The Student Room Group

How can an atheist become Christian?

even if religion is false, i want to become religious (preferably christian) because religious people are signifincantly less likely to experience depression or nihilism if they genuinely believe in their religion. key word being 'genuinely'. so, christians, should i just start reading the bible and learning about christianity? thanks :smile:

side note: dont waste your time if youre gonna trash religion

Scroll to see replies

Read the Bible and see how you get on.
Reply 2
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
Read the Bible and see how you get on.

yeah that seems like the first step at least
Moved to Faith And Spirituality :h:
But if you're an atheist and say 'religion is false' then how will you ever genuinely believe?

If you really think you can change your mind, you should visit someone at the church and let them persuade you
Reply 5
Become a Muslim rather than follow a religion for the feel good factor.

Ask Allah (God) to guide you to Islam if it is the truth and be hopeful that he will and expect signs.
Reply 6
Original post by Hetilo
But if you're an atheist and say 'religion is false' then how will you ever genuinely believe?

If you really think you can change your mind, you should visit someone at the church and let them persuade you

thats a good idea. also, i say religion is false but havent actually read the bible so im really just talking a load of crap when i say that. i was sort of raised as an atheist but i dislike being atheist since its probably why i feel hopeless often.
Reply 7
Original post by Nwxr
Become a Muslim rather than follow a religion for the feel good factor.

Ask Allah (God) to guide you to Islam if it is the truth and be hopeful that he will and expect signs.

not interested in islam sorry, ive actually looked into islam a bit and its not for me
Interesting question which I'm not really sure how to answer. Obviously I welcome anyone who is interested in Christianity to find out more! But it sounds as if your dissatisfaction from life doesn't come from a conviction that religion might be true, but perhaps life circumstances and/or poor mental health. In any case, I'd say being a Christian throws up as many questions as it may answer! :moon: :iiam: :moon:

I think there are lots of ways to be happier/more satisfied with life, and religion isn't necessarily going to provide the comfort/answers you are seeking. I think you'd be better off trying to find secular help rather than potentially burying your head in the sand that can be religion... :dontknow:

That said, reading bits of the Bible is a good place to start (I agree with the person above who says the Gospels are the best starting place) and talking to people of faith in your local community. If you are at university, I would urge you to NOT approach the Christian Union, as they are rather blinkered and dogmatic and will take advantage of any perceived ill health or mental vulnerability you may have, in order to try and "save your soul" :sadnod:

Tread gently but carefully! And don't limit yourself by denomination, at least not to start with. Once you've got a better idea about who Jesus is and why we find Him important, if you still think Christianity may be for you, then by all means explore different churches and congregations by church-hopping :h:
Don't think belief in god is a requirement for being a Christian! There are some Christian Churches which think there is no god and Jesus was a metaphor (I believe the Church of epiphany in Norway if i'm not mistaken).
Sadly your CU experience seems to be in the minority of positive experiences that I've heard about (on here, Facebook and IRL, across various unis) :frown: But I am glad if you feel you were treated well at Soton :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Interesting question which I'm not really sure how to answer. Obviously I welcome anyone who is interested in Christianity to find out more! But it sounds as if your dissatisfaction from life doesn't come from a conviction that religion might be true, but perhaps life circumstances and/or poor mental health. In any case, I'd say being a Christian throws up as many questions as it may answer! :moon: :iiam: :moon:

I think there are lots of ways to be happier/more satisfied with life, and religion isn't necessarily going to provide the comfort/answers you are seeking. I think you'd be better off trying to find secular help rather than potentially burying your head in the sand that can be religion... :dontknow:

That said, reading bits of the Bible is a good place to start (I agree with the person above who says the Gospels are the best starting place) and talking to people of faith in your local community. If you are at university, I would urge you to NOT approach the Christian Union, as they are rather blinkered and dogmatic and will take advantage of any perceived ill health or mental vulnerability you may have, in order to try and "save your soul" :sadnod:

Tread gently but carefully! And don't limit yourself by denomination, at least not to start with. Once you've got a better idea about who Jesus is and why we find Him important, if you still think Christianity may be for you, then by all means explore different churches and congregations by church-hopping :h:

thank you :smile: my mental health isnt terrible but it isnt great. im not depressed or have any mental illnesses. i just want a purpose in life and am able to see the proven benefits that christianity offers. plus when i say im an atheist, what i really mean is that i believe in god and always have but i just never cared for religion or bothered to learn about christianity. ive been having many doubts about gods existence too thanks to the internet but maybe christianity can tighten my faith. cheers, ill check out the gospels as well as various local churches
Original post by Toscana
even if religion is false, i want to become religious (preferably christian) because religious people are signifincantly less likely to experience depression or nihilism if they genuinely believe in their religion. key word being 'genuinely'. so, christians, should i just start reading the bible and learning about christianity? thanks :smile:

Praise the Lord! As a fellow Catholic hearing this want and inner desire to seek the truth and to be wanted hs truly made my day and I thank God I came across this! Let me explain a little of my life experience. I was brought up as a normal Syro-Malabar Catholic (basically i am an Indian Catholic) and this whole Jesus was a norm but the first days of January this year I experienced the love of God and His will to save souls. This was a retreat conducted near Glasgow by the Sheion team who under the influence of the Holy spirit gave me the best gift ever - to feel the presence of God and to be happy not of things of the world or be worried about my daily life problems but to praise God and to build myself in Christ to work for him and to be with him in eternal life. Why did I say this to you? At the beginning I was basically an atheist with the title of believer - what I am telling you is its never too late to turn to God and I urge to be resilient in the little wish of finding Jesus. Mathew 7:7 " Ask, and it will be given to you: search and you will find: kock, and the door will be opened to you." If you need ANY help or guidance remember God, Jesus, Holy Spirit, Mother Mary, your guardian angels, saints and all of heaven wants to rescue your soul - ask with confidence. Please do ask if you want some help from me. God bless.
Original post by Toscana
thank you :smile: my mental health isnt terrible but it isnt great. im not depressed or have any mental illnesses. i just want a purpose in life and am able to see the proven benefits that christianity offers. plus when i say im an atheist, what i really mean is that i believe in god and always have but i just never cared for religion or bothered to learn about christianity. ive been having many doubts about gods existence too thanks to the internet but maybe christianity can tighten my faith. cheers, ill check out the gospels as well as various local churches

Ah OK, that's understandable to want a purpose in life (not that religion automatically/necessarily provides the immediate answer to that: life-long Roman Catholic here and I'm still trying to figure out what I'm on this planet for :biggrin: ). Just don't let anyone (of any faith or none) pressure you into seeing things "their way". Seek and hopefully you shall find! :moon:
Reply 14
thank you, ill have to learn more about it and if i like it then ill stick to it
Reply 15
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Ah OK, that's understandable to want a purpose in life (not that religion automatically/necessarily provides the immediate answer to that: life-long Roman Catholic here and I'm still trying to figure out what I'm on this planet for :biggrin: ). Just don't let anyone (of any faith or none) pressure you into seeing things "their way". Seek and hopefully you shall find! :moon:

ah i see, thanks so much bro, hopefully i take a liking to christianity lol
Original post by Toscana

To become truely Christian you need to acknowledge that you have sinned before God and that your sin deserves punishment off God, because He is not only loving but also Holy and Just. You then need to repent of your sin and ask Christ into your life to forgive you your sin and believe he died for you on the cross
Reply 17
Original post by Toscana

Are you actually an atheist i.e. you don't believe in God or do you just not follow any religion? If you are an atheist then I don't see how "advice" here will make you change your mind.
Reply 18
Original post by AlenJoseph
Praise the Lord! As a fellow Catholic hearing this want and inner desire to seek the truth and to be wanted hs truly made my day and I thank God I came across this! Let me explain a little of my life experience. I was brought up as a normal Syro-Malabar Catholic (basically i am an Indian Catholic) and this whole Jesus was a norm but the first days of January this year I experienced the love of God and His will to save souls. This was a retreat conducted near Glasgow by the Sheion team who under the influence of the Holy spirit gave me the best gift ever - to feel the presence of God and to be happy not of things of the world or be worried about my daily life problems but to praise God and to build myself in Christ to work for him and to be with him in eternal life. Why did I say this to you? At the beginning I was basically an atheist with the title of believer - what I am telling you is its never too late to turn to God and I urge to be resilient in the little wish of finding Jesus. Mathew 7:7 " Ask, and it will be given to you: search and you will find: kock, and the door will be opened to you." If you need ANY help or guidance remember God, Jesus, Holy Spirit, Mother Mary, your guardian angels, saints and all of heaven wants to rescue your soul - ask with confidence. Please do ask if you want some help from me. God bless.

haha thank you :smile: glad it made your day. dont celebrate yet though, im not a christian and im not even sure if i will ever be a christian. however, i will most certainly learn a lot about it in hopes of it clicking with me and convincing me to become a christian
Reply 19
Original post by Sir Cumference
Are you actually an atheist i.e. you don't believe in God or do you just not follow any religion? If you are an atheist then I don't see how "advice" here will make you change your mind.

i just dont follow any religion. however, are you implying that theres no hope for atheists who want to change their mind?

Quick Reply

Latest