would you say Lancaster University is on par with Russel Group universities? Watch

pointofcontact
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
would you say Lancaster University is on par with Russel Group universities?
swanseajack1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by pointofcontact)
Yes it is. Lancaster used to be in the 1994 group with Durham, York, Exeter and Queen Mary before they left to join RG. Bath and St Andrews amongst others didnt join either and they are all of similar standard.
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
yes, it's genuinely an excellent university... but they give Unconditional offers to everyone so long as they have a pulse.
pointofcontact
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
yes, it's genuinely an excellent university... but they give Unconditional offers to everyone so long as they have a pulse.
(Original post by swanseajack1)
Yes it is. Lancaster used to be in the 1994 group with Durham, York, Exeter and Queen Mary before they left to join RG. Bath and St Andrews amongst others didnt join either and they are all of similar standard.
why do they give so many offers & unconditionals? something like 90% of applicants get offers which is why i’m wondering if it’s as good as other RGs
swanseajack1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
why do they give so many offers & unconditionals? something like 90% of applicants get offers which is why i’m wondering if it’s as good as other RGs
That probably isnt that different to most universities. It isnt a university that is gets loads of private students there so doesnt make offers at A* level. It is also in a rural environment and not near to where the bulk of the population. Most of the RG universities tend to be in bigger cities and tend to be older city universities and location is certainly a drawback with it being so Northern. If you look most of the RG universities are quite Southern Bristol, Exeter, Cardiff, Southampton, Imperial, UCL, LSE, UCL, Kings, Queen Mary, Oxford, Cambridge are all close to the wealthier areas of the UK
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Hello,
let me know if you have any questions about Lancaster that I can help you with.
I think there's a few things worth noting to help you to decide. Lancaster is awarded TEF (teaching excellence framework) gold for teaching and we're proud of our research led teaching - not all RG unis have this ranking e.g. Bristol for example.
I think it's also worth looking at the prestige of the department you're looking at as well - as often this can be very independent of all other rankings.
We also have quite good student satisfaction ratings. This takes into accounts how students feel about their degree, the cost of living, the social life, their employability prospects etc etc.
A RG uni may be perfect for you and for your course, but I think the 'RG' status on its own will really tell you little about the university itself.
I hope this helps you some what.
Charlotte
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

14.1%
12.32%
12.44%
18.01%
23.34%
19.79%

Watched Threads