babushkac4
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
So i'm applying to biomed degree, however i dont have any work experience to talk about, will this put me at a disdadvantage for getting offers ?
Beacuse I know that for majority of people who apply to biomed have some sort of scietific work experience whether that be shadowing a doctor, or working at an old peoples care home etc
chloebird
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
It’s always better to have experience but they understand that actual laboratory experience is hard to get. Fake it till you make it girl! Ever helped your dad sort out a filing cabinet at his office? Well then, ‘your experience with admin work has developed your organisational and analytical skills.’ You can’t straight up lie and you’ll have to sort of skate around what you meant in interviews but it’s MUCH better to look like you’ve done something than to just talk about your passion. I’ve never even had a job and yet I came up with some random **** to jot down. If worst comes to worst, you can always say how you’ve benefited from driving lessons or writing songs in your spare time or something. Just relate everything back to skills and try to make it look like you don’t just study and watch YouTube videos all day!
babushkac4
Rep:
?
(Original post by chloebird)
It’s always better to have experience but they understand that actual laboratory experience is hard to get. Fake it till you make it girl! Ever helped your dad sort out a filing cabinet at his office? Well then, ‘your experience with admin work has developed your organisational and analytical skills.’ You can’t straight up lie and you’ll have to sort of skate around what you meant in interviews but it’s MUCH better to look like you’ve done something than to just talk about your passion. I’ve never even had a job and yet I came up with some random **** to jot down. If worst comes to worst, you can always say how you’ve benefited from driving lessons or writing songs in your spare time or something. Just relate everything back to skills and try to make it look like you don’t just study and watch YouTube videos all day!
well I did do volenteering at a charity shop, but how do i link that to biomed/ write about it
chloebird
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by babushkac4)
well I did do volenteering at a charity shop, but how do i link that to biomed/ write about it
Hmm, I would say that gave you experience working with a range of people-which will help you with patient contact if you go the NHS route or with teaching roles. You’ll probably end up teaching if you become an NHS scientist or a researcher and in pretty much any lab you might end up training new employees! You could also say it helped with your communication skills and confidence and gave you experience working in a team (and maybe as a leader?) Definitely put it in there-even if you just mention it in one sentence they’ll see volunteering as aligning with the values of healthcare scientists!
babushkac4
Rep:
?
(Original post by chloebird)
Hmm, I would say that gave you experience working with a range of people-which will help you with patient contact if you go the NHS route or with teaching roles. You’ll probably end up teaching if you become an NHS scientist or a researcher and in pretty much any lab you might end up training new employees! You could also say it helped with your communication skills and confidence and gave you experience working in a team (and maybe as a leader?) Definitely put it in there-even if you just mention it in one sentence they’ll see volunteering as aligning with the values of healthcare scientists!
honeslty , thank you so much <3
im really struggling to write this ps, but this really helps so i can write down something so thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

14.24%
12.4%
12.28%
18.03%
23.19%
19.86%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed