The Student Room Group

Advice for A-Level biology!

Hi, I'm in year 12 and im talking biology, I was wondering if I could get some advice on learning the content and any memorising techniques, because I'm struggling quite a bit at the moments, and getting E's and U's.
My strategy for learning is reading over the notes you make and answering questions on that topic, resources will probably be available online but you can use your biology text book if you have one. Just keep going over questions and marking with mark schemes if available (or ask your teacher if they're nice). Even if the questions you do are repeats, keep doing them until you get the idea of what they are looking for in an answer as there is only so much they can ask.
Also what I'm doing right now for my A levels (or trying to lmao) is making mini notebooks with all the key points from different topics, rewriting your notes or points from a textbook etc in a easier to read way or more concise helps me remember them. I stick to handwriting cos idk I just seem to take it in better.
Just try to stay on top of what you learn in class, even read ahead if you want in order to get basic understanding before covering it in class. Don't worry about the grades you have now, back in year 12 I was getting E's and U's in chemistry but I picked it up by just doing little bits of work and revision that slowly helped me improve.
Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by LeahStarX
Hi, I'm in year 12 and im talking biology, I was wondering if I could get some advice on learning the content and any memorising techniques, because I'm struggling quite a bit at the moments, and getting E's and U's.

I’ve found it quite helpful to watch YouTube videos and videos from revision websites like snap revise etc and then write precise notes on the main aspects/ stages from the video. The videos often break it down quite well and you can obviously replay information as many times as you need. Doing practice papers religiously is also really helpful (boring I know.. but helpful haha), especially as a lot of the questions are sort of recycled from previous papers and just worded differently or have a different stem. I think just revisiting over topics as regularly as you can is also best so maybe make some revision cards with key information on and learn it and then spend just a few minutes each day even in the shower or when getting ready etc just reciting the information from the cards. If you look online there are also COAS biology 1 end of chapter tests on each topic which are also useful for giving some smaller answer questions on each topic you can practice. Biology is pretty hard hahah but just keep working at it you’ll get there! Hope this helped! Good luck :smile:
Original post by x.pxige_
I’ve found it quite helpful to watch YouTube videos and videos from revision websites like snap revise etc and then write precise notes on the main aspects/ stages from the video. The videos often break it down quite well and you can obviously replay information as many times as you need. Doing practice papers religiously is also really helpful (boring I know.. but helpful haha), especially as a lot of the questions are sort of recycled from previous papers and just worded differently or have a different stem. I think just revisiting over topics as regularly as you can is also best so maybe make some revision cards with key information on and learn it and then spend just a few minutes each day even in the shower or when getting ready etc just reciting the information from the cards. If you look online there are also COAS biology 1 end of chapter tests on each topic which are also useful for giving some smaller answer questions on each topic you can practice. Biology is pretty hard hahah but just keep working at it you’ll get there! Hope this helped! Good luck :smile:

Thankyou so much, this was so helpful! How many notes did you take, like how many pages of notes per topic, because I feel like I either write too much or too little!
Original post by Desburrito
My strategy for learning is reading over the notes you make and answering questions on that topic, resources will probably be available online but you can use your biology text book if you have one. Just keep going over questions and marking with mark schemes if available (or ask your teacher if they're nice). Even if the questions you do are repeats, keep doing them until you get the idea of what they are looking for in an answer as there is only so much they can ask.
Also what I'm doing right now for my A levels (or trying to lmao) is making mini notebooks with all the key points from different topics, rewriting your notes or points from a textbook etc in a easier to read way or more concise helps me remember them. I stick to handwriting cos idk I just seem to take it in better.
Just try to stay on top of what you learn in class, even read ahead if you want in order to get basic understanding before covering it in class. Don't worry about the grades you have now, back in year 12 I was getting E's and U's in chemistry but I picked it up by just doing little bits of work and revision that slowly helped me improve.
Hope this helps :smile:

Thankyou so much! The notebook idea is really good, what month did you start doing that? Is it too late to start now? :smile:
Original post by LeahStarX
Thankyou so much! The notebook idea is really good, what month did you start doing that? Is it too late to start now? :smile:

Phaha nah dw if you start now it's much earlier than I did so get on it, I started about March/April for year 12 so was a rush to try to cover everything I could. I've also just started now for year 13, so hopefully my own advice works on me lmao
Original post by Desburrito
Phaha nah dw if you start now it's much earlier than I did so get on it, I started about March/April for year 12 so was a rush to try to cover everything I could. I've also just started now for year 13, so hopefully my own advice works on me lmao

Haha, thanks for the advice! Good luck this year!

Quick Reply

Latest