Mikewazowski313
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
Need some help on what i can do going forward, I finished my a levels last summer and got bad results (EED). I don't feel like getting into a decent university to do computer science is an option (which was my original plan, the university was northumbria), I feel like the only way I could get into a university with the grades I have is by doing a crap course in a crap university. I've always been a flunker, I was originally projected to get DDC grades so university doesn't feel like the right option in a way because I can't see myself getting to the end of it. I can't really retake the exams either because if I remember right you can only redo the exams once and I've only started to reconsider university now, and haven't revised at all. I'm not interested in an apprenticeship either, I'd rather do university because of the experience of it. Since leaving 6th form I've got a part time job and started saving a little bit of money. Seeing all my friends go off and leave me in the dust a bit is depressing and I feel like I'm missing out. Overall I just don't know what to do and I feel too thick to get into university, so I feel a bit trapped. During a levels I struggled with motivation, and I think it might be an issue at university, in the first year at 6th form I was a d/c student and in the second year I had ups and downs, and going into the last couple of months it fell apart and I gave up. Don't know what's right for me.
Grizwuld
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Before going on with any educational options would it not be a good idea to sort out the current issue(s) you have?

Can you clarify the "motivation" issue a little?
Mikewazowski313
Rep:
?
(Original post by Grizwuld)
Before going on with any educational options would it not be a good idea to sort out the current issue(s) you have?

Can you clarify the "motivation" issue a little?
Sure, basically during year 13 I didn't know what I wanted to do after 6th form. My teachers talked me through university and I decided on that, but I wasn't 100% sure it was the right decision. During the second year I had periods where I did lots of work and felt optimistic about it, then I had periods where I couldn't be bothered and it didn't feel worth it. During the times when I couldn't be bothered i was depressed, I think seeing everyone else do better then me made me miserable. Hope that helps
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Mikewazowski313)
Sure, basically during year 13 I didn't know what I wanted to do after 6th form. My teachers talked me through university and I decided on that, but I wasn't 100% sure it was the right decision. During the second year I had periods where I did lots of work and felt optimistic about it, then I had periods where I couldn't be bothered and it didn't feel worth it. During the times when I couldn't be bothered i was depressed, I think seeing everyone else do better then me made me miserable. Hope that helps
Have you sought help RE: your depression?

Going to university with unresolved MH problems is a recipe for disaster. Also, you can't flunk your way through a university degree (especially not CompSci) and expect to thrive. You really need to be motivated, otherwise you will be spending £9250 a year + accommodation + food for nothing otherwise. No one is there to push or prod you unlike school.

What is it about the university experience that you desire? It's overrated and fleeting. You'll be stressed about exams, coursework, graduate job finding etc most of the time.
Mikewazowski313
Rep:
?
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
Have you sought help RE: your depression?

Going to university with unresolved MH problems is a recipe for disaster. Also, you can't flunk your way through a university degree (especially not CompSci) and expect to thrive. You really need to be motivated, otherwise you will be spending £9250 a year + accommodation + food for nothing otherwise. No one is there to push or prod you unlike school.

What is it about the university experience that you desire? It's overrated and fleeting. You'll be stressed about exams, coursework, graduate job finding etc most of the time.
I feel like I'm missing out on something. At the moment my job prospects aren't great, working in dead end jobs, and my friends have mostly moved away, so the reason why I've reconsidered uni is because I want to be surrounded by people my age and I want a better future.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (84)
13.5%
1 (84)
13.5%
2 (82)
13.18%
19.77%
21.38%
18.65%

Watched Threads