Where is currently the best place to study Music Composition? Watch

20PeterBread01
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
By where Is, I mean not the prestige of the place, but the actual composition professors.
Some details:
Classical Music (don't really care about jazz and pop, so musically diverse is not my thing)
Undergraduate 2020
PTMalewski
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The place where they don't do sonorism, or dodecaphonal or atonal music.
20PeterBread01
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by PTMalewski)
The place where they don't do sonorism, or dodecaphonal or atonal music.
For example?
PTMalewski
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by 20PeterBread01)
For example?
I don't know. Check their programmes perhaps

All I know is that in many places around the world they waste time on teaching those paramusical or amusical monstrocities, while they could have been working on mastering student's skills in tonal compositions, like all forms, counterpoint and so on, and support his searchings on what does interest him, and how to make it better. There's a lot of things you could do with dur-moll and other tonal systems, and experiment with classical forms, tunings and instruments (using them as they were intended to), but in the recent decades, many composers and students seem to be more interested in scrathing paint on wood to torture the audience, screaming, humming, turning on and off AGD hardware and nonsensically dropping single tones around their 'compositions'.

I know a guy who could make very nice, small form classical pieces when he was at high school, then he went to music academy to study composition, and they taught him to make some disgusting noises with vacuum cleaner, scratch violins, and make messy atonal pieces that don't tell any story different from other atonal pieces.
Last edited by PTMalewski; 6 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (130)
27.9%
1 (69)
14.81%
2 (72)
15.45%
3 (74)
15.88%
4 (37)
7.94%
5 (30)
6.44%
6 (17)
3.65%
7+ (37)
7.94%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise