Would I be more likely to be accepted into Cambridge with A*A*A or A*A*A B?

Watch
sweeneyrod
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Christos2209)
What about computer science at imperial college? I'd think my odds are also quite bad, but when I input my information into the ucas offer rate calculator I get about 74%.
Regardless of the likelihood of getting an offer, if you do FM it will specify an A in that and whether or not you do it's likely you'll get an offer including STEP which will be quite a lot harder than getting an A in FM.
Christos2209
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I see, looks like I'm going to have to try to get an A prediction. I'll post what I end up with. I got a B (A is the highest) in my quarantine exams. Usually my school predicts one grade up but now it looks like they'll be factoring yearly assessments too and homeworks. I'll let you know what I end up with. Thanks
Christos2209
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by sweeneyrod)
Regardless of the likelihood of getting an offer, if you do FM it will specify an A in that and whether or not you do it's likely you'll get an offer including STEP which will be quite a lot harder than getting an A in FM.
Let's say I drop A2 of FM to take FM AS level and get predicted A* A* A* a (math physics product design and FM). How would I stand then? How much better off than before?
sweeneyrod
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Let's say I drop A2 of FM to take FM AS level and get predicted A* A* A* a (math physics product design and FM). How would I stand then? How much better off than before?
It's difficult to say, because dropping FM after AS would be very unusual for an applicant to Cambridge for a subject where maths is important. If they think you've done that because you find FM too hard I expect it would disadvantage you significantly. You can see the predicted grades of 2019 offer holders here. Most of them have A-level FM and I couldn't see any with a prediction of below an A in it.
  • Add to Phrasebook

• No word lists for English -> English...
    • Create a new word list...
  • Copy
  • Add to Phrasebook

• No word lists for English -> English...
    • Create a new word list...
  • Copy
  • Add to Phrasebook

• No word lists for E
sweeneyrod
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It's difficult to say, because dropping FM after AS would be very unusual for an applicant to Cambridge for a subject where maths is important. If they think you've done that because you find FM too hard I expect it would disadvantage you significantly. You can see the predicted grades of 2019 offer holders here. Most of them have A-level FM and I couldn't see any with a prediction of below an A in it.
Christos2209
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by sweeneyrod)
I saw 58 with AS levels and 50 of those had "a" predictions. But there were about 750 people with further maths A levels with A*s or As so yeah.... Do one of those exist for Imperial college EEE? This is really interesting and useful.
sweeneyrod
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I saw 58 with AS levels and 50 of those had "a" predictions. But there were about 750 people with further maths A levels with A*s or As so yeah.... Do one of those exist for Imperial college EEE? This is really interesting and useful.
Not sure, you can see the freedom of information requests they've had here. You could always submit one yourself.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Replying is easier on our app - Click here to download for FREE!
Get it on Google Play
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Today on TSR

Did you get the SQA results you wanted today?

Yes- I did even better than I hoped! (6)
15.79%
Yes- I got what I was hoping for (11)
28.95%
No- my results weren't as good as I'd hoped (21)
55.26%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed