aeneas_son
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Title says it all! For anyone that's taken gap years, was it worth it? And if you didn't take one, do you regret it? I'm still on the fence about this, since I'm not sure if it would be good if I want to get into medicine (which is already a long course- I'm gonna be old by the time I'm out of uni). It also sounds silly, but I'm scared I'd forget everything I'd learnt if I would take a year off, or if applying to uni suddenly becomes harder.

Any advice?
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by aeneas_son)
...I'm gonna be old by the time I'm out of uni...
I hope you are joking because a 23 / 24 (or even 30) year old doctor is not old by any means.

A productive gap year is encouraged by the medical schools, that's all there is to say really.

Some people are "forced" to take gap years because they didn't get the grades, or the med school gave them an offer for deferred entry. Other people use the gap year to travel the world or earn money for the course.

Finally, for medicine anyway, you really don't need to know anything prior to the start of the course. Don't bother revising over the Summer before you start med school please - the universities know that we all come from a different background, so GEM courses even allows graduates holding non-science degrees, while Newcastle have no specific A-Level subject requirements so you may as well have just got AAA in English, Art and Geography!
Last edited by ecolier; 1 week ago
aeneas_son
Rep:
?
skjfs i meant that some courses are 7-9 years long, and if i take a gap year on top of that, i might end up leaving university around 30 years old and so many people around me seem to just grind to a halt around that age. i dont want to hurl myself straight into the scene, you know? i feel like at 30 i'd need to be an extremely dedicated doctor and by then i wont have much time for myself (although, i suppose thats how any doctor will be like).

(Original post by ecolier)
Finally, for medicine anyway, you really don't need to know anything prior to the start of the course. Don't bother revising over the Summer before you start med school please - the universities know that we all come from a different background, so GEM courses even allows graduates holding non-science degrees, while Newcastle have no specific A-Level subject requirements so you may as well have just got AAA in English, Art and Geography!
this helped, thank you! i realise that unis will teach you most of the stuff we need to learn anyway so i shouldnt worry too much about that. i'll see how i hold up next year and if i feel like i need to take a productive gap year then!

also, if i were to take a gap year, would i need to do the BMAT and UCAT twice? as in, do it again for the year that i would apply (so i should take the tests this year, but if i took a gap year would i need to take them again next year for uni in 2022?)
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by aeneas_son)
skjfs i meant that some courses are 7-9 years long, and if i take a gap year on top of that, i might end up leaving university around 30 years old and so many people around me seem to just grind to a halt around that age. i dont want to hurl myself straight into the scene, you know? i feel like at 30 i'd need to be an extremely dedicated doctor and by then i wont have much time for myself (although, i suppose thats how any doctor will be like).
You are in for an awakening. Many junior doctors are about to take their most demanding exams around that age - the dreaded medical (and surgical and other specialties) post-graduate exams. And of course many will also do Masters or PhDs. It doesn't finish when you graduate, you know (in fact that's the easy part!!).

....also, if i were to take a gap year, would i need to do the BMAT and UCAT twice? as in, do it again for the year that i would apply (so i should take the tests this year, but if i took a gap year would i need to take them again next year for uni in 2022?)
Noooo, you only take it the year before starting your course. It wouldn't be valid for next year's entry anyway (unless you applied that year for deferred entry into next year).
Last edited by ecolier; 1 week ago
aeneas_son
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
You are in for an awakening. Many junior doctors are about to take their most demanding exams around that age - the dreaded medical (and surgical and other specialties) post-graduate exams. And of course many will also do Masters or PhDs. It doesn't finish when you graduate, you know (in fact that's the easy part!!).
wow, i dont know whether i should be scared or determined. that gap year is seeming nicer and nicer; i kind of want to take things slowly. not postpone all of this per se, but take a breath before life moves forward faster than i can catch up
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (202)
53.44%
No (176)
46.56%

Watched Threads