Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi all, this is the info/FAQ thread for this year's Cambridge undergraduate decisions

Decision Day is Wednesday 15th January 2020 for ALL COLLEGES.

The University has collectively agreed all candidates (regardless of college) will be emailed with the outcome of their application on the 15th January. The only exception will be for candidates who are invited to second "pool" interviews who will be contacted about their interview from 9th January. Nobody else will hear any earlier. From past experience there may be occasional instances where emails are not sent on the 15th so if you have not heard anything by the 16th you could contact your college. Candidates being made offers will very likely also be sent letters (with important contractual information), other candidates may also be sent letters but will get an email too which is likely to arrive first.

*Candidates invited to reinterview will have had colleges commit to this and will not be disadvantaged by missing calls or not immediately replying to emails. Pool interviews are a very small part of the admissions round with only 126 applicants reinterviewed last year.

It is worth checking now that your preference college has your up-to-date contact details, including mobile and landline numbers. If these have changed since you were interviewed and you haven't told them just update your info on UCAS - your college uses that for decisions.

Most people will receive their email on 15th January from their preference college (ie the one you applied to), and this will tell you one of the following:
  • you have been made an offer (however any conditions attached to that offer may be provided separately)
  • your application was unsuccessful
  • you were placed in the Winter Pool but unfortunately no other college expressed interest in your application, so your application was unsuccessful

The Winter Pool – what is it?
More info about the Winter Pool here:
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....inter_pool.pdf

Some FAQ:
When will I get my decision email?
Emails are sent by the individual colleges. They may arrive at any time but most likely during normal office hours (9am to 5:30pm UK time). Note, a "late" email is not necessarily an indication of a rejection.

I haven’t received my decision email yet – what should I do?
If you have not heard anything at all by Thursday 16th January, contact your preference college.

Is there any possibility of changing the college that has made me a Pool offer or called me for re-interview?
No. If you are worried about it being an all-women/out of town/modern/mature student college, check out the individual college threads in the Cambridge forum. Many others have been there before you!

Will my school/referee be told my decision?
(Original post by Murray Edwards Admissions)
On this, Colleges have historically done different things, some contacting referees and others not. There has been some considerable discussion about it and how to interpret the data protection act. It has been left up to Colleges to interpret the act and though I think some Colleges may continue to contact referees, I suspect that most will not. At Murray Edwards we are not going to contact referees.
When will UCAS Track be updated?
Judging by previous years CAO sends the vast majority of decisions to UCAS 2 days after decision day (i.e. Friday) so track will update after that. Nobody should panic if they've not heard anything on track. It's the communication from your College which is of primary importance.

How do I get feedback on my application, and when will I get it?
(Original post by Peterhouse Admissions)
Email your college asking for feedback, including your name and UCAS ID. If you're thinking of reapplying it is useful to include this so we can address it in the letter. Letters are written individually and we get hundreds of requests so it can take a few months for them all to be sent.
Also Cambridge's official info: How to get feedback
NOTE: Offer holders can't request feedback, the offer *is* your feedback - but if really want to you can always ask your DoS when you go up to Cambridge.

Also:
We have a Decisions (No Discussion) thread for you to post all your details (Offer or Rejection!) here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6299148

and thanks to tedinbed a lovely Offers spreadsheet (this will be opened for action just before decisions arrive!):
Form https://forms.gle/VVWkejGQg1uJwjsR9
Results https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Other useful links:

And finally...
Do post in this thread and let us know how it's all working for you. If you have been successful, congratulations. If not, commiserations, but remember there is life after a Cambridge rejection, as many excellent people have reason to know!

Important info from the ATs:
Admissions offices are all working really hard to get information out to candidates as quickly and efficiently as possible but please give us time as there is a lot to get through. To aid that, please don't ring up or email to ask about your application on Decision Day, it will only slow things down for everyone. You will find out. Colleges will be emailing their rejects and offers in different orders so don't read anything into what other colleges are doing and extrapolate out to your decision. Some colleges will send attachments with the offer letter, others will not so again don't read anything into that.

Also, really important, do keep checking your junk box as you may have an offer waiting there from another college while you wait fruitlessly to hear from your original college. If you have an offer from the Pool it is the offering college from which you will hear.
Last edited by Doones; 11 months ago
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi all, just quoting you in here so everyone finds this thread - I hope it's helpful ahead of Wednesday.
Fingers crossed for you all and good luck Image
Whatever happens you're gonna be amazing!
Last edited by RK; 10 months ago
A level nerd
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Great thread & intro!!

Will wish everyone luck & hope that life at/after Cambridge is as good for all of you
Formosa
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Wish everyone good luck tomorrow!
pottah
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
thank you for this! Good luck everyone
Deggs_14
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Good luck to everyone
thekidwhogames
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Good luck everyone! I'm shaking
barror1
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Good luck everyone!
No mater what the outcome is, don't be too hard on yourself. I was rejected last January and life is so good at my second choice uni!
Bringing good vibes your way :grouphugs:
Wired_1800
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by barror1)
Good luck everyone!
No mater what the outcome is, don't be too hard on yourself. I was rejected last January and life is so good at my second choice uni!
Bringing good vibes your way :grouphugs:
If i may ask, where did you end up?
barror1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Wired_1800)
If i may ask, where did you end up?
Of course you can ask!
I am at York studying English/Linguistics after being rejected for English at Trinity Cambs
lizzieirwin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This is so helpful, thankyou!
Good luck to everyone :-)
Wired_1800
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by barror1)
Of course you can ask!
I am at York studying English/Linguistics after being rejected for English at Trinity Cambs
Oh, well done.
mathshooray
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Good luck to everybody!
anwargulana
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Good luck to you all!! <3
thomasbdog
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Good luck everyone 💝
GreenCub
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Good luck everyone! To me the thought of opening that email is terrifying...
Wired_1800
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Good luck to everyone. :crossedf: Tomorrow is the day when you achieve a dream that some of you have held for years.

I hope it goes well for everyone. For those of you who receive offers, well done. :clap2: The journey has just started. Don't forget that Cambridge is tough and you have to put in the work. Take advantage of the opportunities from College to your Department and everything in between. Remember to also thank those who have helped you along the way like your parents, teachers, tutors, friends and so on. Show appreciation and do them proud.

For those deselected, commiserations. :cry:It would be painful, but you will be alright in the end. Remember that, with or without Cambridge, your future is in your hands. Don't beat yourself up. Cry, mourn for your loss and then keep moving on. You can try again in October, if you want to do so, or go to another fantastic uni as your second choice.

Try to get some rest tonight, if you can. I know the excitement/stress wont let you.

All the best
Deggs_14
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I need advice on how to sleep this evening
学生の父
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Deggs_14)
I need advice on how to sleep this evening
Name:  Sheep.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  16.2 KB
tedinbed
Badges: 12
Report 1 year ago
The offers form is open and ready to receive your entries - just had a thought that we may have to put TBC as offer conditions and sort these later.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (61)
17.28%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (98)
27.76%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (135)
38.24%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (48)
13.6%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.12%

Watched Threads