Ziton
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Evil Homer
This thread is for students taking the OCR History Alevel 2020. Which units is everyone doing? Mine is Stuart England, Germany 1919-1963 and German nationalism in 1800s.
Volkerbund1933
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Title sums it up

Exam Dates if I'm right are (correct me if I'm wrong)

19th of May 2020- Russia (and other equivalent thematic studies)

3rd of June 2020- Britain (and other equivalent British history topics)

10th of June 2020- French Revolution (and other equivalent topics)

I am doing

Russia 1855-1964
Britain 1930-1997
France 1775-1815

My coursework is on assessing the reasons for the USSR's collapse and should hopefully have it done for Feb time

Evil Homer as you requested to be tagged in.
Last edited by Volkerbund1933; 2 weeks ago
redmeercat
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'm doing the same Britain and France papers as you, but the 'Challenge of German Nationalism' instead of Russia for my case study. Got my sources mock in 2 days... how're people revising for those questions? I always feel like I'm not doing enough even when I'm fairly confience, just because there are so many people and events to know about, but you don't have to know everything about them. I hope that makes sense!
Volkerbund1933
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by redmeercat)
I'm doing the same Britain and France papers as you, but the 'Challenge of German Nationalism' instead of Russia for my case study. Got my sources mock in 2 days... how're people revising for those questions? I always feel like I'm not doing enough even when I'm fairly confience, just because there are so many people and events to know about, but you don't have to know everything about them. I hope that makes sense!
For me, I have an inherent benefit bc I'm quite familiar with a lot of modern history across many places so knowledge isn't as much as a problem.

Britain is the most easy for me without no prior knowledge. Russia is fine for the most part except social and economic policy but France can confuse me with all the damn constitutions they have and some parts of the directory too

For the complex french stuff, I made a timeline listing the general events and a brief summary what happens. If you want that then I can help by sending Pics.

I have a source mock apparently tomorrow aha- I've been told to simply study the debates and know your facts inside out about the topics listed (e.g Mine is on Alex II's reforms so basically know the dude as if he was in your immediate family)
Evil Homer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Volkerbund1933)
Title sums it up

I am doing

Russia 1855-1964
Britain 1930-1997
France 1775-1815

My coursework is on assessing the reasons for the USSR's collapse and should hopefully have it done for Feb time

Hey! Thankyou so much for sorting this! I've added it to our big list!
Evil Homer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Ziton)
Evil Homer
This thread is for students taking the OCR History Alevel 2020. Which units is everyone doing? Mine is Stuart England, Germany 1919-1963 and German nationalism in 1800s.
Title sums it up

I am doing

Russia 1855-1964
Britain 1930-1997
France 1775-1815

Just to let you both know you both created a thread on this so I've merged them together

Hope that's okay!
redmeercat
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
For me, I have an inherent benefit bc I'm quite familiar with a lot of modern history across many places so knowledge isn't as much as a problem.

Britain is the most easy for me without no prior knowledge. Russia is fine for the most part except social and economic policy but France can confuse me with all the damn constitutions they have and some parts of the directory too

For the complex french stuff, I made a timeline listing the general events and a brief summary what happens. If you want that then I can help by sending Pics.

I have a source mock apparently tomorrow aha- I've been told to simply study the debates and know your facts inside out about the topics listed (e.g Mine is on Alex II's reforms so basically know the dude as if he was in your immediate family)
Yeah, the consitutions aren't ideal, I've found that it's easier to learn it year by year, in sections. E.g. pre rev, 1789, National Assembly, Constitutional monarchy... Britain isn't hard to understand, but for me it's the least interesting so I find it harder to revise! Germany, I tend to make timelines by theme such as military, etc. This means that I basically have essay plans, whcih is nice. I think your Russia question might be your interpretation question, though - the source question is Churchill. But how was it, anyway?
Volkerbund1933
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yeah, the consitutions aren't ideal, I've found that it's easier to learn it year by year, in sections. E.g. pre rev, 1789, National Assembly, Constitutional monarchy... Britain isn't hard to understand, but for me it's the least interesting so I find it harder to revise! Germany, I tend to make timelines by theme such as military, etc. This means that I basically have essay plans, whcih is nice. I think your Russia question might be your interpretation question, though - the source question is Churchill. But how was it, anyway?
My bad, I use the source and interpretation terms interchangeably

It wasn't actually an exam however. We got given an exemplar and had to write our own response. We had to do a 25 marker under very liberal time conditions so that was our 'pre-mock'
redmeercat
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Ohh, I see! Don't worry! How was it?
Volkerbund1933
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Ohh, I see! Don't worry! How was it?
Not too shabby- went well enough.

The issue for me is that my teacher tends to spend a whole lesson planning. I'd prefer if we did it under timed conditions though I am practising that on my own.

If you're interested, then we could share resources lest it benefit us both
redmeercat
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Not too shabby- went well enough.

The issue for me is that my teacher tends to spend a whole lesson planning. I'd prefer if we did it under timed conditions though I am practising that on my own.

If you're interested, then we could share resources lest it benefit us both
That would be great, thanks! On getrevising I made a timeline of the whole French rev, if that would be useful. I've since spotted a couple of errors but I can show you where those are.
Volkerbund1933
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
That would be great, thanks! On getrevising I made a timeline of the whole French rev, if that would be useful. I've since spotted a couple of errors but I can show you where those are.
I'm also working on a Prime Minister and theire economic policies/challenges 1955-1997. I'll send that once its finished
redmeercat
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm also working on a Prime Minister and theire economic policies/challenges 1955-1997. I'll send that once its finished
Great, thank you! https://getrevising.co.uk/grids/the-...top-200-events
abbie_laurenx
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Ziton)
Evil Homer
I'm doing Russia, War of the Roses and the changing nature of warfare
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Course Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 2 Feb '20
  • University of Bath
    Postgraduate Virtual Open Day 5 February 2020, 11:00-15:00 (UK time) Postgraduate
    Wed, 5 Feb '20

Why do you want to do a masters?

Great for my career (67)
36.02%
I really love the subject (48)
25.81%
I don't know what else to do (23)
12.37%
I can't get a job (15)
8.06%
My parents want me to (5)
2.69%