The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open university experience

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for people's experience studying through the open university. I'm 30 years old, work full time, and I am looking to complete my BA(hons) degree I started nearly 10 years ago. I have been accepted for a credit transfer, and I need only 120 credits to complete my degree. How feasible would this be to complete, in about two years, whilst working part time. A tutor I asked from the OU suggested that a 60 credit module would take a year to compete. Has anybody finished this sooner?

Any information would be great. How have people got on with a BA(Hons) Open degree? Does it hold similar clout to a subject specific degree?

Thanks in advance
Reply 1
HI I'm currently studying an Open degree (started Oct 19). Do you need to complete level 3 modules?
Ive continued to work full time and done a 60 unit course (level 1) and found it very easy to complete - as long as you are mindful of deadlines and dates for forums and online tutorials. Ive never had to decline / decrease social activities and just spent several hours on a Saturday or Sunday making significant progress and some evenings doing various activiites etc. I've found it really manageable. Next year I plan to complete 120 credits within the year but perhaps go down to 4 days working so that I have an extra day to focus on studies and will complete much sooner overall.
So to answer your question. Work parttime do 120 units in 1 year. Work fulltime I recommend taking 2 years to complete. Noone needs the stress of fulltime job and fulltime study. Especially after a significant time out and if doing level 3.
I can recommend some of the free short courses on OU or recorded online tutorials, just to refresh your memory on referencing and academic writing.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by Elffaw89
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for people's experience studying through the open university. I'm 30 years old, work full time, and I am looking to complete my BA(hons) degree I started nearly 10 years ago. I have been accepted for a credit transfer, and I need only 120 credits to complete my degree. How feasible would this be to complete, in about two years, whilst working part time. A tutor I asked from the OU suggested that a 60 credit module would take a year to compete. Has anybody finished this sooner?

Any information would be great. How have people got on with a BA(Hons) Open degree? Does it hold similar clout to a subject specific degree?

Thanks in advance

Yes you could do 120 credits in two years. You wouldn't be able to shorten the year for a 60 credit module, the academic term is about 8 months finishing in the summer and starting again in October of the same year.
Reply 3
You could do 120 credits in a year but at levels 2 and 3 it could affect your marks. I only ever took 60 credits a year and that was enough especially if you work or have a family.

An open degree will give you a wide range of skills to use in the workplace, however if you are aiming for a particular career, then go for a named one if it will give you the specialized skills that you would need in that career.

Quick Reply

Latest