Nwxr
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
My sixth form still hasn't been able to provide me with a reference so should I just submit my application now without one?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Nwxr)
My sixth form still hasn't been able to provide me with a reference so should I just submit my application now without one?
If your application is sat waiting for your sixth form to add a reference then you can't now submit it without asking un-sending it. If you've applied with a buzzword then that might not be possible without ringing UCAS. If you applied as an individual then you can just tick the "applying without a reference" box.

You MUST ring your universities today to make sure that they'll accept an application with no UCAS reference and with a reference provided later.
Nwxr
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
If your application is sat waiting for your sixth form to add a reference then you can't now submit it without asking un-sending it. If you've applied with a buzzword then that might not be possible without ringing UCAS. If you applied as an individual then you can just tick the "applying without a reference" box.

You MUST ring your universities today to make sure that they'll accept an application with no UCAS reference and with a reference provided later.
My chosen universities have allowed me to provide them with a reference later on. Does this mean that I will receive no conditional or unconditional offer before I provide my reference?
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Nwxr)
My chosen universities have allowed me to provide them with a reference later on. Does this mean that I will receive no conditional or unconditional offer before I provide my reference?
Probably not - if they're allowing you to provide a reference directly then that's something they'll usually need to receive before making any offers.
Nwxr
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Probably not - if they're allowing you to provide a reference directly then that's something they'll usually need to receive before making any offers.
So how will I go about providing them a reference while I've not been able to get one up to now from my sixth form?
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Nwxr)
So how will I go about providing them a reference while I've not been able to get one up to now from my sixth form?
You're going to have to SPEAK to your sixth form and get them to agree to provide a reference directly to 5 universities. Applying without a UCAS reference doesn't remove the requirement for a reference.
Nwxr
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
You're going to have to SPEAK to your sixth form and get them to agree to provide a reference directly to 5 universities. Applying without a UCAS reference doesn't remove the requirement for a reference.
Sigh. My sixth form is so useless, man. I've been trying to sort out a reference from them since October. The person who was my tutor there is no longer a tutor so isn't doing references so I don't know who to get one from.
Admit-One
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Nwxr)
Sigh. My sixth form is so useless, man. I've been trying to sort out a reference from them since October. The person who was my tutor there is no longer a tutor so isn't doing references so I don't know who to get one from.
Head of year or subject teacher?
Nwxr
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by Admit-One)
Head of year or subject teacher?
The sixth form has a different head since I was there. I really thought they could just copy the reference they made for me in the past but I guess not.
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Nwxr)
The sixth form has a different head since I was there. I really thought they could just copy the reference they made for me in the past but I guess not.
Either your current tutor or year head should still be able to collate comments from your subject teachers, it doesn't really matter if they don't know you very well.

Even if there's been a change in staff they should still have a process for providing you all with references.
Nwxr
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Either your current tutor or year head should still be able to collate comments from your subject teachers, it doesn't really matter if they don't know you very well.

Even if there's been a change in staff they should still have a process for providing you all with references.
So who do I contact? I don't have a tutor... I'm on a gap year with my a levels done which is why I'm hoping for an unconditional offer.
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Start with either your former year head or your most recent personal tutor. Failing that you can always go to the most relevant subject teacher.

If you are struggling to get any of their contact details just call reception at your previous school and advise them of your circumstances.
Nwxr
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Start with either your former year head or your most recent personal tutor. Failing that you can always go to the most relevant subject teacher.

If you are struggling to get any of their contact details just call reception at your previous school and advise them of your circumstances.
Would I be able to get a reference from my secondary school? I'm 19. 😂
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
At 19 it would still usually need to be from your most recent place of study.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (120)
28.57%
1 (65)
15.48%
2 (64)
15.24%
3 (68)
16.19%
4 (30)
7.14%
5 (27)
6.43%