Transferring University, What is the process and what should I expect? Watch

aag1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Currently at the University of Manchester and I am considering a switch to another university. I do Politics and IR and got ABB in my a levels. I'm currently averaging a first and that is how i intend to finish the year (if that gives me any preferences among institutions).

Just wondering which institutions may be a viable alternative (on or similar to the level of Manchester), I had places like Exeter, York, Bath and Birmingham in mind.

Also what to expect whether I join from the 1st of 2nd year feels quite weird as well.

Some of the big things on my mind:

1st year - Losing an extra year of time essentially restarting uni (planning on year abroad and a masters too), also the student loan seems like it would be huge (not really sure how much you pay back in instalments though, I heard the instalments are pretty small).

2nd year - Seems like it would seem pretty weird and maybe you would feel like a bit of an outsider being in halls as a 2nd year, doing your lectures and stuff with people who already have their established friendship groups and all that. Socially maybe a bit awkward? How would it differ from moving into halls on first year?

Also, whats the application process like? Can i find places on a similar level to Manchester? And if let's say I applied but wanted to stay in Manchester, could I do that? The thought of committing myself to something at this stage is pretty daunting lol

Thanks
Last edited by aag1; 5 days ago
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
If you want to apply for first year then you’ll need to submit your ucas application by 6pm today to have equal consideration. There’s a good chance universities will still accept applications after that time but if you’re able to meet the deadline you’ll maximise your chances.

For second year entry the deadline is less important. And many universities will consider you for first year entry if they’re unable to make you an offer for second year.

Have a read of https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=1781424 for more information.

Unless you’re expecting to earn £40k or more immediately on graduation then you’re unlikely to repay 3 years of loans - which means increasing your loan to cover 4 years will not impact the amount you repay.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How are your mock exams going?

Love them - Feeling positive (5)
12.82%
They've been reasonable (15)
38.46%
Not feeling great... (10)
25.64%
They are TERRIBLE! (9)