Elffaw89
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for people's experience studying through the open university. I'm 30 years old, work full time, and I am looking to complete my BA(hons) degree I started nearly 10 years ago. I have been accepted for a credit transfer, and I need only 120 credits to complete my degree. How feasible would this be to complete, in about two years, whilst working part time. A tutor I asked from the OU suggested that a 60 credit module would take a year to compete. Has anybody finished this sooner?

Any information would be great. How have people got on with a BA(Hons) Open degree? Does it hold similar clout to a subject specific degree?

Thanks in advance
butlere
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
HI I'm currently studying an Open degree (started Oct 19). Do you need to complete level 3 modules?
Ive continued to work full time and done a 60 unit course (level 1) and found it very easy to complete - as long as you are mindful of deadlines and dates for forums and online tutorials. Ive never had to decline / decrease social activities and just spent several hours on a Saturday or Sunday making significant progress and some evenings doing various activiites etc. I've found it really manageable. Next year I plan to complete 120 credits within the year but perhaps go down to 4 days working so that I have an extra day to focus on studies and will complete much sooner overall.
So to answer your question. Work parttime do 120 units in 1 year. Work fulltime I recommend taking 2 years to complete. Noone needs the stress of fulltime job and fulltime study. Especially after a significant time out and if doing level 3.
I can recommend some of the free short courses on OU or recorded online tutorials, just to refresh your memory on referencing and academic writing.
-Eirlys-
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Elffaw89)
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for people's experience studying through the open university. I'm 30 years old, work full time, and I am looking to complete my BA(hons) degree I started nearly 10 years ago. I have been accepted for a credit transfer, and I need only 120 credits to complete my degree. How feasible would this be to complete, in about two years, whilst working part time. A tutor I asked from the OU suggested that a 60 credit module would take a year to compete. Has anybody finished this sooner?

Any information would be great. How have people got on with a BA(Hons) Open degree? Does it hold similar clout to a subject specific degree?

Thanks in advance
Yes you could do 120 credits in two years. You wouldn't be able to shorten the year for a 60 credit module, the academic term is about 8 months finishing in the summer and starting again in October of the same year.
Lexee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
You could do 120 credits in a year but at levels 2 and 3 it could affect your marks. I only ever took 60 credits a year and that was enough especially if you work or have a family.

An open degree will give you a wide range of skills to use in the workplace, however if you are aiming for a particular career, then go for a named one if it will give you the specialized skills that you would need in that career.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are your mock exams going?

Love them - Feeling positive (15)
7.89%
They've been reasonable (78)
41.05%
Not feeling great... (50)
26.32%
They are TERRIBLE! (47)
24.74%

Watched Threads