The Student Room Group

Applying for law through clearing

Is there a chance that universities will accept you to change your course to law through clearing?

I understand that law is highly competitive so the chances may be pretty slim, but if you get the grades and there is space available, is it possible?
I went to school with a girl who did, so it is possible.
Like you said, its a competitive course so there may not be many spaces (atleast, not at your desired Uni or location but), so long as you got the grades it is possible.
Original post by originalbiscotti
I went to school with a girl who did, so it is possible.
Like you said, its a competitive course so there may not be many spaces (atleast, not at your desired Uni or location but), so long as you got the grades it is possible.

Thank you!
Original post by studentmin
Is there a chance that universities will accept you to change your course to law through clearing?

I understand that law is highly competitive so the chances may be pretty slim, but if you get the grades and there is space available, is it possible?

Yes it is perfectly possible if the unis have vacancies and don't require the LNAT. These are the unis we know had Law vacancies in Clearing last year and didn't require the LNAT:

Birmingham AAA but places filled by 10am on A level results day
QMUL LLB vacancies at AAA
Sheffield LLB vacancies at AAA/AAB
Newcastle LLB ABB
Southampton LLB vacancies ABB (reportedly accepted BBC)
Cardiff .....ABB (reportedly lower) vacancies not published until A level results
Exeter vacancies for LLB at BBB (or BCC with Business) at Penryn
(those who missed their offer by even one grade got revised offer at Penryn)
Lancaster LLB vacancies BBB/BBC
Queens Uni Belfast LLB ABC/BBB
Leicester uni LLB vacancies BBB, reportedly accepted ABD
Liverpool LLB only in early Clearing for those achieving around BBB/BBC
SOAS BBB/BBC
Surrey LLB vacancies at BBB/BBC
Sussex LLB vacancies at BBC
Kent LLB vacancies at BBC
Keele LLB vacancies at BBC
Sheffield Hallam BBC
Aston LLB Law & Management BBC
City Uni LLB BBC/BCC
Reading reportedly went down to BCD
UEA, RHUL, Keele, Swansea, Hull LLB vacancies (grades not known)
Oxford Brookes LLB 96 UCAS points
Original post by harrysbar
Yes it is perfectly possible if the unis have vacancies and don't require the LNAT. These are the unis we know had Law vacancies in Clearing last year and didn't require the LNAT:

Birmingham AAA but places filled by 10am on A level results day
QMUL LLB vacancies at AAA
Sheffield LLB vacancies at AAA/AAB
Newcastle LLB ABB
Southampton LLB vacancies ABB (reportedly accepted BBC)
Cardiff .....ABB (reportedly lower) vacancies not published until A level results
Exeter vacancies for LLB at BBB (or BCC with Business) at Penryn
(those who missed their offer by even one grade got revised offer at Penryn)
Lancaster LLB vacancies BBB/BBC
Queens Uni Belfast LLB ABC/BBB
Leicester uni LLB vacancies BBB, reportedly accepted ABD
Liverpool LLB only in early Clearing for those achieving around BBB/BBC
SOAS BBB/BBC
Surrey LLB vacancies at BBB/BBC
Sussex LLB vacancies at BBC
Kent LLB vacancies at BBC
Keele LLB vacancies at BBC
Sheffield Hallam BBC
Aston LLB Law & Management BBC
City Uni LLB BBC/BCC
Reading reportedly went down to BCD
UEA, RHUL, Keele, Swansea, Hull LLB vacancies (grades not known)
Oxford Brookes LLB 96 UCAS points

Thank you very much for this!!

Another question. If I have already taken the LNAT (but ended up applying for a different course), can I apply (to LNAT unis) from clearing also?
Another question. If I have already taken the LNAT (but ended up applying for a different course), can I apply (to LNAT unis) from clearing also?

As J Papi says, most LNAT unis won't be in Clearing anyway although Bristol were in Adjustment for Home students with A*AA and didn't require the LNAT.

Someone told me last year that a couple of girls from her school got into Nottingham via Clearing first thing on A level results day, although Nottingham didn't advertise vacancies. She said they were only able to do this because they had already sat the LNAT
Reply 6
It depends on grades.
Ah, okay. Thank you!
Original post by harrysbar
As J Papi says, most LNAT unis won't be in Clearing anyway although Bristol were in Adjustment for Home students with A*AA and didn't require the LNAT.

Someone told me last year that a couple of girls from her school got into Nottingham via Clearing first thing on A level results day, although Nottingham didn't advertise vacancies. She said they were only able to do this because they had already sat the LNAT

Bristol was the one I was mainly wondering about. I have already sat the LNAT but haven't applied for law and I just wanted to know if there was a possibility to change courses (on the day of results).

Thank you!
Bristol was the one I was mainly wondering about. I have already sat the LNAT but haven't applied for law and I just wanted to know if there was a possibility to change courses (on the day of results).

Thank you!

There will be a chance to apply to Bristol if they are in Adjustment or Clearing this year.

Have you applied to Bristol for a different course? If so, it would be worth giving their Admissions a call now to see if you could switch courses - if you have the predicted grades for Law? Or you could consider applying to them if they are advertising Law vacancies in UCAS Extra next month.

You don't have to worry about the Personal Statement for Bristol - they don't read it according to @returnmigrant and in fact they state on their website that their Law offers are made on the basis of A levels (40%) LNAT (40%) and GCSEs (20%)

Thank you!

If you have taken LNAT, yes they might consider you for Law - but you should contact them asap if you want to do this.
If you ask in August (assuming you get the grades) then you might get a switch but its a bit more risky.
Original post by returnmigrant
If you have taken LNAT, yes they might consider you for Law - but you should contact them asap if you want to do this.
If you ask in August (assuming you get the grades) then you might get a switch but its a bit more risky.

Unfortunately my school did not set my predicted grades to what I needed them to be for (Bristol) law, despite me getting the grades I need and higher in my lesson exams and what not. So I'm just hoping I manage to get the grades I need on results day and then manage to switch.

Thank you for the reply!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending