What do you find most interesting about your degree? Watch

MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
What do you enjoy most? Is there a specific concept you're interested in, or a specific module you love studying?

Why do you find it interesting?
Ciel.
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
i studied law. hated it tbh. i should've done art.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
For sure the Nāgārjunian concept of śūnyatā or 'emptiness' of essence in conjunction with pratītyasamutpāda ('dependent origination'). This was what I was primarily interested in when I started my degree, and it is primarily what I am interested in now.

It is a peculiar brand of anti-essentialism that potentially has far-reaching consequences for ethics and for how we ought to approach life, even in terms of epistemology and Truths (with a big T)

had to wait until the back end of 3rd year to do the Indian Philosophy module that this was covered in, but I've been dining out on it ever since. I guess my own interest in philosophy is really only as deep as how it might serve to improve life, or improve how we think about things with the knock-on effect of improving our experience. I don't care about loads of abstract philosophy for this reason
iodo345
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
glad it wil all be over in 6 months
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ciel.)
i studied law. hated it tbh. i should've done art.
Oh really? I never had you down as a law kinda guy.
I'm feeling that at the moment though. Some aspects of it are really interesting, but the rest is deathly boring.

What sort of art do you create/are you interested in? I've always quite liked surrealism, I don't know much about it but I seem to have a love for quirky, out of the ordinary things, so it appeals to me visually.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I enjoy making my Dept pay towards my trips to ABBA The Museum in Stockholm :devil: :innocent: :ahee: :teehee: :ninja:

On a (slightly) more serious note, the common thread in all three of my degrees is that I love doing fieldwork :holmes:
ساره
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I like that I get to go to various exhibitions. it’s more of a creative degree
Ciel.
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by MidgetFever)
Oh really? I never had you down as a law kinda guy.
I'm feeling that at the moment though. Some aspects of it are really interesting, but the rest is deathly boring.

What sort of art do you create/are you interested in? I've always quite liked surrealism, I don't know much about it but I seem to have a love for quirky, out of the ordinary things, so it appeals to me visually.
eh, it wasn't meant to be. when i was still training to become a solicitor, my mental health got in the way. are you studying law then? or doing your lpc/training contract?
definitely abstract and modern! and i just love anything watercolour tbh. it gives everything a dreamy sort of quality, lol.
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
(Original post by gjd800)
For sure the Nāgārjunian concept of śūnyatā or 'emptiness' of essence in conjunction with pratītyasamutpāda ('dependent origination'). This was what I was primarily interested in when I started my degree, and it is primarily what I am interested in now.

It is a peculiar brand of anti-essentialism that potentially has far-reaching consequences for ethics and for how we ought to approach life, even in terms of epistemology and Truths (with a big T)

had to wait until the back end of 3rd year to do the Indian Philosophy module that this was covered in, but I've been dining out on it ever since. I guess my own interest in philosophy is really only as deep as how it might serve to improve life, or improve how we think about things with the knock-on effect of improving our experience. I don't care about loads of abstract philosophy for this reason
It's not something I'm aware of myself, but I've always admired how clearly passionate you are about your subject. Even if you believe your interest only spans so far, it's clear that you've put a lot of effort into understanding and using that and that's pretty cool!

I wish I had that dedication to my subject. I read around my own interests but I never seem to pursue turning it into something, or a piece of work.
Neurocandid
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Meeting people from all walks of life
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by MidgetFever)
It's not something I'm aware of myself, but I've always admired how clearly passionate you are about your subject. Even if you believe your interest only spans so far, it's clear that you've put a lot of effort into understanding and using that and that's pretty cool!

I wish I had that dedication to my subject. I read around my own interests but I never seem to pursue turning it into something, or a piece of work.
Unlikely to know it unless you are a Buddhist/into Buddhism, really

I don't think I'd bother with it at as much if I didn't think what I was doing was making my life better. The goal is for it to make other people's lives better but them's lofty heights :laugh:
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I guess volunteering for the past two years and seeing how theoretical knowledge can be applied in a practical setting. I feel like I've learnt so much in only a couple of months and the way I face my voluntary role and interact with the individual's I work with is already being shaped by what I've been taught. And really just the realisation that not only am I doing the thing I'm truly passionate about, literally a hobby going into a career, but that I seem to be naturally good at it as well.
Toscana
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
i actually get to learn a new language (japanese). since languages interest the hell out of me, i feel the urge to learn as many languages as possible . the fact that i will eventually be able to understand japanese media such as anime and japanese songs excite me to death. also will be studying linguistics too which sounds cool. get to learn how languages are created, taught and what they are comprised of etc. never studied something i whole-heartedly adore before so this should bring a lot of good memories
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Well my final year product is based around rodent healthcare so i think that answers that question :colondollar:
CTLeafez
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Genetics - all the instructions which take a single cell to a fully formed human is written in a combination of four nucleotides (ACGT). I’m pretty sure everyone can appreciate how cool that is

I read a quote in a book which said:
“imagine having a library full of books on all human diseases and characteristics, but it’s in a mystery four-letter language. If you can decode this language then you can cure all genetic diseases”
Last edited by CTLeafez; 5 days ago
ibyghee
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
aerospace engineering, I love making 3D plane models on CAD. So I wanted to increase my knowledge of how to make more efficient planes. Always wanted to just...create military jets that are out of this world. Just hoping any company/country would hire me when I graduate I'll join any country/group/private military/militia. Yes, I'm that desperate.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are your mock exams going?

Love them - Feeling positive (16)
8.08%
They've been reasonable (80)
40.4%
Not feeling great... (50)
25.25%
They are TERRIBLE! (52)
26.26%

Watched Threads