The Student Room Group

Scientific Publications by students

This thread is for students that are working on or have worked on scientific papers. Please feel free to share your experience for the benefit of others whom may wish to write a paper. The template below is optional:

Title: <Title of your paper>
Level of study: <e.g. AS Level>
Topic: <Category of paper e.g. clinical trial>
Synopsis: <Brief summary of paper>
Journal: <Journal X or in the process of publication>
Citation: <cite your paper or include a link>
Significance of paper: <What impact does your paper have in the real world>
Date: <start date> - <finish date>
Number of authors: <X>
Status of authors: Author 1/<student> Author 2/<professor> Author 3/<status>etc
How I got involved: <e.g. I am part of a research society in my school>
My role in the paper: <e.g. Conducted surveys and analysed/logged the data>
Any difficulties: <the challenges that you faced in conducting the research>
Any advice: <advice for people whom wish to undergo such a project>
Further notes: <anything you would like to add>
Reply 1
Title: Medical Research Productivity in Oman: a Bibliometric Analysis
Level of study: AS Level
Topic: Bibliometrics, Original Article, Retrospective study
Synopsis: A novel bibliometric analysis was conducted for the Sultanate of Oman. The study used the MEDLINE database to extract any publications originating from Oman by a free text search strategy using "Oman" in all search fields. No analytical statistics were used and the raw data were not filtered for false positives. The study found the national publication count to be low but the trend to be positive; the positive trend was attributed to the correlation of increased health related expenditure over the same period. After normalization, the data revealed that the global contribution of Oman to medical publications was also low but increasing.
Journal: In the process of publication
Citation: N/A
Significance of paper: Provides baseline data and benchmarks the countries position for decision makers to be appropriately informed regarding the medical research productivity in the country
Date: Dec 2018 - Apr 2019
Number of authors: 3
Status of authors: Author 1/<student (me)> Author 2/<professor and haematology doctor> Author 3/<paediatrician>
How I got involved: Contacted the professor directly through mutual contact as I heard he was planning a paper
My role in the paper: analysed the data, wrote the results, discussion and abstract section, searched for references
Any difficulties: It was difficult finding relevant references for some points but the other authors luckily had expertise in the field and could help. As this was conducted during my A Level studies, I had to appropriately manage my time to keep up with both A Levels and the research
Any advice: Make sure you have a clear understanding of the study throughout, don't be afraid to ask. Read other bibliometric analyses for other countries as the methods used are very similar as is the analysis structure. Most importantly, you must be motivated and ready to accept ideas that conflict with what you had in mind while still speaking up if you have a better idea
Further notes: As a prospective medical student, getting involved in advanced academia was definitely something I could boast about in my application and is something I would recommend for anyone who wants their application to stand out. Since medicine is so competitive, getting early research exposure is something that would definitely help by putting you ahead of others and preparing you for future research. Since I was just an A Level student, there were many things I was unfamiliar with such as the language used in scientific writing, talking to the other authors about what I was going to write and actively reading other scientific articles really helped in providing me with a clearer picture.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending