Gghs257
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I’m choosing my GCSE options now and I am torn between History and Geography. I get superb marks in both and really enjoy them. I have no idea what I want to be when I am older. I am quit good at writing essays though if that would help but I struggle a bit with memorising facts.I was just wondering if any of you had any preferences if you did, or even what the coursework was like? Would you recommend doing both or is it too much?
Advertisement
Littlegeekgirl_
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you prefer science and maths go for geography, if you prefer essays go history. Geography is helpful for a levels in biology, chemistry and economics. History is very important for a levels in english literature, politics, sociology, classics, law. Both are good in their own respect, neither have coursework but geography has a paper on feedback. History is harder but it is more respected. Geography is easier in content but harder to get a high grade- more people get 7-9 in history compared to geography but I guess the content is harder so it balances. Imo an 7 in history is better than an 8 in geography. Both have to memorise facts but when it comes to essays history ranges from 4 marks to 20 marks whilst geography has 1 mark multiple choice and 6 markers with the odd 15 mark essay. Both are demanding but honestly either would be great- personally I preferred history I found it really interesting learning about influential people and essential the story of what was going on at the time and how it impacted society. Geography was quite boring and continuously focused on learning concepts and scientific facts. Nonetheless focus on your strengths. (i got an 8 in both btw)
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Gghs257)
I’m choosing my GCSE options now and I am torn between History and Geography. I get superb marks in both and really enjoy them. I have no idea what I want to be when I am older. I am quit good at writing essays though if that would help but I struggle a bit with memorising facts.I was just wondering if any of you had any preferences if you did, or even what the coursework was like? Would you recommend doing both or is it too much?
I took both at GCSE back in 2015. It's perfectly do-able, wouldn't say it's too much.

Worth pointing out that whatever you choose, it won't have an impact on your future career. They're GCSE options.
Advertisement
lirjonker
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Gghs257)
I used to do both for GCSE. I studied around half the Geography course before I dropped it for Music but I've continued with History the whole way through. First, both require you to remember facts. History more so but Geography is definitely facts, too. Think about if you will be able remember dates, and extra information for History so that you can get top marks. Geography is more about remembering processes.
If you're good at writing essays, History is really good. Although exam technique is different to English. I can smash the History exams with 9s but my English grades are not as good, around a 7. But being able to write helps a ton. I dropped geography because I did badly in a big exam, but I enjoyed it. But essay writing is how you answer every question in History, so if you like that, take it. Unless you feel really inspired by something else, and you feel like you might regret your choice later, take both. it's great fun and some terms like "Brain Drain" transfer between both subjects.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How are your mock exams going?

Love them - Feeling positive (16)
8.25%
They've been reasonable (78)
40.21%
Not feeling great... (50)
25.77%
They are TERRIBLE! (50)