ARCDN
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I am a 25 year old woman living with my parents. I have applied to commence University this September 2020 - a full time degree for 3 years. I will be 26 by the time I start my degree.

I'm not sure what to put as my circumstances when applying to Student Finance England. At the moment I am employed full-time (and have been for 7 years) and I live with my parents, paying my own rent and bills.

When I know which University I am going to (either Manchester or Leeds) then my partner and I have decided we will rent a house together nearer to the University. He is 27 and also works full time.

Does that mean my application will assess my entitlement based on my parents earnings, my partner's, or my own?

I won't be working when I get into University as I want to put all my attention into my studies, so my financial situation will change dramatically. I'm just a bit confused as to what to put on my application.

I've heard somewhere that i can be assessed as an individual due to me financially supporting myself for the past 7 years, and also due to my age, but I don't know much else about this?

Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.
SFE Ashley
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ARCDN)
I am a 25 year old woman living with my parents. I have applied to commence University this September 2020 - a full time degree for 3 years. I will be 26 by the time I start my degree.

I'm not sure what to put as my circumstances when applying to Student Finance England. At the moment I am employed full-time (and have been for 7 years) and I live with my parents, paying my own rent and bills.

When I know which University I am going to (either Manchester or Leeds) then my partner and I have decided we will rent a house together nearer to the University. He is 27 and also works full time.

Does that mean my application will assess my entitlement based on my parents earnings, my partner's, or my own?

I won't be working when I get into University as I want to put all my attention into my studies, so my financial situation will change dramatically. I'm just a bit confused as to what to put on my application.

I've heard somewhere that i can be assessed as an individual due to me financially supporting myself for the past 7 years, and also due to my age, but I don't know much else about this?

Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.
Hi there,

As you are over the age of 25, your parents do not need to support your application.

If you continue to live in your parents house, we would base your Maintenance Loan entitlement on your income only and as you are a student, we do not need to know your earned income.

If you live with your partner, we would need to know his income to determine your Maintenance Loan entitlement.

Thanks, Ashley.
ARCDN
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by SFE Ashley)
Hi there,

As you are over the age of 25, your parents do not need to support your application.

If you continue to live in your parents house, we would base your Maintenance Loan entitlement on your income only and as you are a student, we do not need to know your earned income.

If you live with your partner, we would need to know his income to determine your Maintenance Loan entitlement.

Thanks, Ashley.
Hi Ashley. Thank you for your reply.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (107)
28.38%
1 (61)
16.18%
2 (54)
14.32%
3 (60)
15.92%
4 (28)
7.43%
5 (25)
6.63%