reenie8723
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Hi, I'm in year 9 now and I have to pick my subjects in March and I'm extremely confused on what to pick. So, my options that I was thinking of is 1st: Computer Science (I have no knowledge of this subject at all but still want to do it) 2nd: History (really enjoy this subject predicted 8s and 9s) 3rd: Art Or Economics (really confused between these 2 can someone pls help me especially if you have done any of these subjects together). Everyone has told me that these subjects will be way too hard and too much considering I really WANT triple sciemce, additional maths and higher maths
PetitePanda
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I did art and history and I will tell you it’s a lot of work (for art) and content (for history)
Himynameisdaisy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I found history to be very interesting and it became one of my favourite subjects (I had a very good teacher and great class which definitely contributed) I did computer science and I’ll be honest, I hated it. However, I had a very bad teacher who never actually taught us anything, and never helped. You don’t need prior knowledge for it, you learn everything during the course. Art, while I haven’t done it myself, I know to be very time consuming. If you’re very passionate about, then go ahead but otherwise I’d personally steer away, given that you’re doing further maths too. I’d recommend doing triple science, namely because if you find it too hard, then it’s easy to drop down, but it’s a lot harder to go up from double to triple. Honestly, just do what you enjoy, it’s not the end of the world if you don’t get straight 9s in GCSE. As long as you can get into the college/sixth form courses you want to, then that’s fine
reenie8723
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by Himynameisdaisy)
I found history to be very interesting and it became one of my favourite subjects (I had a very good teacher and great class which definitely contributed) I did computer science and I’ll be honest, I hated it. However, I had a very bad teacher who never actually taught us anything, and never helped. You don’t need prior knowledge for it, you learn everything during the course. Art, while I haven’t done it myself, I know to be very time consuming. If you’re very passionate about, then go ahead but otherwise I’d personally steer away, given that you’re doing further maths too. I’d recommend doing triple science, namely because if you find it too hard, then it’s easy to drop down, but it’s a lot harder to go up from double to triple. Honestly, just do what you enjoy, it’s not the end of the world if you don’t get straight 9s in GCSE. As long as you can get into the college/sixth form courses you want to, then that’s fine
thank you sooo much
xoamox
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
same as what the person above said, I loveeeeeeee history so damn much and will probably take it for a levels, however there's A LOT of content for it and if you are passionate about it and don't mind that, then history is for you. computer science on the other hand, eh - I've had such bad teachers but I like the theory and hate programming: if you don't know the basics of programming for computer science then I recommend you don't take it unless you're willing to put the effort in. my friend also takes art and she's got soooooo much coursework and sometimes it can get overwhelming - but whelp that's most GCSE subjects for you - go and talk to the teachers for these subjects and maybe they could give you some insight
daisymay21
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I did Art and Triple Science at GCSE because I felt that these were two subjects I was quite interested in taking. I will say that finding the time for each subject was difficult, and Art especially was very time consuming, however I wouldn’t have picked any different. I wouldn’t say that wanting to do Triple Science and Art is extremely hard, if you put in the work then it is actually fine.
17t.martin
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by reenie8723)
Hi, I'm in year 9 now and I have to pick my subjects in March and I'm extremely confused on what to pick. So, my options that I was thinking of is 1st: Computer Science (I have no knowledge of this subject at all but still want to do it) 2nd: History (really enjoy this subject predicted 8s and 9s) 3rd: Art Or Economics (really confused between these 2 can someone pls help me especially if you have done any of these subjects together). Everyone has told me that these subjects will be way too hard and too much considering I really WANT triple sciemce, additional maths and higher maths
Hey,
I’m doing my GCSE course at the moment, so I’ll just tell you what I know.
My friends do computer science but they say it is very hard, it is known to be one of the hardest GCSES. Considering you are doing hard subjects such as additional and higher maths, I think it may be too much, but it’s up to you.
I do history and I really enjoy it, it’s such a great course and I am predicted level 9. You will have to write lots of essays though! You will need good time management- I just had mock exams and most people struggled with that. You will also need to know how to answer source based questions, but those are pretty straightforward tbh.
I don’t do art or economics, sorry but my friend does art and she finds it very time consuming. I think economics could suit you better if you enjoy maths and it may be an interesting subject.
Triple science is good, I do that and it’s so good, especially if you want to do it for A-Level.
Hope that helped
lirjonker
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by reenie8723)
I study both Art and History and I must say that Art is one of the most time consuming GCSEs. I don't know which board you will do but Edexcel Fine Art is so much work and my whole class regrets their choice. We all love the subject, it's just that the stress and that way that we feel it's stopping us from working on other subjects is really worrying. History is amazing if you crack the exam technique code. I got 4s in my first test in Year 9 (my school picks GCSE subjects in Year 8 and starts them in year 9) but when the penny dropped about exam technique my grades sky-rocketed (I got an 8 in my End of Year exam that same year and a 9 in the end of Year in year 10). History is a great GCSE, I have absolutely no regrets.
Take Art if you really really enjoy it, but if you want to take it because you don't know what you want for your last choice and are just doing it cos it looks fun (like one of my classmates) there will be big problems. Be prepared for the workload. Otherwise I absolutely love Art. just choose it very very carefully.
reenie8723
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by daisymay21)
I did Art and Triple Science at GCSE because I felt that these were two subjects I was quite interested in taking. I will say that finding the time for each subject was difficult, and Art especially was very time consuming, however I wouldn’t have picked any different. I wouldn’t say that wanting to do Triple Science and Art is extremely hard, if you put in the work then it is actually fine.
thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How are your mock exams going?

Love them - Feeling positive (16)
7.69%
They've been reasonable (88)
42.31%
Not feeling great... (51)
24.52%
They are TERRIBLE! (53)