Caroline Howick
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Hi all!
I'm currently a student in Year 11 and I received my mock results last week and I think it's fair to say, I didn't do amazingly (4s in most.) For the sixth form I would like to go to I need at least 7s and in most of my subjects.

I'm here basically asking - is it possible to go up 3-4 grades in 4 months from mocks or am I being overambitious? Any top tips for revision? Good websites? Things you wished you'd done differently when you were doing GCSE's?

Thank you!!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Caroline Howick)
Hi all!
I'm currently a student in Year 11 and I received my mock results last week and I think it's fair to say, I didn't do amazingly (4s in most.) For the sixth form I would like to go to I need at least 7s and in most of my subjects.

I'm here basically asking - is it possible to go up 3-4 grades in 4 months from mocks or am I being overambitious? Any top tips for revision? Good websites? Things you wished you'd done differently when you were doing GCSE's?

Thank you!!
Depends how hard you work, how smart, how quickly you adapt.
You can improve a lot but only if you work out the difference between a C and an A and you dedicate yourself to improving.
I suggest you focus on English and Maths for a 6 and then your A level choices to get a 6 or 7 so you can do the A level.
Dont worry too much about what you need just try your best as thats all you can do.

You need to practice exams and get the advice to know how to make the difference.
OkDan_
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I'm in Year 11 just like you and I am in a similar situation. In my mocks, I got two 6s, a 5 and the rest are 3s. I'm planning to bolster my grades to 7s and above. Just to reassure you, there are some people who didn't do as well in their mocks eg. 3s/4s/5s and then in their actual GCSEs they achieved 7s/8s/9s. In regards to your question, yes it's INDEED possible to improve by 3/4 grades, it's just that, you have to work extremely hard & discipline yourself. I urgently advise you to start some form of revision as soon as possible because time will fly fast, and people tend to leave revision really late in like late March/April and then some of them regret it due to not having a lot of time which results in them cramming (which can be effective, but not that ideal). You will thank yourself for revising if you start now, as you won't stress that much.

Anyways.

Maths: As Maths is my best subject, I'm going to provide you some tips on it, I got a 6 in it for mocks (few marks off a 7). (Just be aware, I got a 4 in Maths in my Year 10 mocks). Well, how I am revising for Maths is using websites like Mathsgenie, Corrbettmaths, Hegartymaths, and OnMaths. They're really useful for exam questions/past papers/videos. I've heard that there was this one person who went from a 4 to a 9, just by doing every topic on Mathsgenie & Onmaths (at least twice). Also, when you do a past paper, identify where you are losing marks, eg. if you lost marks on Surds, then use videos on how to do Surds etc. I'm aiming for an 8 or 9 in Maths, btw. [You are most likely going to get at least a 7 if you do use these websites effectively)

I hope you do well in your GCSEs, buddy.
Last edited by OkDan_; 4 days ago
Caroline Howick
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Depends how hard you work, how smart, how quickly you adapt.
You can improve a lot but only if you work out the difference between a C and an A and you dedicate yourself to improving.
I suggest you focus on English and Maths for a 6 and then your A level choices to get a 6 or 7 so you can do the A level.
Dont worry too much about what you need just try your best as thats all you can do.

You need to practice exams and get the advice to know how to make the difference.
Thank you so much for this! I'm seriously knuckling down now for maths and english as you suggested because without a good grade in those subjects it's almost impossible to progress on with a-levels as a minimum entry requirement for most sixth forms is a 5.
Thanks again and good luck with all your studies!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 days ago
Thank you so much for this! I'm seriously knuckling down now for maths and english as you suggested because without a good grade in those subjects it's almost impossible to progress on with a-levels as a minimum entry requirement for most sixth forms is a 5.
Thanks again and good luck with all your studies!
The reason English and Maths are important as they are often min requirements for sixth form, uni and jobs.
You often need a 6 or 7 to do a subject at A level.
Practice exams and workbooks.

If you are behind you may need to sacrifice a few or just get organised and create more hours.
Caroline Howick
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
(Original post by OkDan_)
I'm in Year 11 just like you and I am in a similar situation. In my mocks, I got two 6s, a 5 and the rest are 3s. I'm planning to bolster my grades to 7s and above. Just to reassure you, there are some people who didn't do as well in their mocks eg. 3s/4s/5s and then in their actual GCSEs they achieved 7s/8s/9s. In regards to your question, yes it's INDEED possible to improve by 3/4 grades, it's just that, you have to work extremely hard & discipline yourself. I urgently advise you to start some form of revision as soon as possible because time will fly fast, and people tend to leave revision really late in like late March/April and then some of them regret it due to not having a lot of time which results in them cramming (which can be effective, but not that ideal). You will thank yourself for revising if you start now, as you won't stress that much.

Anyways.

Maths: As Maths is my best subject, I'm going to provide you some tips on it, I got a 6 in it for mocks (few marks off a 7). (Just be aware, I got a 4 in Maths in my Year 10 mocks). Well, how I am revising for Maths is using websites like Mathsgenie, Corrbettmaths, Hegartymaths, and OnMaths. They're really useful for exam questions/past papers/videos. I've heard that there was this one person who went from a 4 to a 9, just by doing every topic on Mathsgenie & Onmaths (at least twice). Also, when you do a past paper, identify where you are losing marks, eg. if you lost marks on Surds, then use videos on how to do Surds etc. I'm aiming for an 8 or 9 in Maths, btw. [You are most likely going to get at least a 7 if you do use these websites effectively)

I hope you do well in your GCSEs, buddy
WHEYY A FELLOW #GCSE2020 STUDENTT
Wow - thank you so much for all the advice (and well done w your mocks!) This is so reassuring and I am SURE you will get your 8 in maths. Mr Hegarty is an absolute legend and I will definitely try out those other websites.
Good Luck with your GCSE's! You've got thiss )))
OkDan_
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 minutes ago
WHEYY A FELLOW #GCSE2020 STUDENTT
Wow - thank you so much for all the advice (and well done w your mocks!) This is so reassuring and I am SURE you will get your 8 in maths. Mr Hegarty is an absolute legend and I will definitely try out those other websites.
Good Luck with your GCSE's! You've got thiss )))
Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

- Have you considered distance learning for any of your qualifications?

Yes! I'm on a distance learning course right now (2)
40%
Yes, I've thought about it but haven't signed up yet (0)
0%
No, but maybe I will look into it (2)
40%
No and I wouldn't consider it (1)
20%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed