Guys: how many calories do you eat in a day Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
I'm currently underweight rn and I'm so low on energy all the time, but I feel like I eat quite a lot. Just wondering how much others eat for comparison, it would be helpful if you also give your age/height/weight too thanks in advance !
SanityGone
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I’m about 5’ 6” and 55kg, I eat about 2000 calories a day and stay stable. I walk a lot. If I got out or whatever I don’t really think about calories, that’s just a rough guess
Jiejiiii
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Hi, it depends on your body. I’m 19, male, moderately active, so my recommended caloric intake is around 2800Kcal, and I eat pretty much around that quantity (I skip bf, eat a big lunch, eat something in the afternoon, and a normal dinner; sometimes a big dn and a normal lunch); for a female, I’d say no higher than 2400 Kcal. If you feel exhausted all the time, it might be that you’re not eating right, if you eat a Kg of salad, of course you’ll still feel tired, though you’ve eaten a lot; perhaps you have some kind of food intolerance?

I recommend
Greywolftwo
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm currently underweight rn and I'm so low on energy all the time, but I feel like I eat quite a lot. Just wondering how much others eat for comparison, it would be helpful if you also give your age/height/weight too thanks in advance !
I know I eat below the recommended daily intake whilst also exercising a lot. I’m 5’9 and weigh 76kg
Last edited by Greywolftwo; 4 days ago
Joe Frazier
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I think I’m underweight too and I eat about 1900 a day. I’m 9 stone 5 and 5’11
anonymoosev2
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Joe Frazier)
I think I’m underweight too and I eat about 1900 a day. I’m 9 stone 5 and 5’11
If your fat percentage is low, that's not an issue since that weight will be primarily lean body mass. If you have a average to high fat percentage, you should be concerned.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
(Original post by Jiejiiii)
Hi, it depends on your body. I’m 19, male, moderately active, so my recommended caloric intake is around 2800Kcal, and I eat pretty much around that quantity (I skip bf, eat a big lunch, eat something in the afternoon, and a normal dinner; sometimes a big dn and a normal lunch); for a female, I’d say no higher than 2400 Kcal. If you feel exhausted all the time, it might be that you’re not eating right, if you eat a Kg of salad, of course you’ll still feel tired, though you’ve eaten a lot; perhaps you have some kind of food intolerance?

I recommend
thanks for the reply ! what would you class as a "big lunch", I usually eat three eggs on a slice of toast for breakfast then some yogurt or something for lunch, but I feel like that's quite a lot
SanityGone
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Have you had an iron test if you’re tired all the time? Low iron can do that. Green veg or red meat or a multivitamin with iron in might help. My boyf is veggie and sometimes gets a bit anaemic
Jiejiiii
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
thanks for the reply ! what would you class as a "big lunch", I usually eat three eggs on a slice of toast for breakfast then some yogurt or something for lunch, but I feel like that's quite a lot
I think that’s not enough even for a girl ahah; I think a normal or big lunch should be at least, to put in perspective, 80-100g of pasta with salads, and maybe some proteins. Recommended lunch caloric intake should be around 40% of your total caloric need, while dinner 30%, bf 25% and snacks 5%.

Try to consume varied foods, especially vegetables which have vitamins, fibre, that are fundamental for the good maintenance of a body.
Babs003
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I don’t think it’s a problem that you’re underweight. Just make sure you’re eating something for breakfast, lunch and dinner that’s hot and/or healthy. Don’t grab crisps or a breakfast bar- that’ll just make you full. Plus, you can’t live on that forever. Otherwise you’ll probs get a vitamin deficiency, ie. Vitamin K.

Have you tried warming porridge with banana slices in the microwave. It’s penguin man. PENGUIN man says it’s PENG 👍
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
(Original post by Babs003)
I don’t think it’s a problem that you’re underweight. Just make sure you’re eating something for breakfast, lunch and dinner that’s hot and/or healthy. Don’t grab crisps or a breakfast bar- that’ll just make you full. Plus, you can’t live on that forever. Otherwise you’ll probs get a vitamin deficiency, ie. Vitamin K.

Have you tried warming porridge with banana slices in the microwave. It’s penguin man. PENGUIN man says it’s PENG 👍
thanks for the response man ! but idk, to me porridge seems like a lot of carbs without much protein for a main meal. How do you make your porridge btw, like what quantity of oats do you use ect?
Sharmarko
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
thanks for the response man ! but idk, to me porridge seems like a lot of carbs without much protein for a main meal. How do you make your porridge btw, like what quantity of oats do you use ect?
I'm 5'11, 17 years old male. Not too long ago I was 50kg. Right now I'm 55kg and gaining. I was definitely too skinny and I think a lot of skinny guys believe they eat a lot when they definitely don't.

Eating properly will 100% give you more energy. I remember for awhile my squat weight was stuck, but then for a week I upped my calorie intake and I improved my squat by 20kg by the end of the next week! 20kg is a huge jump, I was clearly eating too little back then.

3 eggs on some toast and some yoghurt being your breakfast and lunch worries me. That's like a snack. Have you tried calculating your calories?

Breakfast, I wake up 6:30 to go to the gym so I drink a smoothie I prepared the night before - 1 banana, 250ml of milk, 1.5 scoops of whey, 50g of peanut butter. Comes to 530kcal.

At school, normally I eat pasta. Another 500kcal. I have snacks as well, like bars or crisps, but that varies so I don't usually include it when counting calories.

