Referencing books not on the reading list? Watch

pancakie
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I’ve got my first uni essay due on Friday and it’s going okay, there’s just a few things I’m unsure about because I’ve not been told much.
I’ve referenced a few books/articles in my essay that aren’t on the reading list (but they’re quotes I’m familiar with), will this matter? It’s been quite difficult to cite quotes from the reading list because our lecturer told us we didn’t need to do the readings but now we have a different lecturer and he said we should have been doing, however it’s a bit late for that now.
If it matters I’ll of course go back through my references and figure something out but I just wanted to know before I submit it.
Thanks
Last edited by pancakie; 1 week ago
WildLuxray99
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by pancakie)
I’ve got my first uni essay due on Friday and it’s going okay, there’s just a few things I’m unsure about because I’ve not been told much.
I’ve referenced a few books/articles in my essay that aren’t on the reading list (but they’re quotes I’m familiar with), will this matter? It’s been quite difficult to cite quotes from the reading list because our lecturer told us we didn’t need to do the readings but now we have a different lecturer and he said we should have been doing, however it’s a bit late for that now.
If it matters I’ll of course go back through my references and figure something out but I just wanted to know before I submit it.
Thanks
I don't think it will matter, usually they encourage you to do further research and find your own info sources so its probably better you looked for new stuff as well. Hope your essay goes well
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Going beyond the prescribed reading is usually a good thing, at least assuming what you're referencing is relevant to the essay question at hand and your particular argument in question.
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by pancakie)
Thanks
I would say wider reading & citations outside of the reading list would be expected.

I dont know how demanding the list is and how much it covers, but I would expect you'll want to go do your own research & cite many things that wont be given to you via lectures, reading list, or other material throughout your degree.

Without the coursework brief, Its hard to say what the expectation is but I would think this will not only be ok, but expected to read outside the listed material.
pancakie
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Thanks for all your responses really helpful!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (120)
28.57%
1 (65)
15.48%
2 (64)
15.24%
3 (68)
16.19%
4 (30)
7.14%
5 (27)
6.43%
6 (13)
3.1%
7+ (33)
7.86%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise