Why do some think that UK foreign policy justifies terror attacks in the UK? Watch

89leah
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I have heard many people, both lay people and journalists (such as Mehdi Hassan, many Guardian writers) implying that UK foreign policy is somehow an excuse for terror attacks which happen here in the UK.

It irritates me; it doesn't what our foreign policy is, people still have to behave themselves when living in our country!

So I just wanted to ask why there is, among the left especially, this sympathy for terrorists?
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
There is a big difference between seeking to excuse/justify terrorist criminality and mentioning the likelihood of 'a savage retaliation' from the evil terror groups furious at the foreign policy actions that weaken their capability to inflict bloodthirsty chaos upon defenceless civilian populations.

In my experience, most of the individuals that openly cite British & American foreign policy decisions in justification of terror attacks on the streets of the uk and usa are either: terrorist appeasers, terrorist sympathisers, smirking terrorists in expensive suits or lobbyists on the payroll of one of the prior three.
This applies to persons and groups spread out all over the political spectrum- not just "the left", "far left", "right wing" or "far right".
Last edited by londonmyst; 1 week ago
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by 89leah)
I have heard many people, both lay people and journalists (such as Mehdi Hassan, many Guardian writers) implying that UK foreign policy is somehow an excuse for terror attacks which happen here in the UK.

It irritates me; it doesn't what our foreign policy is, people still have to behave themselves when living in our country!

So I just wanted to ask why there is, among the left especially, this sympathy for terrorists?
Your post comes across as naive.

The UK foreign policy directly or indirectly destabilises other countries and negatively impacts the citizens of those countries. As a result, those citizens revenge against us in retaliation. It is stupid to think that we can bomb or kill other people, but we expect them not to revenge.

Let me give you an example. Some years ago, I watched a documentary about the aftermath of Western coalition-led bombing in the middle east. The camera showed displaced people and survivors in the wreckage. Now, imagine a 9 year old boy, who grows up without his family and in poverty in a refugee camp. At the age of 18, he finds out that the West killed his family when they were fighting other people. Do you think he would go “Ah, this alright then, the British did the right thing of wiping out my family. Maybe I should not revenge”?

Of course not, he will retaliate for British Army being part of the group that killed his family and he would be justified to revenge. I would revenge, if the Iranian Army killed a member of my family.

We should know that the Government does things in our name. We are part of the system even though we play naive and ignorant.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

I don't know about foreign policy, but poor writing such as this makes me want to jihad.
Burton Bridge
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

There is a large difference between justification of terrorist abhorrent actions and trying to understand the motives for those carrying out these acts.

Simply mentioning what we do and how these acts can be twisted or used to make more terrorists, isnt providing any justification of terrorism.
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Well let's look at things from a different perspective. Why are terrorist attacks justification for invasions of the likes of Iraq and Afghanistan as well as a multitude of drone attacks and minor campaigns?
elodie269
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
Well let's look at things from a different perspective. Why are terrorist attacks justification for invasions of the likes of Iraq and Afghanistan as well as a multitude of drone attacks and minor campaigns?
The terrorist attacks still shouldn't have happened in the first place. You seem to have missed the entire point I was making, which is that whatever the UK government does abroad is IRRELEVANT to any justification of terror attacks (which are attacks on civilians, OUTSIDE of war - that's what terror is) on home soil. This is what annoys me.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by elodie269)
The terrorist attacks still shouldn't have happened in the first place. You seem to have missed the entire point I was making, which is that whatever the UK government does abroad is IRRELEVANT to any justification of terror attacks (which are attacks on civilians, OUTSIDE of war - that's what terror is) on home soil. This is what annoys me.
The problem is that you are trying to separate war from peace. That is the Government is at war with another Government or military. However, that is not how certain wars are fought. There are cases where civilians get involved through harm and this is usually called collateral damage.

Another mistake that I think you have probably made is that you have equated the strength of the opponent to be par with that of the UK. This means that the opponent should revenge against the UK’s military rather than the UK itself (military and civilians)

In many cases, the above are not true. Those who attack the UK are clearly aware that they either don't have the military power to fight back nor do they have the ability to do so. So they resort to guerrilla tactics.

Something that you should understand is that the UK is at war. This means everyone. Not the military or Boris Johnson and the Government, but everyone. So we should be prepared for any reaction or attack that is done by the enemy.
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by elodie269)
So by that same measure, Britain's foreign policy and deployment of troops and military should in no way be justified by terrorist attacks?

Which is a terrorist? Someone who kills people on London Bridge or a British soldier who breaks into and kills people in a family's house in the hunt for supposed terrorists? Because depending where you happen to be sat, there is no difference in terms of the experience those who suffer have.

Ultimately it comes down to whose side is God on?
Last edited by ByEeek; 1 day ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (214)
52.84%
No (191)
47.16%

Watched Threads