august4th
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Hi I would like to get a grade 9 in French this year for my gcses but struggle with listening and reading.Any tips or resoucres which I could use?
localtoast
Badges: 11
Report 6 days ago
Hi!! I got a 9 last year (2019) and I would advise:
- Getting familiar with the vocabulary (there’s a list of vocabulary on the AQA spec/whatever your exam board is, their spec)
- Making sure you know how to construct the passé composé, l’imparfait and le present temps
- For speaking, speak French as much as you can! Do little mini mocks by yourself. Get the google translate lady to read the question to you and respond straight from your head. It sounds way more fluent and coherent than learning off an answer from paper (nothing wrong with that, but this is how you achieve a higher grade - I answered all of the questions from the speaking exam from my head and I managed to get 57/60 so I must’ve done something right lol)
- Put your phone settings to French, any words you don’t understand? Write them down, add to a Quizlet set and keep learning them.
- Use your exam board’s past papers. Usually for the Listening exams they’ll have transcripts (what the people said, written down) so you can have a read after you’ve done the exam on any words you didn’t understand/quite catch.
- Listen to French music! I quite like Angèle.
- For writing, I’d recommend getting a Word document (or Quizlet set, whatever you prefer) and listing down “quality phrases” like “quoi qu’il en soit”, “à partir de”, “bien que ce soit” etc etc and sprinkle them into your writing as well as you see fit.
- For Reading, again, use the past papers and really try to understand every word to get the full meaning of the text. Any words you don’t recognise? Write them down and study them for later. ObviouslyThe exam board will use words that you’ve never seen before to try and trick you but you can probably work out the meaning from the text so don’t let it throw you off. Exam boards tend to use the same themes and the same words in their texts every year so it’s a good idea to learn some words from them.

Sorry for the long read and I wish you well pursuing a 9 in French! If you need any help, PM me
august4th
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by localtoast)
Hi!! I got a 9 last year (2019) and I would advise:
- Getting familiar with the vocabulary (there’s a list of vocabulary on the AQA spec/whatever your exam board is, their spec)
- Making sure you know how to construct the passé composé, l’imparfait and le present temps
- For speaking, speak French as much as you can! Do little mini mocks by yourself. Get the google translate lady to read the question to you and respond straight from your head. It sounds way more fluent and coherent than learning off an answer from paper (nothing wrong with that, but this is how you achieve a higher grade - I answered all of the questions from the speaking exam from my head and I managed to get 57/60 so I must’ve done something right lol)
- Put your phone settings to French, any words you don’t understand? Write them down, add to a Quizlet set and keep learning them.
- Use your exam board’s past papers. Usually for the Listening exams they’ll have transcripts (what the people said, written down) so you can have a read after you’ve done the exam on any words you didn’t understand/quite catch.
- Listen to French music! I quite like Angèle.
- For writing, I’d recommend getting a Word document (or Quizlet set, whatever you prefer) and listing down “quality phrases” like “quoi qu’il en soit”, “à partir de”, “bien que ce soit” etc etc and sprinkle them into your writing as well as you see fit.
- For Reading, again, use the past papers and really try to understand every word to get the full meaning of the text. Any words you don’t recognise? Write them down and study them for later. ObviouslyThe exam board will use words that you’ve never seen before to try and trick you but you can probably work out the meaning from the text so don’t let it throw you off. Exam boards tend to use the same themes and the same words in their texts every year so it’s a good idea to learn some words from them.

Sorry for the long read and I wish you well pursuing a 9 in French! If you need any help, PM me
Thanks may i ask how did you memorise the vocab?
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by august4th)
I used Quizlet, I found that effective for learning vocab.
localtoast
Badges: 11
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by august4th)
As the person above said, Quizlet. Just dedicate maybe 10-30 mins a day with a super long vocabulary list and you’ll be able to memorise them all by GCSEs!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How are your mock exams going?

Love them - Feeling positive (15)
7.98%
They've been reasonable (77)
40.96%
Not feeling great... (49)
26.06%
They are TERRIBLE! (47)