rpte3015
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Has anyone gotten into university on a foundation year without having to provideGCSE certificates
Student101A
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
dont lie, they will check and they will retract any offers or place you receive if you lie about them
ella1902
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
They will know if you lie and will either have access to your results (I know this is the case with sqa) or require the certificate.
rpte3015
Rep:
?
It’s not that I’m lying, I have been out of school 12 years and have no idea where the certificates are. I’ve already submitted the application as I knew the results from my old CV. I’m just wondering if they will actually ask for proof etc.
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by rpte3015)
It’s not that I’m lying, I have been out of school 12 years and have no idea where the certificates are. I’ve already submitted the application as I knew the results from my old CV. I’m just wondering if they will actually ask for proof etc.
https://www.gov.uk/replacement-exam-certificate

Yes, they will ask for proof. Get some replacements.
skylark2
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Is that "they've definitely been thrown out" or "I'm not sure which of my six boxes of ancient school stuff they are in"?

If you're pretty sure they're gone, your best option is probably to email the university admissions department(s) you are interested in, explain the situation, and see if they care. For twelve year old qualifications, they might not care anyway.

In general, yes, they ask for proof - though they probably won't ask for proof of your GCSEs unless it's your highest level qualification (so if you have A levels, they'll ask for those but not your GCSEs).
VobL
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by rpte3015)
Has anyone gotten into university on a foundation year without having to provideGCSE certificates
I’ve had to take proof of mine to an interview, like the actual certificates
rpte3015
Rep:
?
I’ve recently left the forces and moved around about 7 times so they are definitely missing. I’ve applied for a foundation year as I’ve been out of education for a while. I have a few certificates Key skills etc but no GCSE certificates. I’m just wondering if they actually want to see them so I can save myself some money getting new ones
skylark2
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Just email them and ask (telling them what you do have the certificates for). If you are going to need to get replacements for the GCSEs, best you know early, and if not then no need to worry. What you don't want is to have to try to get hold of them in a frantic hurry at the last minute.

You won't be the first mature student they've dealt with who doesn't have ancient paperwork at their fingertips, don't worry about it influencing whether they offer you a place.
_gcx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Thought they check this through your ULN. I'm at the beginning of the second term and haven't been asked for any certificates.
chloebird
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Legally they have to, it’s EXTREMELY unlikely that they’ll forget in your case.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Yeah, when I enrolled in freshers week part of that was submitting my certificates for GCSEs, along with my IB diploma. As above, you can get replacements - if for some reason that isn't possible, I would suggest you contact the university for further advice.

This was about 8 years ago for me though...also I was always a bit of an unusual case when it came to enrolling/applying for finance etc, as I have ILR and have lived here for most of my life but am not a British citizen/subject, so maybe they just wanted to see more from me for that reason.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 4 days ago
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by _gcx)
Thought they check this through your ULN. I'm at the beginning of the second term and haven't been asked for any certificates.
Yes they do use the ULN now - I can't remember how long ago these were introduced.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

14.03%
12.26%
12.62%
17.92%
23.23%
19.93%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise