Poll: How do you feel about prelims?
I'm prepared and ready for them :D (1)
10%
Not ready yet, but getting there :) (1)
10%
Okay, but quite nervous :o (2)
20%
Totally unprepared and stressed out :eek3: (2)
20%
I have prelims?!? :shock: (0)
0%
I've finished mine/don't have any :cool: (4)
40%
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
We're at that time of year when most S4/5/6 students in Scotland are getting ready for prelims, and some of you will already be in the midst of them :eek:

How are you feeling about them?
thatone_hollie
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
we did ours in December and it helps so much to basically gain a extra month to do assignments in January instead of February
Labrador99
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by thatone_hollie)
we did ours in December and it helps so much to basically gain a extra month to do assignments in January instead of February
Never thought of it that way, as had always thought it was awfy early for prelims, but being able to get assignments done in January (and not revising over Christmas/New Year) sounds pretty good!
Sacha Wylie
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Just finished ours at my school - all went well apart from maths where I got a C, but I got an A in everything else. Definitely nice to have more time to do assignments though.
Labrador99
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by Sacha Wylie)
Just finished ours at my school - all went well apart from maths where I got a C, but I got an A in everything else. Definitely nice to have more time to do assignments though.
That's a great set of grades at this point- well done! If you're ever stuck with maths, there's some brilliant people in the maths forum who are always happy to help
Sacha Wylie
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Thank you!! I'm definitely going to have a look at the maths forum
xBeccaPx
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 21 hours ago
My first prelim is higher english tomorrow and I have never been more nervous in my life. I cannot write fast at all and am struggling to memorise any quotes
Labrador99
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 21 hours ago
(Original post by xBeccaPx)
My first prelim is higher english tomorrow and I have never been more nervous in my life. I cannot write fast at all and am struggling to memorise any quotes
:wavey:

On writing fast, this was something I can remember being really worried about...In the exam situation though, many people surprise themselves with how much they're able to write, so don't stress too much about that side of things. In general, it's also a case of quality over quantity :yep:

With the quotes, you don't need masses of them-just a couple per paragraph is plenty! Even if you can't remember the exact wording it's okay- a quote is great, but a reference to the text is also more than fine!

I felt the exact same before higher English, so I know this is much easier said than done, but remember it's a prelim, not the real thing...Lots of people improve loads, particularly in English, between prelims and the exam, so the worst that can happen is that you learn which areas of the course you need to concentrate on.

Make sure you get a decent rest tonight and just do your best tomorrow- that's all anyone can ask of you. You've got this :yep: :rave:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How are your mock exams going?

Love them - Feeling positive (9)
10.71%
They've been reasonable (30)
35.71%
Not feeling great... (24)
28.57%
They are TERRIBLE! (21)