The Student Room Group

Bad first masters, doing second one - okay to not mention the first at PhD?

Hi, I've done a masters in 2010 from the UK and the result was really not worth mentioning, just a pass (53%, dissertation 63%). I've got another funded opportunity for a two-year MA which I'm currently pursuing, and I have plans to apply for a PhD in UK universities after completion.

Would it be wise to avoid mentioning my first MA? the grades are so bad, with one module I had to retake to pass, also includes a condone (this was an unfortunate experience, I won't go in detail). I have a 1:1 bachelors/honours from outside the UK and IELTS 8.0, that too taken in 2009 - just to indicate that my first masters doesn't reflect my academic career. I have 7-8 years of relevant professional experience.

Grateful if someone please enlighten.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by nomadis

They will ask for all previous degree level qualifications on the application forms for any PhD, you don't have a choice but to tell them. But if you've got 7 years professional experience why are you worried?
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
They will ask for all previous degree level qualifications on the application forms for any PhD, you don't have a choice but to tell them. But if you've got 7 years professional experience why are you worried?

Hey thanks @threeportdrift for your reply, what worries me is my awful grades, it's more of a disqualification because nothing else in my career reflects what that transcript says.
Original post by nomadis
Hey thanks @threeportdrift for your reply, what worries me is my awful grades, it's more of a disqualification because nothing else in my career reflects what that transcript says.

They don't work on disqualifications like that, they look at the whole application. But the point is, you have to mention it, so you need to look at how you pitch the positives, not how you hide the negatives.
You have to mention all qualifications and degrees you’ve done; you can’t ignore what you aren’t happy with and it can result in your offer being withdrawn if you don’t state all qualifications.
Reply 5
@threeportdrift @ella1902 clear, i see your points, thank you. I mentioned it while applying to the current degree I'm studying and it worked out with full funding. Nevertheless, the strict 'high merit' or similar conditions for PhD freak me out a bit. I'll try to get the best out of the one I'm doing so that the previous one is overshadowed.

Cheers!

Quick Reply

Latest