Degrees without assessed presentations Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
Hi,

I am looking for an undergraduate degree course in relation to either business, marketing or sport (or a combination of them) that is all or majority written work. I am struggling to find courses of those subject areas that are purely assessed by written work and do not require students to give presentations.

I really struggle with presentations and I don’t see the point in doing a course that will assess me on my presenting skills as part of it as I know it will drag my grade right down. I don’t mind doing other assessed work such as essays or group projects, but it’s the presentations that I am looking to avoid.

If anyone can recommend any courses or Universities that do not require presentations as part of their assessments then that would be super - thanks.
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi,

I am looking for an undergraduate degree course in relation to either business, marketing or sport (or a combination of them) that is all or majority written work. I am struggling to find courses of those subject areas that are purely assessed by written work and do not require students to give presentations.

I really struggle with presentations and I don’t see the point in doing a course that will assess me on my presenting skills as part of it as I know it will drag my grade right down. I don’t mind doing other assessed work such as essays or group projects, but it’s the presentations that I am looking to avoid.

If anyone can recommend any courses or Universities that do not require presentations as part of their assessments then that would be super - thanks.
Nearly every undergraduate subject you will have some form of presentation, most typical your final year for your dissertation or project and to a small crowd of people (including your supervisor).

The ability to create and deliver an effective presentation is important for certain fields of academic study, and more so in the workplace. Knowing how to improve communication skills, whether you are in the classroom or the workplace, is something you will be thankful for when you have to share your ideas in meetings, group interviews (which is the norm nowadays), or any other sort of audience. You have plenty of time to learn and practice how to do a presentation. I'm very bad at presentations and had fear of public speaking. I gradually got rid of this fear by putting myself in position where I talk to strangers during my part time jobs (fundraising, finance assistant and other internship where I did plenty of presentation to senior staffs).

The only courses I can think of that don't have any sort of presentation are online distance learning course.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Agree with the above, I think all taught courses at uni have presentations although they are mainly assessed by exams and essays or assignments/projects. This is true for Psychology, History & Law as well as Business - it's just something you can't completely avoid these days
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
If you have evidence that presenting is harmful to you (ie not just something you dislike, find difficult or don’t think that you’re good at but something that genuinely harms your mental wellbeing) then many universities will make reasonable adjustments (letting your record a presentation in private, presenting just to staff or an alternative assessment).

There’s not really any degrees where the weighting on presentations would impact your overall degree classification. They’re usually part of a module mark. And university markers have a very low standard required to pass a presentation - they’re not expecting polished presenters.

Even though my job doesn’t include presenting half the interviews I’ve had included a requirement to produce and present a talk on a topic. I wouldn’t recommend trying to avoid building your skills!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (89)
13.09%
1 (89)
13.09%
2 (86)
12.65%
18.97%
22.35%
19.85%

Watched Threads