The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham university colleges

So I want to study law at Durham University!
I am interested in a self-catered college and currently loving the idea of John Snow college. However, I was reading and found at its new site on Mount Oswald means it would be a 20-minute walk to the law school. Should I still choose John Snow? Does anyone know the pros and cons of the college?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous
So I want to study law at Durham University!
I am interested in a self-catered college and currently loving the idea of John Snow college. However, I was reading and found at its new site on Mount Oswald means it would be a 20-minute walk to the law school. Should I still choose John Snow? Does anyone know the pros and cons of the college?

Unfortunately next year all the self catered colleges are within 5 minutes walk of each other so if you want guarenteed self catered accommodation (some other colleges offer it to some students, but you could be offered catered and are unlikely to be able to swap if that was what you were allocated) then it's a fairly similar walk to the law school for any of them. I would say 20 minutes is a pretty generous estimate to the law building from there, I'm slightly further out than John Snow will be next year and have tutorials in the law building and wouldn't say it takes that long to get there (closer to 15 minutes). You will also find some of your lectures aren't in the law building, but other buildings I think mostly around the science site (which the law school is on), which may be closer or in some cases slightly further away.
Personally I would say if the 20 minute walk is the only thing putting you off you should definitely go for it. There's not that many colleges closer and they're all fully catered which you've indicated you don't want, and ultimately once you're here a max 20 minute walk feels like nothing, it's further than that for most non academic things (anything in the SU/town/bailey colleges etc.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending