Chickpea97
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm 22 years old (23 next month) and I graduated University last year with a degree in textile design. I loved my degree and had a great time at uni, but constantly felt as though the course was never fulling enough for me intellectually and in terms of learning new skills. Each year of the course felt like a repeat of the last and when I graduated, I realised that I hadn't really learned anything besides how to use photoshop and illustrator and how to do screen printing. I do have a strong passion for art, but also a need to learn that really wasn't being satisfied and although I enjoyed the work I was doing, I felt I wasn't getting anywhere with it. I became quite depressed and really felt like quitting because of this in the final year.

I had the summer to relax and think about things and in September I started looking for fashion design/apparel design jobs or similar things with no luck, even until now. It sounds ridiculous, but I haven't found a job since I graduated 😩.

I applied for universal credit to help get me by and with that, you get a work coach, but he's really not very helpful and I don't know who else to ask for help really😂.

Recently I've been thinking about pursuing veterinary sciences as its been a lifelong dream of mine to be a vet, but took art instead which is my other passion. My brother is currently studying it and loves it and I feel like I may have made a mistake with my career choices. My dad is a doctor and regularly reminds me that if I had chosen a medical degree that I would be earning a lot by now (I'm sure others with parents who are doctors can relate😂) which makes me feel even worse and makes me feel like my degree isn't a 'proper degree'

I was wondering if anyone had any advice or similar experiences to this? I was considering doing an access course around Manchester or Liverpool. There is one in Liverpool which only has 5 places, so id have to do all the work experience with a very slim chance of even getting in. I'm literally at my wits end with what to do with myself, if anyone has any advice, I would be most grateful!!!!☺️ (sorry for the rant)
steamed-hams
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
grad entry into veterinary medicine courses?
Chickpea97
Rep:
?
(Original post by steamed-hams)
grad entry into veterinary medicine courses?
Don't you need to have done a science related degree for that?
laurenjayne1234
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Chickpea97)
I'm 22 years old (23 next month) and I graduated University last year with a degree in textile design. I loved my degree and had a great time at uni, but constantly felt as though the course was never fulling enough for me intellectually and in terms of learning new skills. Each year of the course felt like a repeat of the last and when I graduated, I realised that I hadn't really learned anything besides how to use photoshop and illustrator and how to do screen printing. I do have a strong passion for art, but also a need to learn that really wasn't being satisfied and although I enjoyed the work I was doing, I felt I wasn't getting anywhere with it. I became quite depressed and really felt like quitting because of this in the final year.

I had the summer to relax and think about things and in September I started looking for fashion design/apparel design jobs or similar things with no luck, even until now. It sounds ridiculous, but I haven't found a job since I graduated 😩.

I applied for universal credit to help get me by and with that, you get a work coach, but he's really not very helpful and I don't know who else to ask for help really😂.

Recently I've been thinking about pursuing veterinary sciences as its been a lifelong dream of mine to be a vet, but took art instead which is my other passion. My brother is currently studying it and loves it and I feel like I may have made a mistake with my career choices. My dad is a doctor and regularly reminds me that if I had chosen a medical degree that I would be earning a lot by now (I'm sure others with parents who are doctors can relate😂) which makes me feel even worse and makes me feel like my degree isn't a 'proper degree'

I was wondering if anyone had any advice or similar experiences to this? I was considering doing an access course around Manchester or Liverpool. There is one in Liverpool which only has 5 places, so id have to do all the work experience with a very slim chance of even getting in. I'm literally at my wits end with what to do with myself, if anyone has any advice, I would be most grateful!!!!☺️ (sorry for the rant)
DO ITTT!
I did the liverpool year 0! One of 5 places sounds scary so I nearly put myself off applying!
I applied on deadline day, got an interview, got a place and now I'm in my first year of vet school at 24 years old. Others that did the course are in their late 20's, 30's... it doesn't matter!

I am so glad I went for it, don't let things put you off!
The great thing with liverpool is that if you get your place on foundation veterinary, as long as you pass, it is an automatic progression to their first year with no re-applying.

I wish you all the best and feel free to ask any questions!

Lauren x
Chickpea97
Rep:
?
(Original post by laurenjayne1234)
DO ITTT!
I did the liverpool year 0! One of 5 places sounds scary so I nearly put myself off applying!
I applied on deadline day, got an interview, got a place and now I'm in my first year of vet school at 24 years old. Others that did the course are in their late 20's, 30's... it doesn't matter!

I am so glad I went for it, don't let things put you off!
The great thing with liverpool is that if you get your place on foundation veterinary, as long as you pass, it is an automatic progression to their first year with no re-applying.

I wish you all the best and feel free to ask any questions!

Lauren x
Congrats on getting into Liverpool!! What was the application process like? Did you have to do lots of work experience before applying, or do they let you have time to do it during the course? It's really weird how there are only 5 places and it's the only veterinary access course in the north west area 😂, it must be really competitive! Did you consider any other options for getting into a veterinary course? Sorry for all the questions!!
Pinkdaisy000
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As others have said go for it.

Contact the university’s to find out what you need to do to be considered.
I’m 26, have B/C grade GCSEs and didn’t complete A levels as my physical health dropped. My health has improved, so am looking at veterinary medicine. Bristol, Surrey and Nottingham will consider me if I do well in a science access to HE course (They require a distinction with 15 points in biology and chemistry) and meet the work experience requirements.

The Liverpool year 0 is for people who have been out of education for at least 5 years and don’t have A levels or equivalent (I believe.) I applied for this September but am not holding my breath. I also have interviews for Access to HE courses later this month.

As previously said contact university’s about your situation (include grades) and they will let you know what you need to do to get in. If you have good GCSEs and science A levels you might not have to do much.

Also I believe Nottingham offer a preliminary course, designed for people who haven’t gone the science route but have good grades anyway.

So, what I’m saying is if I have a shot and am hopeful you definitely have a fair chance and hope too.
Chickpea97
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Pinkdaisy000)

I’m 26, have B/C grade GCSEs and didn’t complete A levels as my physical health dropped. My health has improved, so am looking at veterinary medicine. Bristol, Surrey and Nottingham will consider me if I do well in a science access to HE course (They require a distinction with 15 points in biology and chemistry) and meet the work experience requirements.

The Liverpool year 0 is for people who have been out of education for at least 5 years and don’t have A levels or equivalent (I believe.) I applied for this September but am not holding my breath. I also have interviews for Access to HE courses later this month.

As previously said contact university’s about your situation (include grades) and they will let you know what you need to do to get in. If you have good GCSEs and science A levels you might not have to do much.

Also I believe Nottingham offer a preliminary course, designed for people who haven’t gone the science route but have good grades anyway.

So, what I’m saying is if I have a shot and am hopeful you definitely have a fair chance and hope too.
So you can definitely get in if you do a science access HE course? I've been hearing mixed things about that, but if the universities have been saying they'll give you a place then that's great! Where are you doing yours and do you know other places that do them?

I don't think I'd be able to do the year 0 course then, but I'll still check and have a look at Nottingham and others too.

Ahh thank you! Hope your interviews go well☺️
Pinkdaisy000
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Chickpea97)
So you can definitely get in if you do a science access HE course? I've been hearing mixed things about that, but if the universities have been saying they'll give you a place then that's great! Where are you doing yours and do you know other places that do them?

I don't think I'd be able to do the year 0 course then, but I'll still check and have a look at Nottingham and others too.

Ahh thank you! Hope your interviews go well☺️
Apologies for how long this is, hope its not too overwhelming.

here are the replies I’ve had from different universities.

1. RVC: 5 GCSEs at grade A/7 including science with a minimum B in English language, maths and physics (if separate science taken). Access to HE “must be Science-based and include a minimum of 15 Level 3 credits in Biology at Distinction and 15 Level 3 credits in Chemistry at Distinction. You must achieve at least Merit in all other graded Level 3 credits.”

2. Glasgow needs 4 A GCSEs and accept the medical access to HE course ran at Glasgow Kelvin College

3. Nottingham requires B in English language and Maths at GCSE and a science access to HE (60 credits overall with 45 at level 3, of which 30 credits must be distinction.)

4. Bristol: C in both maths and English GCSE and “Pass Access to HE Diploma (Animal Management, Applied Science, Life Science, Medicine or Science) with at least 30 credits at Distinction and 15 at Merit, including 15 credits in Chemistry and one of Biology, Physics or Maths with at least 12 graded level 3 credits in each at Distinction. “

5. Surrey 7 Cs at GCSE and either AAB A levels (A’s in biology and chemistry) or “QAA-recognised Access to Higher Education Diplomas (for which we request 39 Level 3 Credits at Distinction, including 15 in Biology and Chemistry (each), and 6 Level 3 Credits at Merit) or the Birkbeck CertHE Life Sciences for Subjects Allied to Medicine (which requires a distinction overall and distinctions in all Biology and Chemistry modules).”

6. Harper keele requires 5 GCSEs at grades at A/7 including science at a minimum of B in English language, maths and physics (if separate science taken). the access to HE course must be science based, pass with 45 level 3 credits at distinction. Minimum of 15 level 3 credits in biology or chemistry and an additional 15 level 3 credits in a second science subject.

7. Liverpool AAABBBB GCSEs including Mathematics, English and Physics (either as a separate subject or as Dual Award Science). Kitemarked level 3 Access to Medicine at pre-approved colleges is required with a minimum of 15 credits in Biology and a minimum of 15 credits in Chemistry. Approval MUST be obtained prior to application. Please contact the Admissions Office for further information.

Also harper keele say this about graduates: Normally minimum 2i in any honours degree plus minimum of BBB at A-level, including biology or chemistry; students with good degrees (1st or 2i) in an animal-related or bioscience discipline who do not meet the A-level requirements are welcome to apply and will be considered on a case-by-case basis alongside all other applicants.

the email reply I received from Surrey contained “the University encourages applications from mature applicants who hold previous degrees, embracing the fact that mature students can make a valuable contribution to University life through their range of experience and qualifications. “

Most colleges offer access to HE courses (and online websites offer them too, but I know RVC don’t count the online courses so maybe other unis won’t too). Where I live there are 5 colleges within an hours drive that offer science access to HE courses. I would suggest looking at your local college websites to see what they offer.
However don’t expect much detail on the courses, only 1 college has any course breakdown all the others just have the title of the course and an apply button. So I’m going to the interviews with lots of questions!

I do have a course breakdown for a medicine route science access to HE course if you want to look at that to help understand the points system more.

Also if you haven’t already, start finding work experience placements as all the universities require some on top of qualifications (veterinary practices get booked well in advance).

I really hope that was helpful/makes sense.
Im so sorry for the big text dump.
(Thanks about the interviews ^_^)
Chickpea97
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Apologies for how long this is, hope its not too overwhelming.

here are the replies I’ve had from different universities.

1. RVC: 5 GCSEs at grade A/7 including science with a minimum B in English language, maths and physics (if separate science taken). Access to HE “must be Science-based and include a minimum of 15 Level 3 credits in Biology at Distinction and 15 Level 3 credits in Chemistry at Distinction. You must achieve at least Merit in all other graded Level 3 credits.”

2. Glasgow needs 4 A GCSEs and accept the medical access to HE course ran at Glasgow Kelvin College

3. Nottingham requires B in English language and Maths at GCSE and a science access to HE (60 credits overall with 45 at level 3, of which 30 credits must be distinction.)

