Hiro2468
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I'm a term behind and haven't even started, I just thought of a title and that's it. I'm getting so stressed over it since we have to finish it by April. I don't trust myself to be organised enough to do it but at the same time I'm only doing it because I'm not confident in my maths grades so if a uni can lower their requirements if I do EPQ I'll be happy.

I'm getting too stressed over it and I'm already stressing about other things too.
XKangaotiCX
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Hiro2468)
I'm a term behind and haven't even started, I just thought of a title and that's it. I'm getting so stressed over it since we have to finish it by April. I don't trust myself to be organised enough to do it but at the same time I'm only doing it because I'm not confident in my maths grades so if a uni can lower their requirements if I do EPQ I'll be happy.

I'm getting too stressed over it and I'm already stressing about other things too.
Honestly, I don't think it's worth it considering your circumstances.. if you want to improve your chances of getting into the uni you want, as annoyingly tiresome as it is, you've got to focus on how to improve your maths grades instead of shifting your focus to epq. In order for epq to make a significant difference, it has to be an A grade usually, so if you don't believe you have the time to get that sort of grade, I'd leave it and put all your efforts on maths. Best of luck!
Hiro2468
Rep:
?
(Original post by XKangaotiCX)
Honestly, I don't think it's worth it considering your circumstances.. if you want to improve your chances of getting into the uni you want, as annoyingly tiresome as it is, you've got to focus on how to improve your maths grades instead of shifting your focus to epq. In order for epq to make a significant difference, it has to be an A grade usually, so if you don't believe you have the time to get that sort of grade, I'd leave it and put all your efforts on maths. Best of luck!
Thanks! I'm in year 12 btw and was wondering if our mock grades are important for uni applications?

If yes then I might truly drop it to focus on maths. The problem is that I'm really indecisive, but I'm thinking of having one day where I just do most of the EPQ in one sitting?
XKangaotiCX
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thanks! I'm in year 12 btw and was wondering if our mock grades are important for uni applications?

If yes then I might truly drop it to focus on maths. The problem is that I'm really indecisive, but I'm thinking of having one day where I just do most of the EPQ in one sitting?
Just to clarify, I'm in year 12 too, I just know this info from my sister lmao
Mock grades are important for uni applications if your school work out predicted grades with mocks... Those predicted grades will be looked at by universities as part of the admissions process to help them understand the students' potential. However each school is different, so this may not necessarily be the case for you. It's still pretty important though, the teachers will have a grasp of how well you're doing at the moment.
Also, it's a really bad idea to do EPQ in one sitting since you have to have the log thing where you record each time you make a change in your EPQ... it would be a complete waste of god knows how many hours, I wouldn't bother. If you still want to do EPQ, assess how long you have to do it and the time you can spend on maths. Maybe make a timetable. Either way, hope it works out mate.
greyplumage
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

im in year 13 and I did an EPQ last year. Ill honestly say it was super worth it here's why:
- i take English, History and psychology alevel. I'm currently doing my history AND english coursework and the process is really similar to that of the EPQ so it was worth getting used to it
- I was doing relatively well in school so I knew I had some time to spare to do an EPQ
- my EPQ gave me a LOT to talk about in my personal statement and uni interview. (this is even betterfor maths/sciences students who were struggling to find stuff to talk about)
- it really helped with offers and overall exam stress. 2/5 of my offers have offered me 2 grades below their standard offer because of my A in the EPQ (e.g my offer for Exeter is AAA but I can get in with an ABB). really is a relief knowing that I can screw up a bit in the exam and still get into a decent uni.

in my opinion, it really depends on you. if you're taking coursework subjects its really worth it. but even if you're not, there's literally no loss (i feel) to do a project on something that you're interested in - it'll give u lots to talk about in your personal statement which really helps I promise.

we found that mocks were more important for science/maths students, because we (humanities) have things like coursework that weigh in quite heavily into our final grade. they DO affect predicted grades, but only to a large extent if you do significantly better (or worse) than expected. if you think hyou should focus on your maths, then definitely do that. but in the long run, I think an EPQ is worth it (given that you do well!!)

I got an a* in the end so I can send you my timetable and log if you like! PM me and ill share them with you good luck X
Hiro2468
Rep:
?
(Original post by XKangaotiCX)
Just to clarify, I'm in year 12 too, I just know this info from my sister lmao
Mock grades are important for uni applications if your school work out predicted grades with mocks... Those predicted grades will be looked at by universities as part of the admissions process to help them understand the students' potential. However each school is different, so this may not necessarily be the case for you. It's still pretty important though, the teachers will have a grasp of how well you're doing at the moment.
Also, it's a really bad idea to do EPQ in one sitting since you have to have the log thing where you record each time you make a change in your EPQ... it would be a complete waste of god knows how many hours, I wouldn't bother. If you still want to do EPQ, assess how long you have to do it and the time you can spend on maths. Maybe make a timetable. Either way, hope it works out mate.
Thanks! I've decided not to drop it but I'm not an organised person so I'll have to think of someway to organise how I'm going to pull it off.
Hiro2468
Rep:
?
(Original post by greyplumage)
im in year 13 and I did an EPQ last year. Ill honestly say it was super worth it here's why:
- i take English, History and psychology alevel. I'm currently doing my history AND english coursework and the process is really similar to that of the EPQ so it was worth getting used to it
- I was doing relatively well in school so I knew I had some time to spare to do an EPQ
- my EPQ gave me a LOT to talk about in my personal statement and uni interview. (this is even betterfor maths/sciences students who were struggling to find stuff to talk about)
- it really helped with offers and overall exam stress. 2/5 of my offers have offered me 2 grades below their standard offer because of my A in the EPQ (e.g my offer for Exeter is AAA but I can get in with an ABB). really is a relief knowing that I can screw up a bit in the exam and still get into a decent uni.

in my opinion, it really depends on you. if you're taking coursework subjects its really worth it. but even if you're not, there's literally no loss (i feel) to do a project on something that you're interested in - it'll give u lots to talk about in your personal statement which really helps I promise.

we found that mocks were more important for science/maths students, because we (humanities) have things like coursework that weigh in quite heavily into our final grade. they DO affect predicted grades, but only to a large extent if you do significantly better (or worse) than expected. if you think hyou should focus on your maths, then definitely do that. but in the long run, I think an EPQ is worth it (given that you do well!!)

I got an a* in the end so I can send you my timetable and log if you like! PM me and ill share them with you good luck X
Honestly thank you! My problem is that I'm not currently doing well in 2 of my subjects and worried I'd waste my time of an EPQ.

Silly question but since it helps with what to say on my personal statement, does my EPQ have to do with what I'm planning to do in Uni? Because I'm not sure on what exactly I'll be doing in Uni yet.

Is it still possible to get an a/a* when I've started this late and only have until early April to do and finish it?
XKangaotiCX
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thanks! I've decided not to drop it but I'm not an organised person so I'll have to think of someway to organise how I'm going to pull it off.
I like that determinism, good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (100)
49.02%
No (104)
50.98%

Watched Threads