milliedowley
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
As someone who has wanted to go to uni for a long time, this seems an odd question for me to ask. But as of the past few years, I've been dealing with bad anxiety issues and stress problems, I'm worried about being homesick and I know that I would rather focus on the academic side of things rather than social and worry it will cause issues with making friends. I'm starting to wonder whether going is worth it, its a lot of time and money after all and I don't need it for any specific career like medicine etc.

If you go/ have been is it worth it? Is it easy to deal with and what are your experiences like?
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by milliedowley)
As someone who has wanted to go to uni for a long time, this seems an odd question for me to ask. But as of the past few years, I've been dealing with bad anxiety issues and stress problems, I'm worried about being homesick and I know that I would rather focus on the academic side of things rather than social and worry it will cause issues with making friends. I'm starting to wonder whether going is worth it, its a lot of time and money after all and I don't need it for any specific career like medicine etc.

If you go/ have been is it worth it? Is it easy to deal with and what are your experiences like?
I can't recommend going to university with unresolved MH problems. Balancing new responsibilities and motivating yourself to study is not easy.

Ultimately, university is what you make of it. Depends on your end goal and how you're evaluating 'worth'. If you're going to university to improve employment prospects, and you end up in an entry-level job at the end of it, it probably wasn't worth it. However, if you're going for the whole 'experience' (which to me, is overrated), then it's probably worth it.
milliedowley
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
I can't recommend going to university with unresolved MH problems. Balancing new responsibilities and motivating yourself to study is not easy.

Ultimately, university is what you make of it. Depends on your end goal and how you're evaluating 'worth'. If you're going to university to improve employment prospects, and you end up in an entry-level job at the end of it, it probably wasn't worth it. However, if you're going for the whole 'experience' (which to me, is overrated), then it's probably worth it.
that's what was worrying me, to be honest as lots of my anxiety comes from party environments and drinking which if it isn't resolved I know will get worse. I guess I feel some pressure to go as many describe it as the best experience of their lives and not to be missed. I am getting help with my MH but don't reckon it will be sorted by September. I'm frustrated about it but I know it's important to put myself first
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by milliedowley)
that's what was worrying me, to be honest as lots of my anxiety comes from party environments and drinking which if it isn't resolved I know will get worse. I guess I feel some pressure to go as many describe it as the best experience of their lives and not to be missed. I am getting help with my MH but don't reckon it will be sorted by September. I'm frustrated about it but I know it's important to put myself first
Best to wait until everything is sorted. 'Best experience of their lives'... massive overstatement. Most of the time it's revising, being stressed about future career plans, money etc
rclark814
Badges: 3
Report 2 days ago
Do not go if you want to have a great time , if you go with anxiety to a higher level you will hate every day there . Especially in first year . Take a gap year , work and then volunteer , you will be a changed person . Or go to uni on cocaine and mdma
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (89)
13.11%
1 (89)
13.11%
2 (86)
12.67%
19%
22.39%
19.73%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed