This discussion is closed.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
B1547 – Life Sentence Bill 2020, Glaz MP

Life Sentence Bill 2020

An Act requiring all life sentences to be carried out fully.

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1: Life Sentencing.
(1) All life sentences must be fully carried out.
(2) For the purposes of this Act:—
(2) a. "fully carried out" means that the criminal may not be released from jail until they die.

2: Exemption
(1) There shall be no exemptions to this Act

4: Extent
This Act extends to the United Kingdom.

5: Commencement
The provisions of this Act come into force immediately.

6: Short Title
This Act may be cited as the Life Sentence Bill 2020.
Glaz
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Again, sorry about the lack of notes, I'm still new to this :hide:
SnowMiku
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(PRSOM)

I do agree with this bill, there are other ways to effectively give a life sentence, and to just have life be life makes a bunch more sense than "Life for 30 years but yay parole, you're still a bit of a douchebag but eh whatever".
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Problem with the commencement date is that would require more prison cells immediately. Those cells need to be built and that requires money, which this bill does not provide. Unless we are planning to employ the use of outdoor prisons (something I don't currently like the idea of), then it simply has to be a no.
The RAR
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think in the exemption they may be released if their plea is successful, some criminals do change so I really don't see the point in keeping them locked up forever.
The Mogg
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Forcing all life sentences to be lifelong can be fairly counter productive, if someone given a life sentence has shown that they have been rehabilitated then we're simply keeping them in for the sake of keeping them in.
Glaz
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by The RAR)
I think in the exemption they may be released if their plea is successful, some criminals do change so I really don't see the point in keeping them locked up forever.
(Original post by The Mogg)
Forcing all life sentences to be lifelong can be fairly counter productive, if someone given a life sentence has shown that they have been rehabilitated then we're simply keeping them in for the sake of keeping them in.
If the crime was that bad that it deserved a life sentence though...
If someone got sentenced to x amount of years (i.e. not life) then they have a chance for rehabilitation, but if someone's (theoretically) supposed to be in jail for their whole life, that means that the crime was so heinous that they don't have the capacity for rehabilitation.

That's how I understand life sentences at least.
Last edited by Glaz; 1 month ago
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Glaz)
If the crime was that bad that it deserved a life sentence though...
If someone got sentenced to x amount of years (i.e. not life) then they have a chance for rehabilitation, but if someone's (theoretically) supposed to be in jail for their whole life, that means that the crime was so heinous that they don't have the capacity for rehabilitation.

That's how I understand life sentences at least.
Except that's not how the laws intended to do when they were passed. They were passed on the assumption those who have proven to have changed could be released early.
Glaz
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Baron of Sealand)
Except that's not how the laws intended to do when they were passed. They were passed on the assumption those who have proven to have changed could be released early.
That's my point - if there was a chance of rehab then they shouldn't be given a full life sentence, otherwise what was the point of giving it? If someone was given x years and let out I can understand but if they were given life then from what I can understand that means that there isn't a chance of rehab
Joleee
Badges: 18
Report 1 month ago
the problem is the words of sentencing are misleading. if someone is given a life sentence, then surely their sentence should be for life so as not to confuse the public, ammi right?

we need better clarity. in practice, you get a sentence and your sentence is actually spent half the time out of jail (which nobody knows about, which is truth i am afraid).

disappointed your other bill is withdrawn but i also understand. Glaz i totally agree with you.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Will copy my remarks over verbatim from the government sub:

Life should generally be intended to mean life, I agree.

But there are two things to bear in mind here that mean that I don't think it's this simple:

First of all, there's the ECHR ruling that requires life sentences to be reviewed and the prisoner considered for release after a certain amount of time, I don't remember whether the court specified the length of time, but I suspect not, because some jurisdictions work around it by using very long but time-limited sentences, e.g. 200 years.

Second, if life is to mean life then it's an excessive sentence in my opinion for some crimes that currently carry a life sentence. A review needs to take place of this first.

I think the removal of early release on compassionate grounds, which seems to disappear almost by accident here, is also problematic.
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you were to want the tariff to match the sentence 'as advertised' if you will (life meaning life, to use that term), then I do agree with Fez in that you'd then want to review which offences carry a life sentence and it is quite possible that some of them would need moving out of that category.
Connor27
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I fully support this.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Another problem with the wording of this bill, it doesn't allow for new evidence to find a person innocent by my reading.

Once you are given a life sentence it must be "fully carried out" and the wording suggests there isn't now any appeal for life sentences.
SoggyCabbages
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I support this bill 100%. Prison is for punishment and there should be no chance whatsoever for parole when it comes to serious crime and life sentences in general.
Last edited by SoggyCabbages; 1 month ago
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Glaz)
That's my point - if there was a chance of rehab then they shouldn't be given a full life sentence, otherwise what was the point of giving it? If someone was given x years and let out I can understand but if they were given life then from what I can understand that means that there isn't a chance of rehab
The thing is if that's the case, then the whole legal and a range of laws will also have to be changed. Under many laws, a life sentence has to be imposed.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Glaz)
Are you aware that there is such a thing as a “whole-life tariff which is what you want? It’s used only for the people who are so far beyond that the courts don’t think they can be rehabilitated, but the tariff can only be applied by the Secretary of State on behalf on HM the queen.
Would you prefer to simply rename life to be 25 years and then leave whole-life alone?
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
Will copy my remarks over verbatim from the government sub:

Life should generally be intended to mean life, I agree.

But there are two things to bear in mind here that mean that I don't think it's this simple:

First of all, there's the ECHR ruling that requires life sentences to be reviewed and the prisoner considered for release after a certain amount of time, I don't remember whether the court specified the length of time, but I suspect not, because some jurisdictions work around it by using very long but time-limited sentences, e.g. 200 years.

Second, if life is to mean life then it's an excessive sentence in my opinion for some crimes that currently carry a life sentence. A review needs to take place of this first.

I think the removal of early release on compassionate grounds, which seems to disappear almost by accident here, is also problematic.
Or perhaps changes should be made to the crimes that currently carry a mandatory life sentence, rather than having a short bill like this to override everything.

An example would be like what I did with the murder and rape legislations to increase their minimum sentences.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Baron of Sealand)
Or perhaps changes should be made to the crimes that currently carry a mandatory life sentence, rather than having a short bill like this to override everything.

An example would be like what I did with the murder and rape legislations to increase their minimum sentences.
I'm pretty sure that's what I effectively say in my penultimate paragraph.
Mainline421
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SoggyCabbages)
I support this bill 100%. Prison is for punishment and there should be no chance whatsoever for parole when it comes to serious crime and life sentences in general.
Prison is for rehabilitation and as I understand it there is already a "Whole life order" mecanism for preventing criminals from ever getting parole in extreme cases. Plus the UK's prisons are already overcowded, as such I can't support this bill atm but I do admit this isn't a subject I have any expertise in.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (197)
67.93%
No (93)
32.07%

Watched Threads