) this is very easy to research. You would be best served by visiting your local magistrate/crown court because they have very helpful posters outside the courtrooms explaining all of this.

To start you off:

A defendant is the person on trial. His lawyers are a solicitor and/or a barrister. they speak on the Defendant's behalf.

A case is prosecuted by the Crown Prosecution Service (sometimes referred to as 'the Crown' or 'the Prosecution'). A solicitor or barrister will represent the prosecution.

A judge will decide issues of law and procedure. If you are in the Crown Court, a person's guilt is decided by a jury. The prosecution will present evidence and the defence will challenge that evidence/present their own evidence. Then a jury will decide. If it is the magistrates' court, then there are three judges 'magistrates' who will decide instead of a jury.

That's a really basic view. There's enough there for you to research further :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending