Should I wait till the end of the year to drop out of uni? Watch

brsa_301
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
I've already decided to change my course and uni next year because my current course isn't the one for me, a lot of people have said wait till the end of the year and I could get a certificate of height education and it would show my commitment. But if I already have a space at another uni surely it doesnt matter that I show my commitment anymore because they aren't going to change their offer because I wasnt committed to finishing this year?
And also how useful is a certificate of higher education, will it really make a difference? My new course is completely different so it's not like staying here will help?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
- do you think you’ll pass the year?
- does your course provide a CertHE early exit award?
- do you have anything better to do?
- can you afford to repay most of your latest maintenance loan instalment this year? And do without your final instalment?
brsa_301
Rep:
?
I would probably pass it I just cant imagine staying that long until the end (i literally count down thendays till the next time I go home) and then having to revise stuff I really dont like.
Yeah I would get the award but how much does that actually mean would it be worth getting?
If I did drop out I would just work and get some work experience and do all the thing at home I wish i was doing at home when I'm here at uni.
I would manage with out my final installment and would get a refund for my accomodation so could probably pay back this maintenance loan but I would have to work it out properly.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by brsa_301)
I would probably pass it I just cant imagine staying that long until the end (i literally count down thendays till the next time I go home) and then having to revise stuff I really dont like.
Yeah I would get the award but how much does that actually mean would it be worth getting?
If I did drop out I would just work and get some work experience and do all the thing at home I wish i was doing at home when I'm here at uni.
I would manage with out my final installment and would get a refund for my accomodation so could probably pay back this maintenance loan but I would have to work it out properly.
Have a think and work out the details of the money thing.
The benefit of passing the year/getting the qualification is that your CV wont have a gap in it. If you haven't got a job lined up then there's a risk that you'll end up with your CV looking like you just sat on the sofa for 9 months.

It's your choice - a CertHE is just a pass/fail award - your individual marks wont be shown so you only need to get a pass (which means it might be possible to slack off a bit and spend more time at home and still pass the year). Only you can make the decision about whether the costs outweigh the benefits of staying.
brsa_301
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Have a think and work out the details of the money thing.
The benefit of passing the year/getting the qualification is that your CV wont have a gap in it. If you haven't got a job lined up then there's a risk that you'll end up with your CV looking like you just sat on the sofa for 9 months.

It's your choice - a CertHE is just a pass/fail award - your individual marks wont be shown so you only need to get a pass (which means it might be possible to slack off a bit and spend more time at home and still pass the year). Only you can make the decision about whether the costs outweigh the benefits of staying.
I worked out the money situation and could pay it all back. I just dont really know how much the certificate means? I had never heard of it till now, but would employers not just think of the 9 months like a gap year, if I did work experience or stuff? Or do you think they'd question my commitment if they saw I just randomly stopped half way through the year?

Do employers actually know what the certificate means?
MiaNova
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I was in the same situation as you. I chose to leave. I'm now on a "gap year", starting new course in Sept 2020.
I didn't want to have to cont to pay the university for a course I didn't like / want a career in.
I'm now self - teaching, working part time and happy I took the decision to leave.

Good luck!
brsa_301
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
(Original post by MiaNova)
I was in the same situation as you. I chose to leave. I'm now on a "gap year", starting new course in Sept 2020.
I didn't want to have to cont to pay the university for a course I didn't like / want a career in.
I'm now self - teaching, working part time and happy I took the decision to leave.

Good luck!
Ah that's really helpful! When did you decide to drop out?
MiaNova
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Ah that's really helpful! When did you decide to drop out?
After one term of being there
brsa_301
Rep:
?
After one term of being there
Ah right so literally the same! Did you have a space at your new uni before you left the other one? If you dont mind me asking, what were you studying?
MiaNova
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Ah right so literally the same! Did you have a space at your new uni before you left the other one? If you dont mind me asking, what were you studying?
I don't mind, I was studying Psych. I'm just transferring courses not uni's
Anonymous #1
Report 2 days ago
I don't mind, I was studying Psych. I'm just transferring courses not uni's
Have u already applied for your other uni choice? If its at the same uni do u not have to go through the ucas process?
Seris
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Hmm, last I checked. it's better to drop out at the end of the year but you can do it earlier and have to fill in a new UCAS form.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by Seris)
Hmm, last I checked. it's better to drop out at the end of the year but you can do it earlier and have to fill in a new UCAS form.
No matter when you drop out you have to apply through ucas if you want to go to a new university (and in some cases to stay at the same university)
brsa_301
Rep:
?
(Original post by Seris)
Yeah I would have to fill out a new ucas because it's a completely different course and uni, that's why I'm wondering whether it's worth staying because it's not like this course is even relevant anymore so I'm not going to get anything out of it? And I literally count down the days until I next go home which isn't for two weeks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (83)
13.79%
1 (81)
13.46%
2 (78)
12.96%
19.77%
21.43%
18.6%

Watched Threads