TazmeenX
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I was thinking about doing a language at a-level but people have said its basically like english lit but in another language? do you have to do lots of complicated comprehension. I like how it is now at GCSE but will i enjoy it at a-level (keep in min i hate english lit lmao)
slide27
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It depends really but u can give it shoot in the the first few weeks when your in year 12 but if you don't like the course you could always drop it. but you have to decide on the first few weeks before its too late to change your courses hope this helps ☺
molerer
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
depends if your fluent
TazmeenX
Rep:
?
(Original post by slideshow2377)
It depends really but u can give it shoot in the the first few weeks when your in year 12 but if you don't like the course you could always drop it. but you have to decide on the first few weeks before its too late to change your courses hope this helps ☺
do you know what the course is like?
Rs36347
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you are good with the actual language part, then I wouldn't say the A-level is hard, but I would say with the literature, themes and the film it is a lot of work and there is tons of stuff to get through. Worth it though, I think... Compared to GCSE there is almost no language taught, all of our lessons focus on learning about the culture and current affairs in francophone countries or studying our book/film. It's also (for us) taught completely in french.
Last edited by Rs36347; 1 week ago
TazmeenX
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rs36347)
If you are good with the actual language part, then I wouldn't say the A-level is hard, but I would say with the literature, themes and the film it is a lot of work and there is tons of stuff to get through. Worth it though, I think... Compared to GCSE there is almost no language taught, all of our lessons focus on learning about the culture and current affairs in francophone countries or studying our book/film. It's also (for us) taught completely in french.
so it would just be answering questions about different materials? also are the questions similiar to for example, what we would get in like a eng lang paper or something?
Rs36347
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm not sure what other exam boards are like but for AQA we have 3 papers...
Paper 1 is reading, writing, listening so essentially the language paper. It consists of short answer listening questions, a question where you have to summarise a listening passage, several reading comprehensions, summarising a passage you have read, translation into french, translation into english. This paper uses vocab and concepts you've learnt in the 'culture and current affairs' part of the A level.
Paper 2 is two essays -1 on the book you study and 1 on the film you study.
Paper 3 is the oral, where you talk about your research project and you are given topics from the culture part of the A level to discuss for 5 mins.
Hope this helps!
Honestly I hated English at GCSE so I've kind of erased the whole thing from my mind :/
Lots of the other people in my class love english though so I guess maybe there is a bit of a link- you do have to write essays and do comprehensions I guess but the level expected is different because its all in a foreign language...
Last edited by Rs36347; 1 week ago
TazmeenX
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rs36347)
I'm not sure what other exam boards are like but for AQA we have 3 papers...
Paper 1 is reading, writing, listening so essentially the language paper. It consists of short answer listening questions, a question where you have to summarise a listening passage, several reading comprehensions, summarising a passage you have read, translation into french, translation into english. This paper uses vocab and concepts you've learnt in the 'culture and current affairs' part of the A level.
Paper 2 is two essays -1 on the book you study and 1 on the film you study.
Paper 3 is the oral, where you talk about your research project and you are given topics from the culture part of the A level to discuss for 5 mins.
Hope this helps!
Honestly I hated English at GCSE so I've kind of erased the whole thing from my mind :/
Lots of the other people in my class love english though so I guess maybe there is a bit of a link- you do have to write essays and do comprehensions I guess but the level expected is different because its all in a foreign language...
thank youuu :bigsmile:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

What's stopping you doing a masters?

It's too expensive (47)
24.48%
My career doesn't need one (27)
14.06%