kievla
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I hope to study maths at Oxbridge and wanted to know if my IGCSE grades are good enough. I wrote 8 IGSCE’s and 1 early (so 9 in total) my results were:

Additional maths - A* Maths (early) - A*
Physics - A* Chemistry - A*
Biology - A* Spanish - A*
English - A Geography - A
English Literature - B.

Does this B in English Literature put me in a bad position for admission for undergrad maths at Oxbridge? (bear in mind I self learned additional maths as my school didn’t offer it as a subject)
Last edited by kievla; 1 week ago
chapmase
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by kievla)
I hope to study maths at Oxbridge and wanted to know if my IGCSE grades are good enough. I wrote 8 IGSCE’s and 1 early (so 9 in total) my results were:

Additional maths - A* Maths (early) - A*
Physics - A* Chemistry - A*
Biology - A* Spanish - A*
English - A Geography - A
English Literature - B.

Does this B in English Literature put me in a bad position for admission for undergrad maths? (bear in mind I self learned additional maths as my school didn’t offer it as a subject)
No your GCSEs are good enough and you won't be in a bad position based on them. For Maths and Sciences they are far more worried about how you do in the entrance tests, A-levels, STEP and interviews etc. The English grade won't matter as they are mostly looking at your mathematical ability.
_gcx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
these will be no issue at all.

offer rates for the vast majority of maths courses, main exceptions being Oxbridge and Imperial, are almost 100% and this is often wholly off the back of your predicted a-level grades, with reference and PS coming into play if your predictions fall under the typical offer.
kievla
Rep:
?
(Original post by _gcx)
these will be no issue at all.

offer rates for the vast majority of maths courses, main exceptions being Oxbridge and Imperial, are almost 100% and this is often wholly off the back of your predicted a-level grades, with reference and PS coming into play if your predictions fall under the typical offer.
What about in the sense of applying to an Oxbridge college, will this (B) come into play? If so, how much will it damage my application?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Cambridge doesn't care about GCSEs, and Oxford will care more about MAT performance than GCSEs. Even for Oxford a single grade less than A/A* in an unrelated subject is unlikely to make any difference at all.
kievla
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Cambridge doesn't care about GCSEs, and Oxford will care more about MAT performance than GCSEs. Even for Oxford a single grade less than A/A* in an unrelated subject is unlikely to make any difference at all.
That’s great to hear, it’s been eating at me for some time now. Thank you for the clarification
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by kievla)
That’s great to hear, it’s been eating at me for some time now. Thank you for the clarification
I should probably clarify for posterity my comments regarding Oxford were specifically for maths. But for maths I don't think there's much to worry about there - just focus on your A-level studies (or preparing for them if you haven't started, by consolidating your GCSE Maths knowledge), and then later on preparing for the MAT (or even later, STEP, if you apply to Cambridge).

Also see what you can to do to further your interest in maths otherwise, such as any qualifying competitions for the mathematical olympiad(s) (in the UK this would be the Senior Maths Challenge), or similar, if available. It's not required for admission by any means but assuming you enjoy maths, may be an interesting way to apply some of the mathematical knowledge you've covered so far in a less familiar format.

It might also be worth looking at some of what degree level maths entails, since it's very different from A-level/GCSE Maths (and FM). Once you have a good grounding in calculus, you may want to look at an introductory analysis (sometimes called "advanced calculus" or similar - look for anything proof based) text like Spivak's Calculus, which will reintroduce the familiar calculus you know in a much more rigorous way (which is in the same way that degree level maths is taught and covered, and you will specifically usually cover such content in the first year of a maths degree anyway - certainly at Oxbridge you would). Other "bridging the gap" style or problem solving mathematics texts might be of interest as well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

- Have you considered distance learning for any of your qualifications?

Yes! I'm on a distance learning course right now (2)
11.76%
Yes, I've thought about it but haven't signed up yet (2)
11.76%
No, but maybe I will look into it (4)
23.53%
No and I wouldn't consider it (9)
52.94%

Watched Threads