Is loneliness a disease?

Watch
Kiss-My-axe
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I read this really interesting article that terms loneliness as an 'epidemic'. The phrasing prompted me to wonder whether loneliness is in fact a disease or an illness. The article went on to explore places we face loneliness, the impact on us as social beings and significance of this issue. This prompted me to start this discussion. Is loneliness a disease with the way it seems to be almost spreading across the globe? The symptoms of loneliness may suggest that it is in fact a disease but the issue stems from psychological factors.

So is loneliness in fact a disease?
Johnny Tightlips
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Kiss-My-axe)
I read this really interesting article that terms loneliness as an 'epidemic'. The phrasing prompted me to wonder whether loneliness is in fact a disease or an illness. The article went on to explore places we face loneliness, the impact on us as social beings and significance of this issue. This prompted me to start this discussion. Is loneliness a disease with the way it seems to be almost spreading across the globe? The symptoms of loneliness may suggest that it is in fact a disease but the issue stems from psychological factors.

So is loneliness in fact a disease?
I don't know. Imo, it does turn into a positive feedback loop. It's human nature to see yourself negatively. On your own often these thoughts are worse. And because they get worse, it's much harder to feel confident to go out and meet people. So, you get stuck in a loneliness rut. I have no idea if that makes it an illness or a disease
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It could be a condition, I guess. Some people do seem hardwired toward it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (54)
17.25%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (89)
28.43%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (117)
37.38%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (42)
13.42%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.51%

Watched Threads