After sixth form, I eat again when I get home. Somedays I feel like potatoes, other days I feel like noodles or more pasta. I decide what I feel like having, but I've already calculated out the proportions I need if I start cooking - e.g, maybe today I'll make egg fried noodles once I get home. I know I'll need 3 eggs, a handful of veg and 3 noodle portions (1 portion is supposed to be for 1 person, but what a lot of food companies do is they try and exaggerate how many portions their product contains. I find 1 portion is never enough, so I take 3). Comes out to a bit more than 500kcal (I have a food diary at home with exact values, not with me right now...) Noodles are not very calorie-dense, so I need a lot of them to make a proper meal.

Around 6 I eat again. Whatever my parents made.

Before bed at 11, I make my smoothie for the next day and eat something before sleeping. Usually, it's 135g of muesli.

I hate eating this much, but I have to do it to gain weight accordingly to allow muscle growth. My daily goal is 2800kcal, but some days I can get up to 3200kcal if my family decides to get takeaway one day.
Last edited by Sharmarko; 1 day ago
Joe Frazier
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by Sharmarko)
I'm 5'11, 17 years old male. Not too long ago I was 50kg. Right now I'm 55kg and gaining. I was definitely too skinny and I think a lot of skinny guys believe they eat a lot when they definitely don't.

Eating properly will 100% give you more energy. I remember for awhile my squat weight was stuck, but then for a week I upped my calorie intake and I improved my squat by 20kg by the end of the next week! 20kg is a huge jump, I was clearly eating too little back then.

3 eggs on some toast and some yoghurt being your breakfast and lunch worries me. That's like a snack. Have you tried calculating your calories?

Breakfast, I wake up 6:30 to go to the gym so I drink a smoothie I prepared the night before - 1 banana, 250ml of milk, 1.5 scoops of whey, 50g of peanut butter. Comes to 530kcal.

At school, normally I eat pasta. Another 500kcal. I have snacks as well, like bars or crisps, but that varies so I don't usually include it when counting calories.

After sixth form, I eat again when I get home. Somedays I feel like potatoes, other days I feel like noodles or more pasta. I decide what I feel like having, but I've already calculated out the proportions I need if I start cooking - e.g, maybe today I'll make egg fried noodles once I get home. I know I'll need 3 eggs, a handful of veg and 3 noodle portions (1 portion is supposed to be for 1 person, but what a lot of food companies do is they try and exaggerate how many portions their product contains. I find 1 portion is never enough, so I take 3). Comes out to a bit more than 500kcal (I have a food diary at home with exact values, not with me right now...) Noodles are not very calorie-dense, so I need a lot of them to make a proper meal.

Around 6 I eat again. Whatever my parents made.

Before bed at 11, I make my smoothie for the next day and eat something before sleeping. Usually, it's 135g of muesli.

I hate eating this much, but I have to do it to gain weight accordingly to allow muscle growth. My daily goal is 2800kcal, but some days I can get up to 3200kcal if my family decides to get takeaway one day.
Wow. I'm same height and similar weight to you and for me to eat that much it would be really difficult. I could probably do it for a couple of days but I think it would be really hard to keep it up. Well done
black tea
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
2000 calories doesn't seem like a lot for a guy. I'm a fairly small female (5'5) and I need around 2000 to maintain my weight.
Sammylou40
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
You must be fairly active.
I’m sedentary due to ill health.
At 5’7” and 9st12 I can only have 1450 before I would gain
Zed03
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
I'm a 5'8 16 year old and I weigh around 58kg I eat about 2800 calories because I weight lift at the gym and need to increase my weight
Babs003
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 hours ago
I use Quaker Oats Big Bowl Sachets 38.5g with a whole banana for breakfast If I don't have time, I usually warm up 1.5 Weetabix"es" with milk, down it and eat the banana on the walk to school.

For me, if I didn't eat porridge during the day, I'll eat it as a snack 2 1/2 hours after eating dinner~11pm. If I didn't weetabix during the day, I'll eat it as a snack at ~11pm.

I think it's very important to eat well but, sometimes, it can seem like one is gaining weight despite eating healthily. The key thing that conquered this issue for me was making sure I was eating hot/warm food if you're not planning on exercising.
So, I'm a sixth form student and we have access to a kettle, microwave etc so I'm always eating warm food (or drinking warm water/tea lol). I'm a cool guy unno. I don't plan on exercising, ie. weights, treadmill. But, obvs, when I go to Uni, I'm gonna have to find another way of moving my body more (since I wouldn't be walking 25 minutes back and forth from school)

How about warming some Green Giant? Or chickpeas for protein? Mushroom omelette sounds like a cool afternoon snack.
Anonymous #2
Report 16 hours ago
(Original post by Babs003)
If you're low on energy and eating well, you should also try some Tesco Vitamin C effervescence tablets that dissolve in a glass of water. Or, even if you've already had your daily shower, just take a random run back to the shower and rinse yourself off for 20 seconds everytime you feel low on energy and I'm sure you'll feel back to your energetic self!
This isn't really great advice for someone who is underweight - i.e. not eating enough.
Retired_Messiah
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 16 hours ago
Usual sorta maintenance rate is 2000-2500. If you're going under 2k then you're likely to lose weight unless you're particularly small
Oats are a wholegrain so it's pretty damn good for you, that's the sorta thing that's gonna keep you having energy for a good while.
Toscana
Rep:
?
Report 16 hours ago
im on 1900 calories a day since im cutting.

im 77kg and 5'8
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (91)
13.04%
1 (89)
12.75%
2 (89)
12.75%
19.05%
22.64%
19.77%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise