Which is the best place to live as a student (Oxford or Sheffield)?

Watch
Bhavesh26
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I have got offers from Sheffield Hallam and Oxford Brookes.
Please help me with selecting one city or one university as I want to experience everything like nightclubs, city life, student life and most importantly I want to know which city’s people are helpful and peaceful as I will be an international student so it matters to me.
Cheesybread
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
In terms of city life and nightclubs Sheffield is better as you also have meadowhall, big shopping area. I don't know about the ratio of international students at Oxford Brookes but there is a lot at Hallam
Bhavesh26
Rep:
?
So should I consider Sheffield Hallam instead of Oxford brookes?
Course is ms in business management
Anonymous #1
Report 2 months ago
I'm a student at Sheffield Hallam, so I'd say Sheffield, we're a bigger place anyway with Population: 518,090 (2011) vs Oxford at Population: 154,600 (2017), so I'd expect a lot more nightlife from Sheffield especially with 2 large universities so close together the walk for Hallam to the uni of is a lot of smaller and international style shops, also we have 3 weather-spoons close to the uni and typically the overall environment of northern areas is more welcoming so people adjust to it easier as people are more open along with that if you get home sick Sheffield is relatively central so you'll be quiet close to home or if you want to travel that easier too, being 4 and a half hours from Edinburgh and 3 hours 15 from London, being central means de-stressing is a lot easier too as we have more natural beauty and open space for outdoor activities such as paint balling; hopefully this helps you we'll be in a similar field so I my even see you on campus if you chose SHU
Bhavesh26
Rep:
?
Thankyou! This helps.
Cheesybread
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Bhavesh26)
So should I consider Sheffield Hallam instead of Oxford brookes?
Course is ms in business management
Yes
Sheffield Hallam University
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Please help me with selecting one city or one university as I want to experience everything like nightclubs, city life, student life and most importantly I want to know which city’s people are helpful and peaceful as I will be an international student so it matters to me.
Hi Bhavesh26,

Congratulations on your offer to study at Hallam! Where are you from? We love to welcome international students from all over the world to Sheffield, it is a great city with nightlife scenes to suit every taste, a thriving music scene, hundreds of independent restaurants and businesses and the Peak District National Park to explore right on our doorstep. You can find more about what there is to do here.

Although Sheffield is the 5th largest city in the UK, the city centre is easy to get around and Sheffield Hallam is in the heart of the city so you will have everything you need nearby. Most student halls are around 10 minutes from campus which is really convenient - will you be living in halls?

You can find much more about what we offer for international students here and more about why we won University of the Year for Teaching Quality here. We put together a video about how we help international students settle in when they arrive, you can watch this here. Our international students find Sheffield soon feels like home when they come here, watch this video to find out why!

You can also talk to students on a similar to course to you about their experience here. :five:

Let me know if you have anymore questions about your course or studying at Hallam!

- Ella :hello:
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
So ive lived in Oxford (& i know people who went uni at Uni of Sheffield).

My impression is Sheffield has a more student vibe to it, and better nightlife, citylife wise it depends what you want Oxford city centre is quite unusual but does have some really nice spots. I would say to live in Oxford is like a fine vintage whiskey whereas Sheffield is Jack daniels, Oxford is a really nice place for some grub and to chill in some reclusive or rooftop bars. No doubt Sheffield has some good pubs a more traditional (and bigger city) and probably a more lively social scene.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (52)
61.18%
No (33)
38.82%

Watched Threads