The Student Room Group

Can't brush teeth without gagging / throwing up

For the past 4 months whenever I brush my teeth I end up gagging so hard that all my muscles contract and I'm stuck in a really painful position or I end up vomiting a little bit. Sometimes when I gag it's like there's an airbubble in my chest that pops icant really describe it. It's so bad I can't even brush my front teeth let alone my back teeth and my tongue and on a few occasions I've had to just not brush bc I physically couldn't. I've tried to Google it but all I've seen is that it's caused by two things: feeling anxious whilst brushing ( which I don't ) and pregnancy ( which it can't be ).
And it's not like this only happens in the morning, I get the same gag reflex when I brush in the evening.
Has anyone else had a situation like this? What do you think it could be? I don't even know if I should visit my doctor or dentist for this kinda problem lol
Original post by Anonymous
For the past 4 months whenever I brush my teeth I end up gagging so hard that all my muscles contract and I'm stuck in a really painful position or I end up vomiting a little bit. Sometimes when I gag it's like there's an airbubble in my chest that pops icant really describe it. It's so bad I can't even brush my front teeth let alone my back teeth and my tongue and on a few occasions I've had to just not brush bc I physically couldn't. I've tried to Google it but all I've seen is that it's caused by two things: feeling anxious whilst brushing ( which I don't ) and pregnancy ( which it can't be ).
And it's not like this only happens in the morning, I get the same gag reflex when I brush in the evening.
Has anyone else had a situation like this? What do you think it could be? I don't even know if I should visit my doctor or dentist for this kinda problem lol

You need to see the dentist for this
I'd probably suggest speaking to both your GP and dentist, as depending on the cause it might be more appropriate for one or the other (but both may be able to suggest methods to manage the issue in the meantime). I'd suggest making appointments for both, although I imagine you'll probably be able to see the dentist sooner (GP surgeries always seem to have fewer appointments available at shorter notice). While you wait you may also want to try and see if getting a differently shaped brush, or changing your toothpaste brand/type/flavour helps.

Quick Reply

Latest