4. Bristol: C in both maths and English GCSE and “Pass Access to HE Diploma (Animal Management, Applied Science, Life Science, Medicine or Science) with at least 30 credits at Distinction and 15 at Merit, including 15 credits in Chemistry and one of Biology, Physics or Maths with at least 12 graded level 3 credits in each at Distinction. “

5. Surrey 7 Cs at GCSE and either AAB A levels (A’s in biology and chemistry) or “QAA-recognised Access to Higher Education Diplomas (for which we request 39 Level 3 Credits at Distinction, including 15 in Biology and Chemistry (each), and 6 Level 3 Credits at Merit) or the Birkbeck CertHE Life Sciences for Subjects Allied to Medicine (which requires a distinction overall and distinctions in all Biology and Chemistry modules).”

6. Harper keele requires 5 GCSEs at grades at A/7 including science at a minimum of B in English language, maths and physics (if separate science taken). the access to HE course must be science based, pass with 45 level 3 credits at distinction. Minimum of 15 level 3 credits in biology or chemistry and an additional 15 level 3 credits in a second science subject.

7. Liverpool AAABBBB GCSEs including Mathematics, English and Physics (either as a separate subject or as Dual Award Science). Kitemarked level 3 Access to Medicine at pre-approved colleges is required with a minimum of 15 credits in Biology and a minimum of 15 credits in Chemistry. Approval MUST be obtained prior to application. Please contact the Admissions Office for further information.

Also harper keele say this about graduates: Normally minimum 2i in any honours degree plus minimum of BBB at A-level, including biology or chemistry; students with good degrees (1st or 2i) in an animal-related or bioscience discipline who do not meet the A-level requirements are welcome to apply and will be considered on a case-by-case basis alongside all other applicants.

the email reply I received from Surrey contained “the University encourages applications from mature applicants who hold previous degrees, embracing the fact that mature students can make a valuable contribution to University life through their range of experience and qualifications. “

Most colleges offer access to HE courses (and online websites offer them too, but I know RVC don’t count the online courses so maybe other unis won’t too). Where I live there are 5 colleges within an hours drive that offer science access to HE courses. I would suggest looking at your local college websites to see what they offer.
However don’t expect much detail on the courses, only 1 college has any course breakdown all the others just have the title of the course and an apply button. So I’m going to the interviews with lots of questions!

I do have a course breakdown for a medicine route science access to HE course if you want to look at that to help understand the points system more.

Also if you haven’t already, start finding work experience placements as all the universities require some on top of qualifications (veterinary practices get booked well in advance).

I really hope that was helpful/makes sense.
Im so sorry for the big text dump.
(Thanks about the interviews ^_^)
Honestly thank you for taking the time to type that! I'm glad they all accept access courses of some sort, there are about 3 colleges within an hours drive from me that offer them. It's so annoying the closest colleges to me offer no HE science courses at all! And yeah it is frustrating how the colleges often don't provide a full breakdown of the courses, but I assume they must have a basic curriculum set.

Ooh could you possibly send me the breakdown for how a medicine route science access to HE course works?

Most uni's suggest about 6 weeks of mixed work experience, right? I'm stressing trying to plan all of this in my head😂.

This was really helpful, thank you!!
Popsicle_pirate
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Before looking into access courses I suggest doing a good few weeks of work experience to make sure it is for you. From your post it is difficult to tell if you really want to be a vet or if struggling to find a job in the textiles industry coupled with what your dad says and looking in on your brother's studies is influencing you?
TheWannabeFarmer
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You have definitely not left it too late!
When I started the course (at Liverpool) I was 21, and many people were my age or above - Plenty of postgrads so you wouldn't be out of place at all
Can't comment on your specifics I just took years out from education working but had the A levels but if you're determined enough the sky's the limit?

At Liverpool we have a foundation year which may work for you but you'd have to check the requirements
An alternative is if you have the GCSE/A level grades required to just apply for the standard 5 year D100 course (we have no grad short course)
louisvbird
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

RVC and Harper/Keele also accept Access BTW Don't know if this helps to give you more options.

Liverpool accepts some Access Courses.

EDIT: I've just seen your big masterpost of it, nevermind!
Last edited by louisvbird; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (369)
67.21%
No (180)
32.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise