_Mia101
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi!
So, I while back I applied to this private school for a scholarship and today I was just offered a full scholarship.
However, I also applied to my local school (at the private school I'd have to be a boarder) and I got in there too.

At the private school, they get really good results, like 54% A* and 70% A*-A, but at the state it is like 70% A*-B.

However, the private school is in the middle of nowhere and it had okay vibes. It seemed to be very academic (like all the clubs were academic - debate and the like), and there were a lot of international students (which is both a good and not so good thing).

The state school had really good vibes and I know the area and there were a lot of things to do out of school.

In both schools the students tend to go to good unis, like Exeter, UCL, Bath and the like. With around 10 going to Oxbridge in the private school and the odd 1 or 2 in the state school. However in the state school some kids go to not so good unis too, like Coventry and Westminster Uni.

Spoiler:
Show

I know where other people go won't determine where I'd go, but I want to give a big picture of the two schools.

If it were up to you what would you pick?
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It all depends on the individual, I personally would advise stick to what you know. If you've been in a state school most your life, stay there and spend the money on extra tuition and resources and vice versa.

It all depends on your approach, private schools don't have a magic potion that makes people smarter, you're taught the same curriculum in the same way. The bias is in the peoples background, people in private schools tend to have more affluent parents since they can afford such luxuries which reflect in their performance as they'd be more disciplined and serious and already have a highly educated background many will also have more involved parents.
Those with similar backgrounds in good (or above) state schools tend to do the same, although granted if they went to a poor state school they not perform to the best of their abilities but as you've stated, this is a good state school where clearly your outcome is based on what you put in. The only difference is in private schools you're able to get more focused help, this is possible in state schools depending on the teacher and maybe their liking to you, but with a private tutor you'd have this focused support.

Unless you're accustomed to a private school culture since I know many can be drastically different to normal state schools. I think if you have a state school background you may struggle to fit in (and vice versa ofc) so its more important you're in a background you feel comfortable with, I don't think the benefits you're looking for are what a private school can efficiently offer, it'd be far more efficient and yield better results with the state school and private tutoring.

You're also at an advantage as Oxford and Cambridge actually have a bias to state schools (again this comes to background judgement) coming from a private school background means you have more than likely have an affluent background and if you don't, that assumption will still be made so the best is expected of you, no sympathy, you'd have higher expectations than other applicants. While state schools students have a more relaxed approach, getting AAA from a state school is far more respected than AAA from a private school, this is judgement is made on a background assumption that universities must make to be fairer to state schools, while its actually unfair to private school students. In terms of admissions, Oxbridge and others don't really bias against private or state schools, if anything they bias in favour of state schools although statistics would have you believe otherwise. Its the fact the people with more educated backgrounds are likely to have wealthier backgrounds and are hence more likely to go to a private school rather than a state school, those with a similar background but actually went to a state school are also the ones you'll see getting the best grades.

So my point is, private schools don't necessarily shape individuals results, its more that the individual shapes the private schools results, hence I would advise you go to a state school with the tutoring as I think this would be entirely better in all aspects - easier to settle in and get on with it, if from a state school already you can be with friends, you can pay extra for tailored support, you may benefit from an admissions bias, the smartest people in my school had a grade or 2 dropped from universities like UCL, LSE and Durham despite no other reason other than they're at a state school, the ones I know went on to over achieve their reduced offered grades.
_Mia101
Rep:
?
(Original post by 3121)
It all depends on the individual, I personally would advise stick to what you know. If you've been in a state school most your life, stay there and spend the money on extra tuition and resources and vice versa.

It all depends on your approach, private schools don't have a magic potion that makes people smarter, you're taught the same curriculum in the same way. The bias is in the peoples background, people in private schools tend to have more affluent parents since they can afford such luxuries which reflect in their performance as they'd be more disciplined and serious and already have a highly educated background many will also have more involved parents.
Those with similar backgrounds in good (or above) state schools tend to do the same, although granted if they went to a poor state school they not perform to the best of their abilities but as you've stated, this is a good state school where clearly your outcome is based on what you put in. The only difference is in private schools you're able to get more focused help, this is possible in state schools depending on the teacher and maybe their liking to you, but with a private tutor you'd have this focused support.

Unless you're accustomed to a private school culture since I know many can be drastically different to normal state schools. I think if you have a state school background you may struggle to fit in (and vice versa ofc) so its more important you're in a background you feel comfortable with, I don't think the benefits you're looking for are what a private school can efficiently offer, it'd be far more efficient and yield better results with the state school and private tutoring.

You're also at an advantage as Oxford and Cambridge actually have a bias to state schools (again this comes to background judgement) coming from a private school background means you have more than likely have an affluent background and if you don't, that assumption will still be made so the best is expected of you, no sympathy, you'd have higher expectations than other applicants. While state schools students have a more relaxed approach, getting AAA from a state school is far more respected than AAA from a private school, this is judgement is made on a background assumption that universities must make to be fairer to state schools, while its actually unfair to private school students. In terms of admissions, Oxbridge and others don't really bias against private or state schools, if anything they bias in favour of state schools although statistics would have you believe otherwise. Its the fact the people with more educated backgrounds are likely to have wealthier backgrounds and are hence more likely to go to a private school rather than a state school, those with a similar background but actually went to a state school are also the ones you'll see getting the best grades.

So my point is, private schools don't necessarily shape individuals results, its more that the individual shapes the private schools results, hence I would advise you go to a state school with the tutoring as I think this would be entirely better in all aspects - easier to settle in and get on with it, if from a state school already you can be with friends, you can pay extra for tailored support, you may benefit from an admissions bias, the smartest people in my school had a grade or 2 dropped from universities like UCL, LSE and Durham despite no other reason other than they're at a state school, the ones I know went on to over achieve their reduced offered grades.
Thank you!

Well, there would be no extra tuition as it is a full scholarship however, I've been to both private and state schools. Honestly, at private schools I've always felt that the students feel very entitled and like their parents will pay for their future and careers and so they don't have to work hard at all, although the ones I went to may just be against the norm. However, this private school seems to obviously have a very high work ethic evident in their results.

Yeah, the school seems to have support and I guess I could do private tutoring. My teacher at my current school said they'd tutor me maths for free so I guess that's a start if I need extra help.

Yes when I had my sixth form interview the interviewer at the state school actually mentioned that I'd be at an advantage regarding going to a state school, especially a comp even though they get really good results (on par with ok/good grammars). I mean the class sizes aren't huge like max in 15 so I guess the support would still be good at the state school.

One of my main worries is how much history they have with medicine applicants, which I think I'll possibly end up applying to (after further research of course) Like I said last year only 1 person got into vetmed and that was it, although I don't know how many people applied. They do have a MedSoc, and BMAT/UCAT prep classes though.

Only one other person applied to the sixth form so friends won't be impacted either way, as it'll be new faces either way.
I do have a liking more towards the state school, however I'm worried that I'll be missing out on an opportunity, especially as it'll still be free. That's my main worry. Although there are benefits in state like possible admissions bias.
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by _Mia101)
Thank you!

Well, there would be no extra tuition as it is a full scholarship however, I've been to both private and state schools. Honestly, at private schools I've always felt that the students feel very entitled and like their parents will pay for their future and careers and so they don't have to work hard at all, although the ones I went to may just be against the norm. However, this private school seems to obviously have a very high work ethic evident in their results.

Yeah, the school seems to have support and I guess I could do private tutoring. My teacher at my current school said they'd tutor me maths for free so I guess that's a start if I need extra help.

Yes when I had my sixth form interview the interviewer at the state school actually mentioned that I'd be at an advantage regarding going to a state school, especially a comp even though they get really good results (on par with ok/good grammars). I mean the class sizes aren't huge like max in 15 so I guess the support would still be good at the state school.

One of my main worries is how much history they have with medicine applicants, which I think I'll possibly end up applying to (after further research of course) Like I said last year only 1 person got into vetmed and that was it, although I don't know how many people applied. They do have a MedSoc, and BMAT/UCAT prep classes though.

Only one other person applied to the sixth form so friends won't be impacted either way, as it'll be new faces either way.
I do have a liking more towards the state school, however I'm worried that I'll be missing out on an opportunity, especially as it'll still be free. That's my main worry. Although there are benefits in state like possible admissions bias.
To be honest if it’s free go for it! I can’t see any disadvantages apart from by going there, more is expected of you and if that’s something you’re willing to accept and think you can live up to, then by all means go for it! Ahaha I can easily believe what you’ve said about private school students but I think it’s only true in earlier years, as people grow up it changes, usually around GCSEs and certainly after year 12. Plus they don’t let just anyone into 6th form, even if you’re paying they have a reputation to maintain. People you’re surrounded by shape you and it sounds like these will be excellent like minded people, in year 13 I felt a huge set back by negative people, I felt like if everyone hated studying their subjects, I also can’t like it, how stupid looking back haha.

This is a tough one because a state school with a medsoc?? Sounds amazing. I would say based on my brief knowledge, medicine is really competitive and most people I know at state schools didn’t get in, most people I’ve met at uni went to private schools, I’m sure private schools would be much more helpful in support for such an application from education and applications to events and interview prep, for any other subject I’d say the state school but for this and the fact it’s free, I think private is the better option here plus I think you’re leaning to it.

It’ll be nice to go to school with motivated and fully engaged people,
_Mia101
Rep:
?
(Original post by 3121)
To be honest if it’s free go for it! I can’t see any disadvantages apart from by going there, more is expected of you and if that’s something you’re willing to accept and think you can live up to, then by all means go for it! Ahaha I can easily believe what you’ve said about private school students but I think it’s only true in earlier years, as people grow up it changes, usually around GCSEs and certainly after year 12. Plus they don’t let just anyone into 6th form, even if you’re paying they have a reputation to maintain. People you’re surrounded by shape you and it sounds like these will be excellent like minded people, in year 13 I felt a huge set back by negative people, I felt like if everyone hated studying their subjects, I also can’t like it, how stupid looking back haha.

This is a tough one because a state school with a medsoc?? Sounds amazing. I would say based on my brief knowledge, medicine is really competitive and most people I know at state schools didn’t get in, most people I’ve met at uni went to private schools, I’m sure private schools would be much more helpful in support for such an application from education and applications to events and interview prep, for any other subject I’d say the state school but for this and the fact it’s free, I think private is the better option here plus I think you’re leaning to it.

It’ll be nice to go to school with motivated and fully engaged people,
Okay! Thank you!
I think both schools have some motivated students, with the private school being more motivated/ more ambitious. I think this may be in part because almost all the students in the private school are international (Asian). Although, I don't doubt they will be like minded (the principal is unrealistically strict - dating leads to expulsion) although I don't know whether they will even talk to me much. I've know people who have gone to schools with a similar demographic who end up feeling alone for 2 years, because outside of class they are all speaking Mandarin/Malay.

Yeah, that is my worry. That because of how competitive it is the school may not be able to give as much support as they seem to project they do. Even though according to statistics a higher percentage of state school kids get in (According to Oxford); like 14% to 11%. Yes, I do think they'll be much stronger (the private school) for interview prep and admissions. Although they did say outright that they can't really help with work experience, and that I should find it in my own time and do it during summer, while the state school said they have a link with a local hospital and a care home where I could go every week.

I think the private school overall will give me more opportunities, but I have a little more time to think it through... hopefully if I can find someone who went there I can learn what it is like from someone who's been there. Cos, on the internet it has a bit of a bad rep, but when I went there it seemed nice.
RandomChocolate
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi!
So, I while back I applied to this private school for a scholarship and today I was just offered a full scholarship.
However, I also applied to my local school (at the private school I'd have to be a boarder) and I got in there too.

At the private school, they get really good results, like 54% A* and 70% A*-A, but at the state it is like 70% A*-B.

However, the private school is in the middle of nowhere and it had okay vibes. It seemed to be very academic (like all the clubs were academic - debate and the like), and there were a lot of international students (which is both a good and not so good thing).

The state school had really good vibes and I know the area and there were a lot of things to do out of school.

In both schools the students tend to go to good unis, like Exeter, UCL, Bath and the like. With around 10 going to Oxbridge in the private school and the odd 1 or 2 in the state school. However in the state school some kids go to not so good unis too, like Coventry and Westminster Uni.

Spoiler:
Show

I know where other people go won't determine where I'd go, but I want to give a big picture of the two schools.

So for me grades play really huge role and Oxbridge success rates. However I would still be lenient towards the state school because the private school was boarding and as you said it was very strict. But since you did get a full scholarship (congrats btw) I think in the end I would've chosen to go to the private school.

However it does seem from your description that you prefer the state school. Obviously you have to consider what aspects are more important to you cos it's like it seems there is no social life at this private school and that can really affect your mindset and your confidence etc. And the dating = expulsion thing sucks as well. But don't base off of this cos tbh I don't know for sure what I would go for.
2childmum!
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Does the scholarship cover stuff like textbooks and exam entries? You usually have to pay for stuff like that at a private school. Plus things like uniform (if they have it for sixth form) and games kit are usually much more expensive. And does it cover food? I would think so, if it's boarding, but again not all private schools provide that in their fees.
Zed03
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I would go for the state school but that's just my opinion and I am not a good person at all for advice. I feel like allthough grades are super important too my enjoyment and how I feel is important too. But the private school feels much more a sensible option
Igotbbcalevel
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
what is your social class
_Mia101
Rep:
?
(Original post by RandomChocolate)
So for me grades play really huge role and Oxbridge success rates. However I would still be lenient towards the state school because the private school was boarding and as you said it was very strict. But since you did get a full scholarship (congrats btw) I think in the end I would've chosen to go to the private school.

However it does seem from your description that you prefer the state school. Obviously you have to consider what aspects are more important to you cos it's like it seems there is no social life at this private school and that can really affect your mindset and your confidence etc. And the dating = expulsion thing sucks as well. But don't base off of this cos tbh I don't know for sure what I would go for.
Yeah, grades are really important for me too. Especially as I have high ambitions. Oxbridge success less so as it isn’t the end all but would be nice and indicates how experienced a school is at getting people in.

For example the state school got 1 person into Cambridge, while the private school got 6 into Cambridge and 1 into Oxford. Although, to be fair more people probably applied to oxbridge in the private school than in the state school and they are definitely smarter in the private school.

Yeah it does seem really strict although as I don’t know anyone who has been there I can’t say how strict it really is in practice. I do think I prefer the state school - above average results, although only one or two people in oxbridge each year, it did have better vibes and wasn’t in the middle of nowhere - however, I worry about the opportunities and extra help I could get in a private school.

Yeah, the whole language barrier and different backgrounds/nationalities thing doesn’t appeal to me especially as I’ve heard how it can be hard for some people at other schools like that.

Thanks!
Last edited by _Mia101; 1 week ago
_Mia101
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2childmum!)
Does the scholarship cover stuff like textbooks and exam entries? You usually have to pay for stuff like that at a private school. Plus things like uniform (if they have it for sixth form) and games kit are usually much more expensive. And does it cover food? I would think so, if it's boarding, but again not all private schools provide that in their fees.
It covers boarding and food and anything related to that, yes. Neither schools have a uniform at sixth form so that won’t really matter. I doubt it covers the games kit. Textbooks aren’t included; however, I don’t know if the state school provides us with textbooks either though. I know for the private school I’d have to pay for exam entries for sure.
_Mia101
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zed03)
I would go for the state school but that's just my opinion and I am not a good person at all for advice. I feel like allthough grades are super important too my enjoyment and how I feel is important too. But the private school feels much more a sensible option
Ah okay, yeah the private school does seem more sensible overall, but I just don’t know... I don’t want to be in a sad place where I can barely talk to anyone for two years...

(Original post by Igotbbcalevel)
what is your social class
I don’t think that is relevant.
Haroldinho9
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Definitely go to the private school, given that it’s free aswell, it’ll be an experience vastly different to a state school.

Go for it !
_Mia101
Rep:
?
(Original post by Haroldinho9)
Definitely go to the private school, given that it’s free aswell, it’ll be an experience vastly different to a state school.

Go for it !
Okay, have you gone to a private sixth form (with a high international popularity) before?

Thanks!
Daisy02
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I would choose the private school. Even though the local school may have better vibes, to gain a scholarship to a boarding school is a fantastic achievement that may change your life.There is a reason parents send their children to private schools. Of course, they provide better classroom teaching, but also infinitely better extra-curricular that will make you a well-rounded person. And above all, they give you a network for life.
_Mia101
Rep:
?
(Original post by Daisy02)
I would choose the private school. Even though the local school may have better vibes, to gain a scholarship to a boarding school is a fantastic achievement that may change your life.There is a reason parents send their children to private schools. Of course, they provide better classroom teaching, but also infinitely better extra-curricular that will make you a well-rounded person. And above all, they give you a network for life.
Okay, thank you very much! Although, I don’t think I’d get many more extra-curriculars as the school is very academic and only really has things like debate club. And the odd football team for boys.

Do you think the fact that most people don’t speak English as a first language would change my experience?
RandomChocolate
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Okay, thank you very much! Although, I don’t think I’d get many more extra-curriculars as the school is very academic and only really has things like debate club. And the odd football team for boys.

Do you think the fact that most people don’t speak English as a first language would change my experience?
hey sorry just got one question and I think this should be the deciding factor: can you please elaborate on the language of the school cos I'm really confused
Igotbbcalevel
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
international students are way more hard working
_Mia101
Rep:
?
(Original post by RandomChocolate)
hey sorry just got one question and I think this should be the deciding factor: can you please elaborate on the language of the school cos I'm really confused
The school is English and everything and the lessons are in English, however a high proportion of the students (most of the students start in the sixth form) do not speak English as a first language and are coming to England from Hong Kong, Malysia and Mainland China.
Elliot2002
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi!

Spoiler:
Show

Westminster is a good uni you potato man.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (98)
50%
No (98)
50%

Watched Threads