lirjonker
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi there,

I'm asking here because I'm really struggling to see what the subject is about.
-Is there lots of maths? (Maths is my worst subject, but I have the logic and analytical skills, I used to be brilliant at Science)
-What do students dislike the most about the subject at a-level?

For context I'm taking History A-Level and strongly considering Music A-Level. My school didn't offer the GCSE Economics. I hear it's much like Human Geography, and although I dropped GCSE Geo half way through the course, it was mainly because I found the physical geography boring. Is Economics a really social science or is it just data data data?
ttomato
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by lirjonker)
Hi there,

I'm asking here because I'm really struggling to see what the subject is about.
-Is there lots of maths? (Maths is my worst subject, but I have the logic and analytical skills, I used to be brilliant at Science)
-What do students dislike the most about the subject at a-level?

For context I'm taking History A-Level and strongly considering Music A-Level. My school didn't offer the GCSE Economics. I hear it's much like Human Geography, and although I dropped GCSE Geo half way through the course, it was mainly because I found the physical geography boring. Is Economics a really social science or is it just data data data?
I'm currently taking A Level Economics and I find it very engaging. I didn't take the GCSE beforehand, but the A Level doesn't require any prior knowledge. Put simply, Economics is the study of consumers and how they interact with markets. Maths is involved, but it isn't too advanced; You will need to be confident with percentage change and also be comfortable making inferences from both graphs and tables. You will cover both micro and macroeconomics which will encompass topics such as demand + supply, inflation, monopolies and inequality and poverty. What I like about the subject, is that it's so relevant to what's going on in the real world. While ideas in Maths sometimes feel abstract, in Economics concepts are applied to real-life situations such as Brexit and the 1973 Oil Crisis. What I dislike the most, is probably the sedentary way in which it is taught at my college; we don't debate much and the pace of the class can be slow. That might just be my college though? Economics is not just "data data data," but if that's something you really dislike, it might not be the subject for you.
lirjonker
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by ttomato)
I'm currently taking A Level Economics and I find it very engaging. I didn't take the GCSE beforehand, but the A Level doesn't require any prior knowledge. Put simply, Economics is the study of consumers and how they interact with markets. Maths is involved, but it isn't too advanced; You will need to be confident with percentage change and also be comfortable making inferences from both graphs and tables. You will cover both micro and macroeconomics which will encompass topics such as demand + supply, inflation, monopolies and inequality and poverty. What I like about the subject, is that it's so relevant to what's going on in the real world. While ideas in Maths sometimes feel abstract, in Economics concepts are applied to real-life situations such as Brexit and the 1973 Oil Crisis. What I dislike the most, is probably the sedentary way in which it is taught at my college; we don't debate much and the pace of the class can be slow. That might just be my college though? Economics is not just "data data data," but if that's something you really dislike, it might not be the subject for you.
That’s so helpful thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (108)
50.7%
No (105)
49.3%

Watched Threads