WLR
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I just got a rejection from Oxford, I'm a law applicant from Poland and would like to hear back from you guys whether the unis I have left are worth the great cost of studying in the UK. I got an offer from Nottingham (which I intend on making my firm choice) and Lancaster. I'm still waiting for an answer from Aberdeen (which I would gladly make my safety) and Dundee. My possible choices are:
Notts - firm
Lancaster - safety
or
Notts - firm
Aberdeen - safety
I've heard and read practically only positive opinions about both life and studying in Aberdeen (also heard it's a very good law school from multiple sources and that the law faculty is great) and overall positive feedback on Lancaster. When it comes to Notts I've heard that it's easily one of the top law schools in the UK but also that social life is kinda dead which ultimately is quite important when it comes to the overall experience of studying. I'm sorry for being chaotic but I'm having a little crisis atm lol. Any feedback is greatly appreciated <3
Last edited by WLR; 1 month ago
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by WLR)
I just got a rejection from Oxford, I'm a law applicant from Poland and would like to hear back from you guys whether the unis I have left are worth the great cost of studying in the UK. I got an offer from Nottingham (which I intend on making my firm choice) and Lancaster. I'm still waiting for an answer from Aberdeen (which I would gladly make my safety) and Dundee. My possible choices are:
Notts - firm
Lancaster - safety
or
Notts - firm
Aberdeen - safety
I've heard and read practically only positive opinions about both life and studying in Aberdeen (also heard it's a very good law school from multiple sources and that the law faculty is great) and overall positive feedback on Lancaster. When it comes to Notts I've heard that it's easily one of the top law schools in the UK but also that social life is kinda dead which ultimately is quite important when it comes to the overall experience of studying. I'm sorry for being chaotic but I'm having a little crisis atm lol. Any feedback is greatly appreciated <3
Aw, sorry you got bad news today from Oxford.

I'm surprised you have heard the social life is bad at Nottingham. It is a vibrant city and I have never heard that said about Notts, although I do know that Lancaster is on the quiet side. Have you tried posting in the Notingham uni sub forum and asking people on there? I think it would be an excellent Firm choice

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=25
WLR
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
Aw, sorry you got bad news today from Oxford.

I'm surprised you have heard the social life is bad at Nottingham. It is a vibrant city and I have never heard that said about Notts, although I do know that Lancaster is on the quiet side. Have you tried posting in the Notingham uni sub forum and asking people on there? I think it would be an excellent Firm choice

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=25
Thank you very much, I will surely ask on the forum. Sorry for the delayed answer, was quite busy yesterday
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by WLR)
Notts - firm
Lancaster - safety
or
Notts - firm
Aberdeen - safety
I don't think that your insurance choice matters too much.

If money is enough of an issue that you're considering universities outside the UK that are free I wouldn't think that spending £9k on Lancaster is worth it (Aberdeen's tuition free for you right?)

Aberdeen is a completely unexceptional school when it comes to most things. It's not a 'top' school in Scotland and it's invisible to the rest of the UK - you could tell all but a handful of academics and employers that it will shut down tomorrow and they'll shrug and say 'who cares'. I'd much rather go to a locally-regarded 'elite' school like TCD (whose law faculty is much better, btw).
Last edited by J Papi; 1 month ago
suziecalas
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by J Papi)
I don't think that your insurance choice matters too much.

If money is enough of an issue that you're considering universities outside the UK that are free I wouldn't think that spending £9k on Lancaster is worth it (Aberdeen's tuition free for you right?)

Aberdeen is a completely unexceptional school when it comes to most things. It's not a 'top' school in Scotland and it's invisible to the rest of the UK - you could tell all but a handful of academics and employers that it will shut down tomorrow and they'll shrug and say 'who cares'. I'd much rather go to a locally-regarded 'elite' school like TCD (whose law faculty is much better, btw).
Aberdeen is Scottish Uni 2019 and in top ten law schools in UK also one of the only law schools that offer dual qualifying degree in Law not sure you know what your talking about to be influencing people.
J Papi
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by suziecalas)
Aberdeen is Scottish Uni 2019 and in top ten law schools in UK also one of the only law schools that offer dual qualifying degree in Law not sure you know what your talking about to be influencing people.
Citation needed for the 'top ten' claim (:lol:)

Dual-qualifying degrees are going to lose a lot of their charm once the SQE is rolled out (unless they take the BTEC approach of just turning the English law component into an SQE1 crash course)

I'm pretty sure that I understand the strengths and weaknesses of law faculties in the UK far better than someone who is citing league tables and dubious awards (what on earth is the 'Scottish University 2019', and, more importantly, why should anyone care about it?)
WLR
Rep:
?
Oh damn, here goes raging Papi
J Papi
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by WLR)
I'm not raging. I'm just blunt. No time for paragraphs 'n ****

Aberdeen might be a good insurance choice if you get rejected from TCD/UCD and want free tuition
WLR
Rep:
?
Citation needed for the 'top ten' claim (:lol:)

Dual-qualifying degrees are going to lose a lot of their charm once the SQE is rolled out (unless they take the BTEC approach of just turning the English law component into an SQE1 crash course)

I'm pretty sure that I understand the strengths and weaknesses of law faculties in the UK far better than someone who is citing league tables and dubious awards (what on earth is the 'Scottish University 2019')
To be fair those, a lot of these rankings put Aberdeen up there which was a significant factor when it came to choosing it in my case:
https://www.studying-in-uk.org/best-...rsities-in-uk/
https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...s/rankings/law
(12th in the UK here) https://www.timeshighereducation.com...en/courses/law
WLR
Rep:
?

Aberdeen might be a good insurance choice if you get rejected from TCD/UCD and want free tuition
I'm applying there, although it's quite hard to get there especially to TCD as far as I know. Also what's funny is the fact that any documents have to be posted, there is no way to upload them online lol
Last edited by WLR; 1 month ago
J Papi
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by WLR)
To be fair those, a lot of these rankings put Aberdeen up there which was a significant factor when it came to choosing it in my case:
https://www.studying-in-uk.org/best-...rsities-in-uk/
https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...s/rankings/law
(12th in the UK here) https://www.timeshighereducation.com...en/courses/law
I'm not denying that it ranks decently. I'm saying that league tables are useless and irrelevant, particularly when it comes to Scottish institutions (who get that nice lil entry tariff boost). You've probably read through my Common Misconceptions thread so you know this.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by WLR)
Get popcorn
suziecalas
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Source - Sunday Times Good University Guide for best university in Scotland.

Source for Top Ten in Law:

The Complete University Guide Law League Table 2020
The Guardian
Are just two examples
WLR
Rep:
?
I'm not denying that it ranks decently. I'm saying that league tables are useless and irrelevant, particularly when it comes to Scottish institutions (who get that nice lil entry tariff boost). You've probably read through my Common Misconceptions thread so you know this.
as a matter of fact I didn't. Could u link the thread pls?
J Papi
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Source - Sunday Times Good University Guide for best university in Scotland.

Source for Top Ten in Law:

The Complete University Guide Law League Table 2020
The Guardian
Are just two examples
Darling, the same guide implicitly contradicts itself by saying that St.A's is the best university overall (in the UK), and therefore presumably in Scotland too.

On a more serious point, anyone can cherrypick any aspect of an institution that is doing well and use that as a basis for the 'best [whatever] award' without having gone through and compared this to all other institutions in the country. It's why these awards only have advertising value. They're also not specific to law, but I could tell from your first post that you're too dumb to care about details like that.

(Original post by WLR)
as a matter of fact I didn't. Could u link the thread pls?
Both of you individuals need to read Point 5 here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6247090.

If you're going to waste my time, please do it with a more sophisticated comparison between specific law faculties. I have some (non-exhaustive) suggestions as to what you can use to make this more sophisticated comparison in Point 4 in the aforementioned thread.

You can also go through the faculty list and see a) how many members Aberdeen's law faculty has, b) where they've previously been educated/taught/researched/affiliated with, and c) where they've published. It's not a particularly impressive list.
suziecalas
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’ve just read your common misconceptions which has some regarding Scottish universities and the application process and weighing towards Scottish applicants which is incorrect. It’s actually harder for a Scottish student to be accepted to certain courses such as Law, Medicine etc in Scotland because there is a quota allocation of funded places by the Scottish government available. Scotland has some schemes in place to provide people access to higher education that come from deprived backgrounds which lowers required results but that is not ALL the typical offer for Edinburgh or Glasgow is 5 As for example.
J Papi
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’ve just read your common misconceptions which has some regarding Scottish universities and the application process and weighing towards Scottish applicants which is incorrect. It’s actually harder for a Scottish student to be accepted to certain courses such as Law, Medicine etc in Scotland because there is a quota allocation of funded places by the Scottish government available. Scotland has some schemes in place to provide people access to higher education that come from deprived backgrounds which lowers required results but that is not ALL the typical offer for Edinburgh or Glasgow is 5 As for example.
The offer rates for Scottish vs rUK students are in line with each other. See document 12 here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6160930. It's worth noting that Aberdeen's offer rate is very, very high (80%+ for Scottish, EU and rUK students, and 70%+ for international students). It doesn't seem to be particularly hard to get into for any students, no matter where they're from

We have no clue as to whether Scottish universities stick by their high Scottish Highers requirements. But what we do know is that English universities are - following Gove's idiotic reforms and the new UCAS tariff - disadvantaged vis-a-vis their Scottish counterparts. That's the point that was being made.

I've got no idea as to why you brought up Glasgow, Edinburgh and the like - they have nothing to do with this discussion. If you'd like to challenge Points 4 or 5 more generally, do your research first and then post in that thread.

To bring this observation back to the crux of the matter: you're putting yourself in a position where you you have to claim that (a) the 'quality' of a law faculty comes down to the prior achievement of its students, and that (b) Aberdeen is a highly academically selective institution (selective enough to be in the top 10 institutions UK-wide). Not sure that this is a hill I'd be willing to die on.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills โ€“ LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (534)
66.42%
No (270)
33.58%

Watched Threads