Jsimons56
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi, I’ve tried to form a mechanism for this question and I’ve managed to form the acetal functional group but I can’t work out how to turn the alcohol into an Ester with the reagents given.Name:  A419842F-B0AF-48EB-84A4-A41B2FFBAC6E.jpg.jpeg
Views: 25
Size:  15.5 KBName:  1BE3B138-C1F6-4E0A-A6CD-A35F40BB3840.jpg.jpeg
Views: 24
Size:  26.7 KB
Chemistreee
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hey just a quick question, what level chemistry is this? i.e. A level, first year Uni etc
Jsimons56
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chemistreee)
Hey just a quick question, what level chemistry is this? i.e. A level, first year Uni etc
First year uni
Chemistreee
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Jsimons56)
First year uni
Yeah I thought so as I am only in Year 12 and that seems fairly difficult but I know most of those reagents apart from the Me ones... At first glance I thought you could use the SOCl2 to form an acyl chloride and then do Acyl Chloride + Phenol --> Ester + HCl but I am not entirely sure if that is correct considering that is all self-taught :/.
flowerscat
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Jsimons56)
Hi, I’ve tried to form a mechanism for this question and I’ve managed to form the acetal functional group but I can’t work out how to turn the alcohol into an Ester with the reagents given.Name:  A419842F-B0AF-48EB-84A4-A41B2FFBAC6E.jpg.jpeg
Views: 25
Size:  15.5 KBName:  1BE3B138-C1F6-4E0A-A6CD-A35F40BB3840.jpg.jpeg
Views: 24
Size:  26.7 KB
Oxidise the alchohol into carboxylic acid using acid and CrO3, then react the carboxylic acid with MeOH to get the methyl ester.

("The Jones oxidation is an organic reaction used to oxidize alcohols using chromic trioxide and acid in water. A primary alcohol is oxidized to an aldehyde or all the way to a carboxylic acid")
Jsimons56
Rep:
?
Thank you I’ll try that
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (103)
27.61%
No (270)
72.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise