Offers from Russell Group unis but not sure if I want to go... Watch

Amethyst12
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
So basically I'm in a pretty good position - I've had 3 unconditional offers (Exeter, King's and Nottingham) and I'm waiting on a decision from the other two unis. I know the smart, sensible thing that I'm supposed to do would be to accept the unconditional offer, and go to a Russell Group uni because of the career prospects, reputation etc. but I don't know. I've applied for Liberal Arts and whilst I'm sure I'd enjoy the course, there's just this feeling that I have. Before applying I was interested in UEA, and their American Literature and Creative Writing course. And even just typing it out feels right. I never visited it but I liked the look of the town, the uni, everything about it. It was just a further than I'd planned on going which was the main issue really. My mum didn't want me to go there because of how far away it was. So I tried to forget about it, and apply to Russell Group unis closer to me. But now I've got the offers coming through and it's all becoming more real, and I just can't forget about it and I don't know what to do. I feel like I'm just wasting these offers if I don't accept one of them, but at the same time, I may regret not going to UEA...
Autissie
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
YOu need to sit down ans list the pro and cons of each. Then you will able to make your decision and avoid the hindsight scenario
emiloujess
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Amethyst12)
So basically I'm in a pretty good position - I've had 3 unconditional offers (Exeter, King's and Nottingham) and I'm waiting on a decision from the other two unis. I know the smart, sensible thing that I'm supposed to do would be to accept the unconditional offer, and go to a Russell Group uni because of the career prospects, reputation etc. but I don't know. I've applied for Liberal Arts and whilst I'm sure I'd enjoy the course, there's just this feeling that I have. Before applying I was interested in UEA, and their American Literature and Creative Writing course. And even just typing it out feels right. I never visited it but I liked the look of the town, the uni, everything about it. It was just a further than I'd planned on going which was the main issue really. My mum didn't want me to go there because of how far away it was. So I tried to forget about it, and apply to Russell Group unis closer to me. But now I've got the offers coming through and it's all becoming more real, and I just can't forget about it and I don't know what to do. I feel like I'm just wasting these offers if I don't accept one of them, but at the same time, I may regret not going to UEA...

I applied to Cardiff and Birmingham, and ended up going to Bournemouth. Never regretted it one bit. It’s not a waste, it’s realising where you want to go and where you’ll be happy. Trust me, 3 years doing a course you like in a place you love is far better than doing a course you like in a place you’ll end up resenting. It may be worth looking at UEA’s industry links and employment prospects.

Good luck! And you have months to decide so take your time, revisit them if you need to. I’m sure you’ll make the decision that’s right for you
swanseajack1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
You dont need to make a decision in which university to attend until May. In the meantime attend any visit days you are offered. You could also attend East Anglia to see if its for you. If it is and you decide the others arent then you can decline all your offers and apply through ucas extra for UEA. Have you checked whether any of your offer universities offer a similar course. If so you could contact them to see if you can swap your course. UEA is an excellent university and you wouldnt be disadvantaged by going there. The RG thing means nothing. It is just a marketing ploy. Until 2011 UEA was in the same 1994 group as Exeter and Durham.
nintysixthousand
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
do whats best for you, not what your mum wants to what you think your supposed to do. If UEA feels right then go there. Russel group doesnt mean much in the long run, if your willing to work hard for you grades and career thats all that really matters. My friend was one of 3 people in our year to get into oxbridge, so naturally everyone thought she would accept the offer because its oxbridge. But she had also been accepted into a degree aprenticeship with a good company which meant she would be getting a career and a degree, so she chose that. Do what feels right for you, not what you think others want because at the end of the day its your life, your decision.
VoteLabour
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Ultimately it's your choice and where you'll be happy, which seems like UEA. For context I got A*AA in my A levels so could have went to pretty much any Russell group but in the end I rejected all my Russell group offers and went to a non-RG
UEA Arts and Humanities Ambassadors
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Congratulations on all of your offers, that's a great position to be in!

I was in a pretty similar situation to this when I was making my university decisions at college, it definitely sounds like all your options are worth another look at to narrow down which course and campus is best!
One thing I would suggest is to definitely make sure your final choice is best suited to your happiness and education first and foremost, there are always opportunity to go and see family throughout your studies no matter where you are!
My mum was uncomfortable with me being so far away from home when I was picking my choices (I'm originally from Manchester, but the best courses happened to be in the south!) but we both knew that it was a step that had to be made in a new chapter! It took a while to get used to but luckily we were in the same position as you, knowing early in the year that I had a place and we were able to prepare and get excited in the run up to September.
I ended up going home usually twice a term to see her (you can buy a Railcard for £70 which offers 3 years of discounted train travel, and by booking in advance you can easily stop it breaking the bank!) and we find it more special to see eachother now than if I was closer to home! she also visits me here, which is a great opportunity to show her all the beautiful spots in the city!
If you feel UEA is a genuine contender in your options it may well be worth both of you coming for a visit to Norwich, it can really help ease the tension of the big move later on!
Best of Luck!

Jess
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How are your mock exams going?

Love them - Feeling positive (0)
0%
They've been reasonable (0)
0%
Not feeling great... (1)
100%
They are TERRIBLE! (0)